The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
I am in my final year of a Primary education degree and I have come to the conclusion that the idea of paying for education makes me sick. Every child on this earth should be born equally with the right to an education. Is it a child's fault if their parents are not economically driven by success but for instance focus on humanitarian issues in the world and therefore as a result have less disposable income? No. Does this make their parents 'better people' in contrast to the selfish materialistic obsessed Range Rover driving parents? Yes. I understand that everybody wants their child to develop and grow as successfully as possible, however this should be done via private tutoring in pupils own time as oppose to reaping the benefits of a whole establishment dedicated to this.

In the area of the country I am from (affluent fringe area of London) parents that pay for private education are often not paying for the improved results, but the connections and social standing that will benefit their child in later life. We live in a country where the rich have devised a system (encompassing political, social and educational aspects) that retains and increases their wealth whilst the poorer become less and less well off. The revolution is coming my friends, I hope you are on the right side when it does happen, I know I certainly will be.
Reply 301
Original post by ricraz
Abolishing private schools means that suddenly, the government has to pay for the education of an extra few hundred thousand students, when their budgets are already stretched. That means less money per student, and worse education for everyone.

Maybe if corporations started paying their taxes properly instead of using the money to pay for their little Harvey's to learn about the family business the government wouldn't be so stretched, or maybe if the government stopped bailing out their private school friends in the banks then a reasonable budget could be established.

Want a stat? Apple paid £12 million tax on £2 billion profit in 2014, the figure that should have been paid is £400 million. That is one of many companies avoiding tax, think of the figure if you combined them all together. Let alone solving the problem of equity in education, we'd be on our way to solving poverty.
Want another stat? 85 of the richest people in the world control the same amount of wealth as 3.5 billion of the worlds poorest.

Nobody can say we live in a fair system. Change doesn't need to happen, radical change needs to occur and this can't happen in the current system we live in.
(edited 8 years ago)
no
Original post by Goaded
no

Would you please summarise that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
Would you please summarise that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't think we should. I don't see how it would do any good. I went to a comprehensive, it achieved 'good' in all aspects of Ofsted, 42% A* - C... certainly nothing special. So it's not like I come from a place of fee paying education, I just don't see any plus side. If you can afford that money, why shouldn't you provide your children with the best education possible? I would, if my parents had the money, they would.
Original post by Goaded
I just don't think we should. I don't see how it would do any good. I went to a comprehensive, it achieved 'good' in all aspects of Ofsted, 42% A* - C... certainly nothing special. So it's not like I come from a place of fee paying education, I just don't see any plus side. If you can afford that money, why shouldn't you provide your children with the best education possible? I would, if my parents had the money, they would.

My comment was rather a joke because yours was so pithy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
My comment was rather a joke because yours was so pithy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well truth be told i don't have a particular reason, i just say no
Reply 307
Private education creates a social divide between classes. It prevents working class folks from achieving their dreams and makes it easier for other kids just because their parents have more money.
Reply 308
If private education exists, why not create private healthcare in our country too? After all, if the richest want to pay for the best, and equality doesn't matter then surely the rich should pay for better health aswell?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm another independent school product. I've been at the same school since I was three so I can't make any personal comparison. I do agree with the first person who added to the topic that state schools need to be brought up to standard before ending private education could be considered.
Judging from some comments my mum has made I also think that the comprehensive system needs to be re-modelled perhaps in the European model where the academic are streamed into one type of school with those who have no academic interest or of more limited ability placed in technical schools where they can develop their talents or practical interests. I think this would help eliminate some of the problem of disaffected and disinterested kids. I honestly can't think it's much fun for anyone bring forced to learn foreign languages if they struggle with their native one in the first instance, or in being forced to learn algebra or whatever when a more practical approach to maths might suit them.
I don't think the emergence of Academies in England is the answer, too much like companies who have no expertise in education running schools with silly draconian rules on uniform etc as being the solution, while the antics of the Inspectorate with their ridiculous tick box exercises needs to be stopped. It's like common sense has left the building!
Alongside the changes in Education there must be serious welfare reforms. I don't mean the punitive Victorian reforms beloved by those disgusting Tories, I mean reforms that end or diminish the appalling poverty that grinds families into misery and leaves them feeling helpless and hopeless.
Every child should benefit from the quality of education and opportunity I have had but it really needs a change in mindset in government.
I do think that it is sad that we live in a society in which you have to pay a fortune for your child to get a good education. I am currently taking my GSCE'S in a private school. If you want to achieve equality in terms of education it may start in making the standard of education to the highest possibility before abolishing private schoold. Despite private schools achieving great results accademically they also provide the child with a well rounded education which many schoold of the state sector fail to provide. Once the state school produce results academically and in other areas to the same standard as private schools then you should only think about abolishing them.
Get some practical experience. Experiencing a career firsthand is the quickest way to determine whether or not it's a good fit, and having some practical experience can also make you more employable once you begin your job search.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by microtek
Get some practical experience. Experiencing a career firsthand is the quickest way to determine whether or not it's a good fit, and having some practical experience can also make you more employable once you begin your job search.

Original post by queenmeelzx
Fuccccck nahhhhh

This thread is from 2013. Please check thread dates in future. :smile:

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending