King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Got offer for Computer Science
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Dear Mr.Dystopia!

(Postgraduate application) Tell me if i am wrong, but is it ok, that i will send my application in january, but i'm going to take my IELTS exams in next spring? If i will meet the entry requirements and will get an offer from King's, will it be a conditional one? Can i prove my English requirements later? Thanks

Original post by MrDystopia
Use this thread to talk with other students who are thinking of applying to KCL for the 2016 entry! I'll be updating the first post with a list of members who are applying for each course, so hopefully that gives you a chance to find other members.

I'll also add in some information regarding various aspect of the uni, be it Accommodation, course requirements etc in a bit.

Helpful Links:

KCL 2016 Undergraduate Prospectus:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/download/kings-college-london-2016-undergraduate-prospectus.pdf

KCL Accommodation information:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/residences/index.aspx

Finance, fees and bursaries information:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/index.aspx

TSR Connect, which contains information on others applying. Feel free to add yourself!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/kings_college_london
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 522
How long are King's taking for law?
Meant to post this before, but got an unconditional for Law last Friday (11/12) - also had my interview for the Dickson Poon scholarship too yesterday :smile:
Original post by stefanzita
Dear Mr.Dystopia!

(Postgraduate application) Tell me if i am wrong, but is it ok, that i will send my application in january, but i'm going to take my IELTS exams in next spring? If i will meet the entry requirements and will get an offer from King's, will it be a conditional one? Can i prove my English requirements later? Thanks

I'm completely unsure as to the process regarding the IELTS. It would be best to contact the uni directly about that.
Does every Uni offer adjustment if you meet the entry requirement of their course or do they just suggest
to apply next year?

Does King's offer adjustment places for Physics?
Also, how do you know if a university is offering adjustment places onto their course since UCAS just states what website is in clearing on results day. Is it a separate webpage or do you have to call up the universities directly yourself and ask or?
I just got an offer for maths! I'm so glad because KCL was my top pick but I didn't quite meet the requirements.
Reply 527
I'm having a problem logging into the myApplication for kcl. I've been sent an email with the username and password but I tried to login and it just keeps coming up with message saying that the information in incorrect. I haven't misspelt anything because I've checked so many time. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem?
Original post by SI 1
I'm having a problem logging into the myApplication for kcl. I've been sent an email with the username and password but I tried to login and it just keeps coming up with message saying that the information in incorrect. I haven't misspelt anything because I've checked so many time. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem?

You should contact KCL on here
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/orgstructure/ps/acservices/sbs/admissions/apfeedback-form.aspx
Reply 530
Original post by jasminestanley
I just got an offer for maths! I'm so glad because KCL was my top pick but I didn't quite meet the requirements.

Congrats! Do you mind me asking, what were your predcitions?
I'm applying for Comp. Sci, I've had a reply and I'm being harassed over them wanting proof of me being legible for local student fees, so I'm having a hard time getting all the paperwork together.

I'll probably get the offer though
Reply 532
Original post by iomellie123
Meant to post this before, but got an unconditional for Law last Friday (11/12) - also had my interview for the Dickson Poon scholarship too yesterday :smile:

Wow that's really good, they're taking pretty long for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boyyo
Yeahh i hear that, let me know when they get back to you :smile:
And ill let you know when mine gets sent of lol

Yes, I finally got my offer(AAA) from Kings to study MSci Physics.

I'm gonna give it a while longer until I get all my offers back but
I'm definitely going to put KCL as either my firm/insurance alongside with UCL.

Wbu? Have u sent off ur application & have u got any offers yet?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Grats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AñaG
which course?

Original post by JohnGreek
They can still reject you for having too low predicted grades even if they meet the minimum threshold - in fact, it's quite possible for candidates who would only just meet the standard offer.

You should look for the process used to request feedback on their website (perhaps the KCL applicant portal may prove useful here?), even though I wouldn't be optimistic - the "feedback" sent is often just an overall admissions statistic and is rarely tailored to your application, and you cannot overturn the final decisions of most universities through appeal, in the overwhelming majority of cases.

EDIT: This is particularly true when you have no extenuating circumstances, or any new evidence in favour of your acceptance, to show them during appeal. They've weighed up the merits of your application and chosen to reject you - unless you give them a reason to change their minds entirely (if that is even possible these days lol), then they have no reason to alter their decision. Sorry to sound so negative, but it's the reality of the admissions process :frown:

No idea - just google it or send them an email asking if/when you can appeal.
Something as major as low-GCSEs should have been noted in the P.S., if King's didn't already (like Oxbridge do, apparently) have a low-GCSE flag on applications like yours.

Some unis have an internal flagging system when you apply from a school with terribad GCSE/ A-level results, low Oxbridge admissions, low Russell Group admissions, etc. - I know Oxbridge have it, but have no idea about KCL.

I wouldn't expect it to be visible externally to the applicant - the performance of your school should have been mentioned in le reference.

Original post by Whyhuyrah
Email the undergrad admissions team. Mine had 33% inc. Maths & English and I never put it on my reference or PS... but you'll never know if you never try! :smile: Also look on The Higher education Funding council for England's (Hefce) Polar postcode check for young participation in higher education. If it's in the lowest quintile you may have some headroom I guess, also consider mentioning you left off some extra curricular stuff you've done from your PS. But It may just have been your GCSE English Language grade? Your cards would have been marked if you got below a B :frown:

Original post by epic within
My GCSEs are not outstanding, I got BBBBCCCD and I still got an offer.

I got an offer, didnt have to appeal :smile:
Reply 536

Congrats!!! Yeahh i sent mine of thursday, but with predictions ABB :/ so im not holding any hopes right now. I did get an offer from manchester with a foundation year thoe.
Im waitng to hear from kings, queen mary and Kent.
Btw what were your predcitions again?
Original post by boyyo
Congrats!!! Yeahh i sent mine of thursday, but with predictions ABB :/ so im not holding any hopes right now. I did get an offer from manchester with a foundation year thoe.
Im waitng to hear from kings, queen mary and Kent.
Btw what were your predcitions again?

A*AC(AAB average)predicted grades with A* in Maths, A in Physics & C in History.
I'm hoping I can walk out with A*A*C(AAA) I just want to go there ever since that evening Physics lecture we went to. :heart: I want to go ice skating there :lol:

Your college sent it off quite last minute. Ah, congrats on your offer from Manchester. Did they give you an interview or ask for certain grades? Manchester has a excellent Physics department + Brian Cox :heart:

Where was your 5th uni that you applied to i.e manchester/kent/qmul/kings + ?
Whats your ABB predicted grades in as in what subjects respectively?
I still believe you have a chance at KCL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 538
A*AC(AAB average)predicted grades with A* in Maths, A in Physics & C in History.
I'm hoping I can walk out with A*A*C(AAA) I just want to go there ever since that evening Physics lecture we went to. :heart: I want to go ice skating there :lol:

Your college sent it off quite last minute. Ah, congrats on your offer from Manchester. Did they give you an interview or ask for certain grades? Manchester has a excellent Physics department + Brian Cox :heart:

Where was your 5th uni that you applied to i.e manchester/kent/qmul/kings + ?
Whats your ABB predicted grades in as in what subjects respectively?
I still believe you have a chance at KCL.

Yeah I know theres still about 20 people left to send it off. I only applied to 4 as I'm confindent I'll get atleast 2 offers anyways.
And yeah manchester's awesome, but I'd still prefer Kings cos its in London.
A in Physics and B's in maths & Econ.
Im still waiting for a reply from them, but its holidays now so I think I've got a long wait.
Reply 539
I really want to apply for the MSc programme in International Marketing at KCL. However, the requirements state:

"1st Class or good 2:1 class undergraduate degree (65 per cent or above in the UK marking system) required in a social science related area (e.g. management, economics, psychology, history, sociology, law or other appropriate social science subject) or an equivalent overseas qualification.
Please note a science/engineering degree may be considered where social science skills have been an important component of the degree or a candidate has significant marketing practice experience."

I will certainly graduate with a 2:1 class undergraduate degree. However, I do not think that I will have 65% or above (we do not have a marking system utilising percentage so I'm a bit lost here). Is there a chance I could be given an offer anyway due to my extensive experience through part-time jobs, internships and volunteering or is this £40 application fee absolutely wasted? Has anyone -perhaps personally - experienced getting in despite missing the requirements a bit or knows someone who did?

Latest