The Student Room Group
Urea isn't toxic (unless at really high concentrations I think). Your liver actually turns amino acids into urea which can then be safely removed in your pee.
Original post by swopnil
Urea isn't toxic (unless at really high concentrations I think). Your liver actually turns amino acids into urea which can then be safely removed in your pee.

This doesnt answer the question: WHY is it toxic?
Reply 3
It contains ammonia which can harm human cells over time especially brain cells because it is very corrosive.

Hope that helps :smile:
I'm not sure. It's quite basic, but the blood is buffered against PH change.
Original post by may_1
It contains ammonia which can harm human cells over time especially brain cells because it is very corrosive.

It doesn't contain ammonia.
Original post by morgan8002
I'm not sure. It's quite basic, but the blood is buffered against PH change.

It doesn't contain ammonia.

It does. The amino acids are converted from protein into metabolic waste. This means alpha-amino nitrogen is removed, which results in ammonia being formed. Of course, it's not at its strongest, and is only harmful at high concentrations - which typically does not occur due to it being stored and dispelled from the bladder! It's more toxic due to its solubility than anything else. :wink:

CO2+ 2NH3 CH4N20 + H20
Original post by flippantri
It does. The amino acids are converted from protein into metabolic waste. This means alpha-amino nitrogen is removed, which results in ammonia being formed.

CO2+ 2NH3 CH4N20 + H20

This isn't really relevant.

Of course, it's not at its strongest, and is only harmful at high concentrations - which typically does not occur due to it being stored and dispelled from the bladder!
It's more toxic due to its solubility than anything else. :wink:

Solubility doesn't cause something to be toxic.
This isn't really relevant.

Aw, no need to be bitter. I was explaining how ammonia is found in urea which leads to its toxicity, which answers OP's question - so it kind of is relevant. :smile:

Solubility doesn't cause something to be toxic.

I know - bad wording on my part.Sorry! I guess, urea and uric acid are both toxic, with urea being more so due do its solubility - as, I'm sure you know, uric acid is near insoluble. It does, however, require less water to remove from organisms - so that's what I was trying to convey. Any more criticisms?
(edited 8 years ago)
Aw, no need to be bitter. I was explaining how ammonia is found in urea which leads to its toxicity, which answers OP's question - so it kind of is relevant. :smile:

In what land does urea contain ammonia?

Urea is a metabolic product of ammonia, that doesn't mean it contains ammonia? Glucose is broken down to acetyl CoA in some of the steps of respiration, that doesn't mean acetyl CoA contains glucose? If you want an even simpler example, when you breathe out CO2 and H2O as products of respiration, are you breathing out glucose too?

@Bubblybabybling to answer your question, urea in high concentrations in the blood is called uraemia which can cause cell death, oxidative stress, and interferes with some cell signalling, other cell chemical reactions as well as proliferation. It has a chaotropic effect on the cell membrane (interferes with hydrogen-bonding networks) which causes many of the issues I've just mentioned. It can also cause water retention and its associated conditions (high blood pressure, heart disease, oedema, nausea/loss of appetite leading to malnutrition/anaemia etc). It also directly damages nerves.

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I was explaining how ammonia is found in urea

There's your problem.
Original post by yasaminO_o
Urea is a metabolic product of ammonia, that doesn't mean it contains ammonia? Glucose is broken down to acetyl CoA in some of the steps of respiration, that doesn't mean acetyl CoA contains glucose? If you want an even simpler example, when you breathe out CO2 and H2O as products of respiration, are you breathing out glucose too?

@Bubblybabybling to answer your question, urea in high concentrations in the blood is called uraemia which can cause cell death, oxidative stress, and interferes with some cell signalling, other cell chemical reactions as well as proliferation. It has a chaotropic effect on the cell membrane (interferes with hydrogen-bonding networks) which causes many of the issues I've just mentioned. It can also cause water retention and its associated conditions (high blood pressure, heart disease, oedema, nausea/loss of appetite leading to malnutrition/anaemia etc). It also directly damages nerves.

Hope this helped :smile:

Okay, alright, I see how my wording was wrong and confusing. Thanks for the corrections! :biggrin:
High concentration of urea can affect the following body functions:
1) interfere blood cells production from bone marrow, causing anemia
2) interfere blood clot process by platelets, making blood clot slower
3) acidosis, causing accumulation of organic acids in the body like lactic acid
4) body fluid building up (edema)
5) prolonged clearance time of glucose

symptoms are easy to find.
Original post by hknobody
High concentration of urea can affect the following body functions:
1) interfere blood cells production from bone marrow, causing anemia
2) interfere blood clot process by platelets, making blood clot slower
3) acidosis, causing accumulation of organic acids in the body like lactic acid
4) body fluid building up (edema)
5) prolonged clearance time of glucose

symptoms are easy to find.

This is what I needed- Tanx! :biggrin:
urea doesn't contain ammonia. like u said ammonia is toxic and is therefore converted (broken down) into urea. u saying urea contains ammonia is like saying amino acids contain proteins - they don't. they make proteins but don't contain them similarly urea makes ammonia but doesn't contain it.however urea does contain ammonium ions that are still toxic, just much less than urea
Original post by ri5h1_01
urea doesn't contain ammonia. like u said ammonia is toxic and is therefore converted (broken down) into urea. u saying urea contains ammonia is like saying amino acids contain proteins - they don't. they make proteins but don't contain them similarly urea makes ammonia but doesn't contain it.however urea does contain ammonium ions that are still toxic, just much less than urea

The thread is two years old sigh.
Original post by may_1

It doesn't contain ammonia. The liver breaks down the amino acids and turns them into ammonia and then the ammonia is converted into Urea which is a less toxic version of ammonia.

Latest

Trending

Trending