The Student Room Group

I've never gotten an A grade; I feel bad.

I've never earned an A grade or higher (i.e. A*), and looking at TSR's standard: I feel bad about it.

During GCSE I got a mixture of B and C grades. At Level 3 I got B grades and D*D* in a Diploma. I am currently at university.

I just feel really bad about not being able to say that I have an A in anything.

I was thinking about re-doing a couple of 'easy' GCSEs again; I didn't have much motivation or inspiration when I did them first time around and I did not make use of past papers or online resources that I am now aware of how to utilise, so I think I would be able to do better if I were to do them again.

Opinions?

Much appreciated.
Original post by Wiggly
I've never earned an A grade or higher (i.e. A*), and looking at TSR's standard: I feel bad about it.

During GCSE I got a mixture of B and C grades. At Level 3 I got B grades and D*D* in a Diploma. I am currently at university.

I just feel really bad about not being able to say that I have an A in anything.

I was thinking about re-doing a couple of 'easy' GCSEs again; I didn't have much motivation or inspiration when I did them first time around and I did not make use of past papers or online resources that I am now aware of how to utilise, so I think I would be able to do better if I were to do them again.

Opinions?

Much appreciated.

Just get a first class degree, then you have more than smashed the whole 'A' thing.
You really need to just revise more, try harder and make sure you understand everything. It's it hard to get an A at GCSE. Maybe at A level you need to start trying but at GCSE any reasonably intelligent person should be able to get at least an A.
Tuff.

Nah just kidding, GCSEs don't mean much now that you're at uni, your degree will come in handy if you get it (along with lots of relevant work experience).
Nobody looks at GCSEs once you finish school, as long as you got above C in English and Maths.
Reply 5
If you want to do a couple of GCSEs again then the decision is yours, but if you're currently at uni then it seems perhaps the time could be better spent concentrating on your current course.
Plus, B grades at Level 3 are actually really good. It shows that you actually put a lot of work in, which is something to feel proud of. And isn't D*D* high or am I mistaken?
Retaking 'easy' GCSEs sounds good because you wouldn't have to do a lot but you'd still get a good grade, and you can tell people you got an A in something but in the end you'll know you wouldn't have done much towards it and it'll seem like an empty qualification, and time and money wasted.
Like I said, it's up to you but it seems that you'd feel better if you focused on your uni work at the moment so that you could get a high grade in that and feel better about your academic achievements.
Let's be realistic, besides the shielded world of tsr, your grades are still above average and pretty impressive. Even if they weren't, grades aren't the be all and end all. D* is pretty much an A, anyway..

You've probably done tonnes of awesome things. Being able to speak a language, play an instrument, paint, even just having a good sense of humour, is a lot more important than getting an A in an RE exam

Tl:dr ~ doesn't matter, don't worry
Original post by DiddyDec
Nobody looks at GCSEs once you finish school, as long as you got above C in English and Maths.

Even then, very few companies claiming this as a prerequisite will actually bother to check. I have friends who lie about their grades and it is unlikely anyone will ever find out.
Original post by ByronicHero
Even then, very few companies claiming this as a prerequisite will actually bother to check. I have friends who lie about their grades and it is unlikely anyone will ever find out.

It is best not to lie and risk getting done for fraud.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is best not to lie and risk getting done for fraud.

I agree. My grades are terrible but I don't lie about them. I'm simply supporting the idea that they essentially don't matter at all.

Quick Reply

Latest