The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
We're closing in on Marko Gruijc for £5m. Would spend rest of the season on loan back to Red Star for the rest of the season.

So just to confirm, for the rest of the season?
As nice as it is to plan for the future, at the moment I only really care about what we're going to do with our first team.
Bar fullbacks, our first team is quite big enough. We would need to get rid of players before we can bring some in and I don't see Klopp offloading before the summer.
Original post by samir12
Bar fullbacks, our first team is quite big enough. We would need to get rid of players before we can bring some in and I don't see Klopp offloading before the summer.

Yea both fullback is really where I'm thinking. Wouldn't hurt to have another pacey attacker but perhaps Klopp will avoid with Markovic back in the summer.
Original post by Mackay
Any combative defensive midfielder will do for me, but I'd rather Neves from Porto, who is surely destined for great feats.

Neves is a player whose career I'm going to love tracking. Only seen a few games and then a few highlight reels, but he looks he has touches of Busquets, Alonso, Gundogan and even Don Andres in him. I would have loved him here too.

I've obviously never seen Grujic play but seeing as we have Can, Rossiter, Teixeira, Brannagan, Allan, Chirivella all in a similar position and of a similar age, let alone Lucas, Milner, Henderson and Allen, it's clear that he must be a serious talent.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Neves is a player whose career I'm going to love tracking. Only seen a few games and then a few highlight reels, but he looks he has touches of Busquets, Alonso, Gundogan and even Don Andres in him. I would have loved him here too.

I've obviously never seen Grujic play but seeing as we have Can, Rossiter, Teixeira, Brannagan, Allan, Chirivella all in a similar position and of a similar age, let alone Lucas, Milner, Henderson and Allen, it's clear that he must be a serious talent.

I can't wait to see where Neves ends up, too. Bound to have a decorated career, I'm sure. Must be one of the youngest captains in CL history, surely? He's a class act.

This is the issue for me, too. We are in danger of becoming saturated with youngsters in that area of the field, and that's something Klopp/the Academy clearly don't want given the revelation that they'll be cutting numbers drastically at Melwood.
LFC Foundation has managed to rack up £3000+ in its auction to watch Home Alone at the Philharmonic Hall with Ibe, Gomez and Clyne. I'd ****ing love to do that.
United are 2-0 down and very likely to drop points.

I guess that's our cue to mess up tomorrow.
Original post by Lúcio
United are 2-0 down and very likely to drop points.

I guess that's our cue to mess up tomorrow.

Delighted to see them lose again. Chelsea are going to start winning and Spurs won today too. We're 5 points behind Man Utd and Spurs with a game in hand.

Worryingly Leicester won again. No longer a fluke now with almost half the season gone. I didn't think they would beat Everton but they have. 14 points ahead of us and could easily finish top 4 now..
Original post by Zerforax
Delighted to see them lose again. Chelsea are going to start winning and Spurs won today too. We're 5 points behind Man Utd and Spurs with a game in hand.

Worryingly Leicester won again. No longer a fluke now with almost half the season gone. I didn't think they would beat Everton but they have. 14 points ahead of us and could easily finish top 4 now..

Leicester only have one PL game a week and can field their reserves in the FA cup games. You fancy them to finish top 4 at this rate but its looking like United, Spurs and Liverpool (and even Palace if they keep it up) are fighting for 4th place with Arsenal, Leicester and City fighting it out for the top 3, think Leicester will end up 3rd imo.

Leicester are basically doing what Liverpool did in the 13/14 season only that Liverpool went HAM in the second half while Leicester have done it from the first, will they be able to keep it up? We will see.
(edited 8 years ago)
Leicester have more points at this stage than we did in 2013/14.
Original post by samir12
Leicester only have one PL game a week and can field their reserves in the FA cup games. You fancy them to finish top 4 at this rate but its looking like United, Spurs and Liverpool (and even Palace if they keep it up) are fighting for 4th place with Arsenal, Leicester and City fighting it out for the top 3, think Leicester will end up 3rd imo.

Leicester are basically doing what Liverpool did in the 13/14 season only that Liverpool went HAM in the second half while Leicester have done it from the first, will they be able to keep it up? We will see.

Maybe Vardy is injured? He came off today. I do think teams will eventually learn how to frustrate Leicester.
Maybe Vardy is injured? He came off today. I do think teams will eventually learn how to frustrate Leicester.

Yh no one expected Leicester to be so lethal on the counter which is why they were so successful taking the 3 points from the small teams where as United and Liverpool have had to face buses after buses. Maybe we will start seeing teams play more deep and aim to frustrate Leicester?

For me it's more about the opportunities we've already wasted.
Yeah it's already done but why couldn't we just beat Palace or Newcastle or West Brom?
Every time I see the table it just pisses me off because I know we've wasted some real opportunities to be higher.

Leicester can no longer be considered to be "lucky" or "fluking it".
They'll likely drop off if they don't buy players, but it's looking likely that they can go in the the January transfer window and say to targets that they're currently 1st in the most competitive league in the world.

That being said, if Mahrez gets injured, they're done.
Fair play to Vardy; he has been in the form of his career but as @samir12 quite rightly points out, it's all about Mahrez here.
He is the one creating, he is the one providing the opportunities and this is a classic example of football's bias towards the guy that scores the goal (in addition to media's fixation on an English talent).
Without Vardy, sure Leicester wouldn't be doing as well, but without Mahrez they'd be halfway down the table. That's not an exaggeration.
Whoops wrong thread
(edited 8 years ago)
Ugh need to break this waking up for work habit since I don't have work for 2 weeks. Way too early to be up.
Suarez tearing it up in the CWC. 5 goals in 2 games with 15 mins to go.

Klopp would've loved Suarez up front for him imo. Would've been a perfect fit :moon:
Bogdan, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino.

Subs: Fulton, Toure, Randall, Allen, Ibe, Origi, Benteke

Mignolet out with minor hamstring injury.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Bogdan, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino.

Subs: Fulton, Toure, Randall, Allen, Ibe, Origi, Benteke

Mignolet out with minor hamstring injury.

I like it today your post didn't give me any negative vibes :smile:

Latest