The Student Room Group

How to invest £3,000 ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Duncan2012
Invest in a crash helmet and handgun and go rob banks. That's the only way you'll come close to getting a grand a month from £3k.

Original post by Skeptyle
Business studies students be like

Original post by Alexion
Work 30h a week in a real job? That should do it. You can't invest £3000 and expect a third of that back every month :lol:

People'd be lucky to start earning that much off a £20000 investment in stock.

Original post by mangala
buy BiC pens made before 1979 (there's a way of sort of carbon-dating the ink the pen to get an accurate date) theyre a real collectors item

Original post by Jono0812
Firstly ,manage expectations. If you want to earn that sort of money from such a little investment, it's going to be very high risk. (or everyone would be doing it. There's no real way to 'get rich quick', which I assume is your mindset, because once again, everyone would do it.)

If I was you, i'd put it into a stocks and shares ISA, where you can get a return of UP TO 10%. It's got a bit of risk, but a lot less than other potential options. That's obviously a very passive way, so the return would be less.

If you want to actively make the money yourself per se, you could say:
Start a small business. (Like you suggested, buying n selling ****. You need to find a niche for this, and people aren't going to spoonfeed it to you. If you get told 'a good idea', the chances are it has already been done.

Or if you're doing a monetary related course, such as economics or finance at Uni, i'd recommend day-trading. You can open an account with Plus500 for as little money as £100. Learn what to do. You could easily double your investment in one day. (Equally you can easily loose it. That's where risk management comes into play. Look it up if you're interested.)

But honestly, because you're essentially asking what to do, the chances are you're too emotionally attached to the money, and you're almost certainly going to loose it with higher risk strategies. Do something safe, and expect small returns. Compound the savings over the next 30 years, and you can retire a millionaire without doing anything special. Sounds great, right?

Original post by gwagon
If you'd asked this a few months ago, I'd have told you to short Chinese stocks...

Original post by Prince_fancybum
Drugs

Original post by PinkAcid
to be honest don't even bother with ebay, your stock will have to come from china and will cost as much as customers are willing to buy it for so you'll be earning no profit on it (plus hundreds of other businesses will be undercutting you) then you've got ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping fees on top of that and youll have to budget for lost items in the post (trust me a lot of people claim they never get things, I used to sell a few unwanted things on the side and I ended up with around 5-10% missing items)

Original post by jamesthehustler
maybe if you move correctly then the scrap gold game has potential but you'd have to push and deal in 20t.oz in a month to hit that boundary so you would have to buy about 5 oz of 18ct scrap every week at £14/£15 a gram to buy and about £17 to sell

Original post by Simonthegreat
Put some in shares . Just made some money today on one of my shares. The markets were high today. Yipee. :smile: Feeling happy, spend it on a christmas treat for myself.

I have thought of another idea. Could you please check my latest post and give me advice
Original post by Rftra
Im 17 and going to uni next year. I made most of my money selling things mostly on eBay and frauds, but cant do this anymore.

Is there any suggestions on how to invest this sum? Perhaps i could sell screen protectors and cases at high volume low price etc on eBay? What can i do that can return about £1000/month profit? I know this seems alot but just wondering

So just want to invest a portion of my money

Fraud lmao how about rob a bank?

Original post by gwagon
If you'd asked this a few months ago, I'd have told you to short Chinese stocks...

He'd probably come back to haunt you if he lost xD
Original post by Rftra
Im 17 and going to uni next year. I made most of my money selling things mostly on eBay and frauds, but cant do this anymore.

Is there any suggestions on how to invest this sum? Perhaps i could sell screen protectors and cases at high volume low price etc on eBay? What can i do that can return about £1000/month profit? I know this seems alot but just wondering

i am not going to help a fraudster.

smh
Original post by Rftra
How much could i be making by selling small value item on eBay but at large volumes?

I know a few people who've tried this kind of thing and it's harder than it sounds - there's a lot of price competition on Ebay and most buyers and sellers are fairly switched on. It helps if you have access to free mailing facilities, eg, through work or something, or if you can restrict yourself to collections and deliveries. Some people on Ebay restrict their selling to a small region and hand deliver. Also it's a question of choosing your area of activity well, ideally something you know a lot about, so that you can be smart about what you buy and how you sell it and you can accurately deal with your buyers.
Reply 24
Original post by Mr Makaveli
Go buy £3000 worth of Freddos, looking at past increases you'll definitely be quids in eventually

I'd eat half of it
Online peer-to-peer lending, go for the more respected websites. Returns of 4-6% P.A..
Reply 26
Original post by Imperion
Fraud lmao how about rob a bank?

He'd probably come back to haunt you if he lost xD

Kk
Reply 27
Original post by Rftra

hmmm £1000/month, well theres not really anyway todo that without taking on alot of risk. Someone mentioned leveraged trading, but that would just be like gambling, for you.
Reply 28
Original post by IBIB
hmmm £1000/month, well theres not really anyway todo that without taking on alot of risk. Someone mentioned leveraged trading, but that would just be like gambling, for you.

Yeah i decided not to do anything. Could you check my last thread, maybe if that's a decent idea?
Reply 29
Original post by Rftra

£1000/month profit from a £3000 investment. 300% ROI/pa. If I knew how to achieve returns like that I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.
The thing is, how dedicated are you to investing?

Start by making an effort to read around the area of finance. The best education is self education. (A lot of people go to uni, so a lot of people should be rich, right? Well the vast majority of people do not self educate, and thus don't have the knowledge or skills to get to that next level. Honestly, I'm still learning might I add, but the best investment you can get at this stage is into yourself. This is because as has been mentioned previously, in order to make the sort of returns you've spoken about, and obviously thought in depth enough about to post this thread, you need to fully know what you're doing, as well as have the capital to make it a reality.

I'm 18 myself, and only started looking into finance in the last year and a half really. I feel that I know a lot more around how to handle money than most people my age..Well most people i've spoken to of any age in fact. It's funny, how most people want to be rich, yet most will not put the effort into it.

Honestly, just invest into yourself for now. Save the 3000 until you have £10k+, and put it into stocks/shares ISA. Let it grow, and keep adding to it, until you get to the point where you actually know what to do with it without loosing/wasting it.

You really shouldn't be being spoonfed information though. Learn how to learn properly, as stupid as it sounds. If you can;t find out information on your own now, when will you? You'll end up being like everyone else, poor/normal. If you want to be rich, have the gumption to find information out. The thirst for knowledge has been described by many millionaires as being essential. I'll give you a couple of sites to check out.

Bloomberg.com - I check this a couple times a week to keep up with business news. Reading the articles, and googling anything you don't understand will expand your knowledge of finance massively.
BBC news - Current affairs, important once again.
-Babypips.com - Try their 'Schools of pipsology' course, this is essentially a well structured guide on how to day trade effectively.

Read books. Intelligent investor, the Millionaire next door, Rich Dad poor Dad, Richard Branson's autobiographies etc. These are the key tools in which will most likely determine how financially successful you are.

Keep in mind this is just information I have gathered over the last couple of years, so use it with a pinch of salt. Just hope I can help affirm a better mindset which is more likely to lead to financial success.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest