The Student Room Group

UCAS & Understanding (International Student)

So im applying as an international student and I am quite confused about how a few things work on UCAS.

Firstly, if I get all five of my offers for university, am I meant to apply for accommodation to all 5 of them, once my offers are received?

Secondly, what are firm choices, and insurance choices?

Thirdly, if I miss the deadline for applying to accommodating, is there any kind of guarantee stay for undergrads, IF I miss deadline for applying to accommodation? Im looking to stay in an en-suite own bathroom etc.

Also let me know where you guys are applying to :smile:

Im applying to Hull, Huddersfield, Reading, Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool John Moores. :smile:
Original post by Deeboss
So im applying as an international student and I am quite confused about how a few things work on UCAS.

Firstly, if I get all five of my offers for university, am I meant to apply for accommodation to all 5 of them, once my offers are received?

Secondly, what are firm choices, and insurance choices?

Thirdly, if I miss the deadline for applying to accommodating, is there any kind of guarantee stay for undergrads, IF I miss deadline for applying to accommodation? Im looking to stay in an en-suite own bathroom etc.

Also let me know where you guys are applying to :smile:

Im applying to Hull, Huddersfield, Reading, Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool John Moores. :smile:

Assuming that you've applied with predicted grades rather than achieved grades, you will most likely get offers that are conditional on you getting certain grades in them. If you get five of these, you'll have to narrow these down to two, called the conditional firm and conditional insurance offers. The rest you'll have to decline.

The conditional firm is the place that you are committing to going to should you meet your offer, whereas the conditional insurance is the place that you'll go to if you miss your firm offer and are rejected by the university that you've firmed. This is, of course, if you do the sensible thing and put a higher offer down as the firm and a lower offer down as the insurance. :wink:

As far as accommodation goes, you wouldn't be applying for accommodation at the three universities that you've declined or at your insurance university; you'll only be applying for accommodation to the university that you've firmed. While we're on the subject, en suite accommodation might be limited and more expensive than shared bathroom accommodation and, should you be too late to get any, you would either have to make do with a shared bathroom or look for private accommodation. I also don't think that you'd be guaranteed accommodation if you missed any deadline for doing so.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
Assuming that you've applied with predicted grades rather than achieved grades, you will most likely get offers that are conditional on you getting certain grades in them. If you get five of these, you'll have to narrow these down to two, called the conditional firm and conditional insurance offers. The rest you'll have to decline.

The conditional firm is the place that you are committing to going to should you meet your offer, whereas the conditional insurance is the place that you'll go to if you miss your firm offer and are rejected by the university that you've firmed. This is, of course, if you do the sensible thing and put a higher offer down as the firm and a lower offer down as the insurance. :wink:

As far as accommodation goes, you wouldn't be applying for accommodation at the three universities that you've declined or at your insurance university; you'll only be applying for accommodation to the university that you've firmed. While we're on the subject, en suite accommodation might be limited and more expensive than shared bathroom accommodation and, should you be too late to get any, you would either have to make do with a shared bathroom or look for private accommodation. I also don't think that you'd be guaranteed accommodation if you missed any deadline for doing so.

Thanks alot for the informative response really helped! By the way if you dont mind me asking, where are you applying to :smile:?
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks alot for the informative response really helped! By the way if you dont mind me asking, where are you applying to :smile:?

You're welcome. I've applied to UCL, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
You're welcome. I've applied to UCL, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter. :smile:

Nice choices bro :smile: Good luck! (y)
Original post by Deeboss
Nice choices bro :smile: Good luck! (y)

Thanks, and good luck to you too. :smile:
Reply 6
If I would apply for accomodacion on the firm choosen and then I didn't get the place - what I would have to do?
Original post by aga78227
If I would apply for accomodacion on the firm choosen and then I didn't get the place - what I would have to do?

Most universities will guarantee accommodation in those situations (but do check your uni's policy), but if that did happen to you then you'd need to look at accommodation in the private sector - think private halls or a house share.

Also make sure you check your insurance's accommodation policy - you may need to apply there too, and before results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
Most universities will guarantee accommodation in those situations (but do check your uni's policy), but if that did happen to you then you'd need to look at accommodation in the private sector - think private halls or a house share.

Also make sure you check your insurance's accommodation policy - you may need to apply there too, and before results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending