The Student Room Group

Power Steering Problem, steering shudder.

The power steering Fluid is up to the level, there's no leakage but I do hear a whining noise from the power steering pump. The more I increase the speed of the engine, more louder it gets, it makes typical supercharger whine lol :biggrin:.
The steering does vibrate/shudder while turning at low speeds but is fine at 25+ mph speed, Any idea is it the pump or the hoses?
Reply 1
Shuddering is probably either the pump or the steering rack. Neither will be cheap, parts or labour! If it's making a whining noise then it may well be the bearings in the pump. You can get it reconditioned or replaced. Best bet is taking it to a garage and speaking to them. You can keep on driving it, but you may lose power steering at some point. Not the end of the world, just a bit harder to turn the steering wheel.
Original post by Nuffles
Shuddering is probably either the pump or the steering rack. Neither will be cheap, parts or labour! If it's making a whining noise then it may well be the bearings in the pump. You can get it reconditioned or replaced. Best bet is taking it to a garage and speaking to them. You can keep on driving it, but you may lose power steering at some point. Not the end of the world, just a bit harder to turn the steering wheel.

Yep true, I actually do all repair work on my car pretty much myself. I might drain P.S fluid and remove the power-steering pump and give it to a mechanic for rebuild. I think the rack or the pinion might have also gone bad :frown:.
(edited 8 years ago)
What type of car is it? Do you know if it's conventional or electric power steering?
Original post by CurlyBen
What type of car is it? Do you know if it's conventional or electric power steering?

It's a nissan , It has Hydraulic assisted power streeing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Azhar Rana
Yep true, I actually do all repair work on my car pretty much myself. I might drain P.S fluid and remove the power-steering pump and give it to a mechanic for rebuild. I think the rack or the pinion might have also gone bad :frown:.

How many miles on it? Usually racks last the life of the car unless they're run low on fluid of the wrong type of fluid is used. Get the pump checked out first and go from there!
Original post by Nuffles
How many miles on it? Usually racks last the life of the car unless they're run low on fluid of the wrong type of fluid is used. Get the pump checked out first and go from there!

It has got around 78000 miles.
Reply 7
It has got around 78000 miles.

Most likely the pump then, unless that model is known for the rack crapping its pants prematurely. Make sure you're using the correct fluid! A pump rebuild/recondition is definitely the cheapest path, hopefully it's the correct one!
It's a nissan , It has Hydraulic assisted power streeing.

Oh you've got the Altima haven't you? I believe that's had both conventional and electric power steering pumps (both are hydraulic, the difference is the way the pump is driven). Anyway I suggest you google Altima power steering noise, it seems to be a common problem.
Original post by Nuffles
Most likely the pump then, unless that model is known for the rack crapping its pants prematurely. Make sure you're using the correct fluid! A pump rebuild/recondition is definitely the cheapest path, hopefully it's the correct one!

Exactly, I am going to change the pump first :h:
Reply 10
I'd start by doing a fluid change.

Suck out what you can with a syringe then disconect one of the lines from the power rack. With the wheels off the deck turn the steering from lock to lock to force out the fluid. It'll be heavy as hell without the engine running, though.
Replace lines. Use new copper / fibre washers / ptfe tape if neccesary,
Fill resevoir.
Fire up engine
Turn steering from lock to lock a few times.
Switch off
Check and top up resevoir.
Repeat the previous 4 steps until the level doesn't drop in the resevoir.
Original post by JC.

Suck out what you can with a syringe then disconect one of the lines from the power rack. With the wheels off the deck turn the steering from lock to lock to force out the fluid. It'll be heavy as hell without the engine running, though.
Fill resevoir.
Fire up engine
Switch off

Man, You are awesome! I will try it, hope it solves the problem.
Reply 12
Man, You are awesome! I will try it, hope it solves the problem.

Make sure you use the right fluid for your application!

If a fluid change fixes the problem it may only be short term. Fresh fluid can sometimes extend the life of the rack or the pump a little bit.
Original post by JC.
Make sure you use the right fluid for your application!

If a fluid change fixes the problem it may only be short term. Fresh fluid can sometimes extend the life of the rack or the pump a little bit.

Yeah, that's right
Original post by JC.

Fill resevoir.
Fire up engine
Switch off

Hi!
The problem regarding to the powersteering is solved, tried exactly what you said to.
Flushed the old PS Oil DOT3 with new one and the shudder and whining of the pump is gone. steering needs much less effort to turn. I am so happy bro :u:. Went to my mechanic and he said it needs atleast 300 pounds for the pump to be replaced instead did the service myself, the pump was alright :h: whining is going away slowly :smile:
Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi!
The problem regarding to the powersteering is solved, tried exactly what you said to.
Flushed the old PS Oil DOT3 with new one and the shudder and whining of the pump is gone. steering needs much less effort to turn. I am so happy bro :u:. Went to my mechanic and he said it needs atleast 300 pounds for the pump to be replaced instead did the service myself, the pump was alright :h: whining is going away slowly :smile:
Thanks!

Good stuff.
Did you use propper PAS fluid or ATF?
I only ever use ATF for top ups as PAS fluid has some chemicals in it that promote seal expansion whereas ATF does not. Obviously a power steering leak is an MOT fail.

The good news is that you've hopefully fixed the problem.
The bad news is you may only have fixed a symptom. The pump or rack may still be dieing. You'll find out in the next 6 months either way. :wink:
Original post by JC.
Good stuff.
Did you use propper PAS fluid or ATF?
I only ever use ATF for top ups as PAS fluid has some chemicals in it that promote seal expansion whereas ATF does not. Obviously a power steering leak is an MOT fail.

The good news is that you've hopefully fixed the problem.
The bad news is you may only have fixed a symptom. The pump or rack may still be dieing. You'll find out in the next 6 months either way. :wink:

Original PS fluid by Nissan mate :wink:
I will get it fixed ASAP :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest