The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick MORSE

How is MORSE at Warwick University?
P.s. I got an offer to study it this year :smile: - need to get A*AA - going to be a toughie.

And compare it so Southampton MORSE

Scroll to see replies

From what I hear MORSE is the most difficult course that the business school offers. It is probably the best degree, I suppose.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Diego Costa
From what I hear MORSE is the most difficult course that the business school offers. It is probably the best degree, I suppose.

I agree with the most difficult part, however I hate to be picky but its under the statistics department not the business school. Though some modules are taught in the business school.
Original post by IMZL
I agree with the most difficult part, however I hate to be picky but its under the statistics department not the business school. Though some modules are taught in the business school.

Smart arse :angry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Smart arse :angry:

Sorry:frown:
But hey, you're the one who named your TSR profile after one of the most hated football players. I can only then assume you're a Chelsea fan. Not going too well then, is it?:colondollar:

This would all be awkard if Diego Costa actually was your name...
Original post by IMZL
Sorry:frown:
But hey, you're the one who named your TSR profile after one of the most hated football players. I can only then assume you're a Chelsea fan. Not going too well then, is it?:colondollar:

This would all be awkard if Diego Costa actually was your name...

The people in my home nation of Braz... Spain love me. I'm better than Shrek, "Hunchback" 'Arry Kane and Hamez Vardinho and anyone else in your English League
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
The people in my home nation of Braz... Spain love me. I'm better than Shrek, "Hunchback" 'Arry Kane and Hamez Vardinho and anyone else in your English League

Hahaha, don't even mention vardy in this discussion. No, fair enough, turning your back on your home country to win a world cup was a good choi...oh wait. Plus you look like a 40 year old mexican drug lord..
Original post by IMZL
Hahaha, don't even mention vardy in this discussion. No, fair enough, turning your back on your home country to win a world cup was a good choi...oh wait. Plus you look like a 40 year old mexican drug lord..

I have the bank balance of one too.
Well, I think it goes like this.

.-- .- .-. .-- .. -.-. -.-

... --- ..- - .... .- -- .--. - --- -.

Hopefully that helps.
Reply 9
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, I think it goes like this.

.-- .- .-. .-- .. -.-. -.-

... --- ..- - .... .- -- .--. - --- -.

Hopefully that helps.

:colonhash:
Now getting back to the topic...Why do you guys say it's the most difficult course? It's esentially a Maths & Econ degree, as far as the modules say. :confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Now getting back to the topic...Why do you guys say it's the most difficult course? It's esentially a Maths & Econ degree, as far as the modules say. :confused:

Sorry for the late reply. I think I'd like to alter my statement to 'one of the most difficult courses', cause to be honest, it's subjective. It's the breadth of knowledge required; how the first year is essentially a maths degree combined with statistics and mathematical econ, that I think is what makes people on the course stress its difficulty. Another factor may be that applicants don't realise the real emphasis on maths in the first years, and struggle. But hey, who knows, right? Straight maths is arguably is harder, as there's no choice; you have to do all the core maths modules, whereas with MORSE you can choose more business type options in the later years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did MORSE in my first year. The maths modules are by far the hardest, and require a lot more work.
I switched to MathStat (very similar modules) in my second year as I preferred the maths over the economics, and for some techincal reasons regarding core MORSE modules.

Speaking from my experience as a first year, it was tough. I'm not going to sugarcoat that, you do have to work very hard compared to how it was/is at A-levels. But, you get used to the work load, and it gets slightly easier when you're used to it. Most of my friends are now on MORSE second year, and some have completely steered clear from the maths modules (they're not core in year 2/3) and opted for economics modules instead, they have found this past term very easy.

As for Southhampton MORSE, I'm aware they offer it but I can't really say anything about it.
Reply 13
Original post by Dannygem
I did MORSE in my first year. The maths modules are by far the hardest, and require a lot more work.
I switched to MathStat (very similar modules) in my second year as I preferred the maths over the economics, and for some techincal reasons regarding core MORSE modules.

Speaking from my experience as a first year, it was tough. I'm not going to sugarcoat that, you do have to work very hard compared to how it was/is at A-levels. But, you get used to the work load, and it gets slightly easier when you're used to it. Most of my friends are now on MORSE second year, and some have completely steered clear from the maths modules (they're not core in year 2/3) and opted for economics modules instead, they have found this past term very easy.

As for Southhampton MORSE, I'm aware they offer it but I can't really say anything about it.

Thanks for the feedback! Just wondering about a couple of things:

1. What's the teaching like on the course, how are the lectures?

2. How come you didn't like Econ at uni?

3. How much careers stuff were you exposed to in your first year? Are you/do you know people who are doing internships etc from the MORSE course?

Again, thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
compare morse at warwick with accountancy and finance at lse and with maths at imperial.

also, what do you in the first year of morse in terms of modules?
Reply 15
please
Original post by IMZL
x

Original post by Dannygem
x

Quite a few good questions from IMZL. I'd just like to add a few questions :biggrin:

1.) Are the stats modules more applied maths or theoretical maths (eg linear algebra and analysis are both very theoretical)

2.) What is the workload in year 1 like? How many assignements do you have to finish each week, etc?

3.) What is the "typical" Morse student like?

@IMZL
Where else did you apply to/got offers?
Reply 17
Quite a few good questions from IMZL. I'd just like to add a few questions :biggrin:

1.) Are the stats modules more applied maths or theoretical maths (eg linear algebra and analysis are both very theoretical)

2.) What is the workload in year 1 like? How many assignements do you have to finish each week, etc?

3.) What is the "typical" Morse student like?

@IMZL
Where else did you apply to/got offers?

Maths at Oxford(rejected, ***ed up MAT), Imperial and Nottingham(offer A*AB). Also MORSE(offer A*AA) and Maths with Economics at LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMZL
Maths at Oxford(rejected, ***ed up MAT), Imperial and Nottingham(offer A*AB). Also MORSE(offer A*AA) and Maths with Economics at LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I know how you feel. Got rejected from Cambridge (for the reason that I'm already studying Maths in Vienna lol)... applied to Maths with Econ at LSE too, would you rather pick LSE or Warwick (or Imperial)?
Reply 19
Ahh I know how you feel. Got rejected from Cambridge (for the reason that I'm already studying Maths in Vienna lol)... applied to Maths with Econ at LSE too, would you rather pick LSE or Warwick (or Imperial)?

Oh cool, you're Austrian? Gutentag mein freund:wink: And, honestly, I don't know, LSE vs MORSE is an extremely difficult decision, thought I'd probably end up choosing LSE. I doubt I'll get Imperial, as they also use MAT scores..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest