The Student Room Group

Imperial College of London.....Ms in Petroleum Geosciences...

When the university is going to open online admission in the subject field for the year 2016-17 intake....
( I am a geologist with 10 years of E&P sector experience having good credentials and 6.5 overall IELTS ( 6 in each section) .... Will i be having a chance to get into the university....
Kind Regards,
Aamir Khan

Scroll to see replies

Assuming you have a first degree that is 2:1+ or equivalent I would say you have an excellent chance at getting into the course.

I'm also trying to apply to the school of earth sciences and I've just finished my first degree with no experience :/ (petroleum engineering)

Would love to speak to you in PM about your experience in the E&P sector if you have time.

Edit: Admissions opened 10 days ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks alot for kond reply , you are most welcome anytime .. Kind regards
Original post by Oilfreak1
Assuming you have a first degree that is 2:1+ or equivalent I would say you have an excellent chance at getting into the course.

I'm also trying to apply to the school of earth sciences and I've just finished my first degree with no experience :/ (petroleum engineering)

Would love to speak to you in PM about your experience in the E&P sector if you have time.

Hey, are you applying for the Petro Geosci MSc? I am too :smile:

I'm graduating in june, but I don't have any experience either :P
--- aiming for a studentship as I doubt I can afford this without - I'm not likely to get one but theres no harm in trying
What uni did you go to?
Original post by rosiesaurus
Hey, are you applying for the Petro Geosci MSc? I am too :smile:

I'm graduating in june, but I don't have any experience either :P
--- aiming for a studentship as I doubt I can afford this without - I'm not likely to get one but theres no harm in trying
What uni did you go to?

Hey,
No i'm not applying to the MSc in Petroleum Geoscience. I'm applying to the MSc in Metals and Energy Finance (quite excited about this course so really hoping I get offered a position).

I went to the uni of Manchester and did Petroleum Engineering there so a fairly relevant undergraduate degree.
Hey,
No i'm not applying to the MSc in Petroleum Geoscience. I'm applying to the MSc in Metals and Energy Finance (quite excited about this course so really hoping I get offered a position).

I went to the uni of Manchester and did Petroleum Engineering there so a fairly relevant undergraduate degree.

Ohh ok, good luck!
Mind if I pm you with a few questions?
:smile:
Ohh ok, good luck!
Mind if I pm you with a few questions?
:smile:

Yeah that's fine :smile:
Since there seems to be nowhere else to post, did you guys also get that postgrad email from imperial?

Lol I thought the email meant theyd finally verified my second reference but nope, still only one reference.
I haven't actually heard anything from them at all :P
I gave my email address to a few unis for more info about MScs at the BGS/GeoSoc careers day last month but it took weeks to hear anything from UoM and I didn't hear anything back from IC or Leeds...
Might be worth checking with your referee to make sure they've filled it in?
I haven't actually heard anything from them at all :P
I gave my email address to a few unis for more info about MScs at the BGS/GeoSoc careers day last month but it took weeks to hear anything from UoM and I didn't hear anything back from IC or Leeds...
Might be worth checking with your referee to make sure they've filled it in?

Nah both he and imperial confirmed to me that he had submitted my referral. They just need to verify it which can take up to 3 weeks :/
Hi Aamir,

Applications for this course have now opened for 2016/17 entry. Your experience will put in a relatively strong position. Please note that Imperial's emphasis is on strong academic grades as well.

Best of Luck with your application
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Energy Academix
Hi Aamir,

Applications for this course have now opened for 2016/17 entry. Your experience will put in a relatively strong position. Please note that Imperial's emphasis is on strong academic grades as well.

Best of Luck with your application

Hi Dear,
I hope you doing well. Yesterday i went through a Skype interview with a professor, it was good and you were absolutely right regarding experience and grades. She actually added that she would share some material for reading and also added that they had not received response from my second referee, so ask him to send it again. The decision on my application will be taken after Christmas holidays. I hope it will be postive one , what do u say ?
Reply 12

Hi Dear,
I hope you doing well. Yesterday i went through a Skype interview with a professor, it was good . She actually added that she would share some material for reading and also added that they had not received response from my second referee, so ask him to send it again. The decision on my application will be taken after Christmas holidays. I hope it will be positive one , what do u say ?
Original post by aamirgeo1
Hi Dear,
I hope you doing well. Yesterday i went through a Skype interview with a professor, it was good . She actually added that she would share some material for reading and also added that they had not received response from my second referee, so ask him to send it again. The decision on my application will be taken after Christmas holidays. I hope it will be positive one , what do u say ?

Hi Amir,
That is great to hear, I am sure they will respond to you with an offer. Thanks for reassuring me, I was worried they would not review my application without complete references but it appears as though they have looked at yours so hopefully will look at mine also.
Reply 14
Hi Amir,
That is great to hear, I am sure they will respond to you with an offer. Thanks for reassuring me, I was worried they would not review my application without complete references but it appears as though they have looked at yours so hopefully will look at mine also.

Yes, it was great experience... Which field of studies you are applying to and from which country do you belong with? I am aamir doing job as geologist in Islamabad, Pakistan. If lucky enough to get secure place in imperial hope will stay intact with you. Kind regards,
Aamir Khan
Yes, it was great experience... Which field of studies you are applying to and from which country do you belong with? I am aamir doing job as geologist in Islamabad, Pakistan. If lucky enough to get secure place in imperial hope will stay intact with you. Kind regards,
Aamir Khan

Hey Aamir, I am a British born Bangladeshi who has lived in London my entire life pretty much. I have just completed my degree in Petroleum Engineering and am trying to get into energy economics or into the mineral industry of Morocco.

Inshallah we can both secure places in Imperial, I would like to remain in contact regardless of whether I receive an offer or not however.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Thats really great to know, i hv been to the london last time was in holiday inn south kensignton to attend a technical workshop. It was really wonderful to be there ... u may add me on my watsapp 00923445533859 inshallah will stay intact through
X

X.

Original post by Energy Academix
X

Just a quick question, I'm assuming like other unis we have to give the form to our referees to fill in ourselves (ie the admissions team don't send it for us) - whereabouts is the form for referees located? I can only find ones for other departments on the website?

Also, I wont be able to get a copy of my degree transcript until next term - do you think it will matter if I send off my application without this and forward it to admissions later?

And good luck with your applications :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just a quick question, I'm assuming like other unis we have to give the form to our referees to fill in ourselves (ie the admissions team don't send it for us) - whereabouts is the form for referees located? I can only find ones for other departments on the website?

Also, I wont be able to get a copy of my degree transcript until next term - do you think it will matter if I send off my application without this and forward it to admissions later?

And good luck with your applications :smile:

Referrals for imperial are letters of recommendation, simply provide official emails and the university will contact them for it.

you would have to call admissions after the christmas break regarding the transcript. If it helps they wont even be looking at any applications till 4th of jan.
Reply 19
Hi guys may I ask does a first class honours degree student in accounting and finance but from lower ranking university have opportunities to be offered a place in any business related majors from business school of IC? Quite worried about the ranking influence. Will GMAT be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending