The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

I am a parent and a teacher, my daughter has applied for Earth Sciences. we liked UCL, it has a good reputation and good facilities, so I think you would like it. It is situated in central London, so accommodation is quite pricey. We have not visited any of your other choices. Good luck.
Reply 321
I'm a little slow, but I got my offer from Durham yesterday!!! It's my first choice at AAB, and I'll use my Southampton ABB offer as my insurance. I'm so happy!
It seems like a lot of Durham Geology applicants got an offer yesterday?
Reply 322
Anyone got an offer from Exeter yet? I sent my application off late october and am yet to hear back...
Original post by Georty
I'm a little slow, but I got my offer from Durham yesterday!!! It's my first choice at AAB, and I'll use my Southampton ABB offer as my insurance. I'm so happy!
It seems like a lot of Durham Geology applicants got an offer yesterday?

Whooo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Original post by Oxfordians13
I am a parent and a teacher, my daughter has applied for Earth Sciences. we liked UCL, it has a good reputation and good facilities, so I think you would like it. It is situated in central London, so accommodation is quite pricey. We have not visited any of your other choices. Good luck.

Thank you for the response! Yeah I've heard that UCL's facilities are impressive and that the department is friendly. Edinburgh is actually my first choice but I've not heard much about their facilities or the course I'm applying for in general. If it's not as good as my other choices I may have to reconsider. Depending on whether I do get an offer or not, of course!

Also, is it true that the living cost in Edinburgh is a little less than in London?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 325
Original post by lauttes
Thank you for the response! Yeah I've heard that UCL's facilities are impressive and that the department is friendly. Edinburgh is actually my first choice but I've not heard much about their facilities or the course I'm applying for in general. If it's not as good as my other choices I may have to reconsider. Depending on whether I do get an offer or not, of course!

Also, is it true that the living cost in Edinburgh is a little less than in London?

Just answering your last question. Yes, Edinburgh is 'cheaper' than London, but it being the capital of Scotland, i still wouldn't concider it cheap. :smile:
I got my Durham offer yesterday :smile: AAB !

Now the impossible choice of Imperial AAA or Durham as my firm :I
Original post by lauttes

We visited Glasgow and Edinburgh open days and my son spent a week at Durham on a summer school. Edinburgh was disappointing, the department has definitely seen better days and is in need of a major refurbishment. From memory they have plans for a new earth science department but that is several years off. My son loved Glasgow and I'm pretty sure that he will make them his insurance choice. Durham has fantastic modern facilities.
Reply 328
Original post by thegeoman
I have applied to UCL, Manchester, Durham too. I'm an International applicant too so I don't know :P

Have you heard back from manchester? I sent mine 18 days ago and no reply whatsoever.. If youve gotten an offer , how long did it take for them
Long time guys. Whatsup nowadays?
Original post by Semaphore
Have you heard back from manchester? I sent mine 18 days ago and no reply whatsoever.. If youve gotten an offer , how long did it take for them

yes. it took them a month.
Original post by Semaphore

I got invitation to interview a few days after sending, then they said at interview that everyone gets an offer so the interview was kinda pointless xD
Reply 332
Original post by BigWillow
I got invitation to interview a few days after sending, then they said at interview that everyone gets an offer so the interview was kinda pointless xD

Hmm thanks :smile:
Reply 333
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
We visited Glasgow and Edinburgh open days and my son spent a week at Durham on a summer school. Edinburgh was disappointing, the department has definitely seen better days and is in need of a major refurbishment. From memory they have plans for a new earth science department but that is several years off. My son loved Glasgow and I'm pretty sure that he will make them his insurance choice. Durham has fantastic modern facilities.

That's a shame... I was pretty sure I wanted to go to Edinburgh but it looks like I'll have to rearrange the order of my choices. On another note, I just got an offer from Glasgow! :smile:
Original post by lauttes
That's a shame... I was pretty sure I wanted to go to Edinburgh but it looks like I'll have to rearrange the order of my choices. On another note, I just got an offer from Glasgow! :smile:

Well done, so has my son. The lecturers that we met at Glasgow were really friendly, I didn't see the department because I was searching for a parking space but my son said it was great and literally a stones throw from the West End where we had the best Indian meal we've ever eaten! Exciting times :smile:
All my offers are in now.
Durham: AAB
Bristol: AAB
Birmingham: AAA or AAB with A in EPQ or unconditional if firm
Royal Holloway: AAB, unconditional if attend post-app day
Leicester: unconditional

Durham is my firm, unless I change my mind again, but I don't really have an insurance.
Original post by TardigradeFan
All my offers are in now.
Durham: AAB
Bristol: AAB
Birmingham: AAA or AAB with A in EPQ or unconditional if firm
Royal Holloway: AAB, unconditional if attend post-app day
Leicester: unconditional

Durham is my firm, unless I change my mind again, but I don't really have an insurance.

Have you got your A levels already? Just curious about the unconditionals
Some universities are offering un conditionals to students in Year 13 as long as they choose their course as a first choice. Nottingham, Birmingham and Lancaster have been doing it for a couple of years on many courses, Leicester started last year I think. It is very appealing as long as you really want to go there.
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Have you got your A levels already? Just curious about the unconditionals

No, I'm doing my A2 exams this summer. @Oxfordians13 has explained the new abundance of unconditionals well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope you all have a gneiss new year! Don't get too schist-faced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending