A Level Maths & AS Level Further Maths Rearranging Modules

THE MODULES I WILL DO:

A Level Maths:
*C1-C4
*S1 & S2 (optional modules)
AS Level Further Maths:
*FP1
*D1 & M1 (optional modules)
Does Edexcel rearrange the optional maths (S1, S2, D1, M1) modules at the end of my final year of doing A Level Maths? So that it gives me the my best A Level Maths & AS Level Further Maths result using the lowest UMS from each module?So for example, if I did really good in A Level Maths, but did really badly in D1 and M1, could I use those as a substitution for my S1 and S2 (both which have a lot of UMS), and use S1/S2 for my Further Maths AS Level award? Does Edexcel use that rearranging format system?
Original post by Schu98
THE MODULES I WILL DO:

A Level Maths:
*C1-C4
AS Level Further Maths:
*FP1
Does Edexcel rearrange the optional maths (S1, S2, D1, M1) modules at the end of my final year of doing A Level Maths? So that it gives me the my best A Level Maths & AS Level Further Maths result using the lowest UMS from each module?So for example, if I did really good in A Level Maths, but did really badly in D1 and M1, could I use those as a substitution for my S1 and S2 (both which have a lot of UMS), and use S1/S2 for my Further Maths AS Level award? Does Edexcel use that rearranging format system?

ok so what edexcel does is they try to maximize your overall maths UMS and dump the rest to further maths.
Original post by Schu98
THE MODULES I WILL DO:

A Level Maths:
*C1-C4
AS Level Further Maths:
*FP1

I emailed edexcel with the same question about a month ago and received this pdf, it's quite long but it's probably in your best interest to read all of it.

Basically they prioritize maths over further maths, so they will award you A*B over an AA. However they won't award 89% UMS Maths and 78% UMS Further Maths. they will mix modules you get you a low A (83%/84% average) in both**!

Edit: I am mistaken, you will be awarded 87% Maths and 80% Further maths, they will maximize your Maths mark without lowering the grade of Further
Maths!
Hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Schu98
So I can get 2 As?

I think so, it's awfully complicated to think about as I am very tired. Read the pdf and hopefully it'll answer your questions
Original post by Schu98
Do I cash in my AS Further Maths results at the end of Year 13, so that Edexcel rearranges any optional modules with my A Level Maths?

I think they will just ensure you get the best grade possible in maths, then they'll get you the best grade possible in AS further maths

For example;

Maths

C1 - 89%
C2 - 92%
C3 - 89%
C4 - 90%
S1 - 90%
S2 - 70%

Further Maths AS

FP1 - 75%
M1 - 80%
D1 - 70%

The way this looks now you would get an A in Maths (C3+C4<180UMS) and a B in Further Maths

What they would do is swap, lets say, D1 and S1 which would still give you an A in Maths but would also get you an A in Further Maths!
Original post by Schu98
So going back to the 'cashing in' system, when would my school cash in any results? Would they cash in all my results at the end of Year 13? Or would they cash in my AS Level Further Maths first at the end of Year 12? Then cash in my all my results at the end of Year 13?

Please explain :frown:

i am a northern irish student so the year12/year13 is a little confusing always, you are currently doing AS level right? If so then your Maths AS and Further Maths AS are cashed at the end of Lower Sixth
Original post by Schu98
So at the end of Year 13 right? (Year 13 is the last year)

i dont think so, ASs are cashed at the end of Year 12 I always thought. read the pdf as I am actually not sure

Basically go for 90+ in every module and then you don't have to worry :tongue:
Original post by Schu98
Will I still have to re-cash my AS Further Maths results for my A Level Maths at the end of Year 13? Or?

Oh god i have no idea, you would be best emailing them about it, regrettably I don't work for edexcel
Original post by Schu98
Will I still have to re-cash my AS Further Maths results for my A Level Maths at the end of Year 13? Or?

You will need to re-cash in your AS qualifications at the end of year 13, so cash in all three of 8371, 9371 and 8372. This "unlocks" your modules from the AS they were in so that they can be rearranged if it is to your advantage.
Reply 9
They will maximise

(i) your mathematics grade
(ii) your further mathematics grade
(iii) your mathematics ums
(iv) your further mathematics ums

in that order.
Could someone help me out?

I'm taking M2 & 3, S1 & 2, C3 & 4, FP1 - 3.

Do I have to get my 90% in M3, FP2 & 3 or can I use any of these modules for my AS FM or A2 M modules.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest