The Student Room Group

AQA ISA's

Can anyone tell how they work, how many I do and if they are only 25% of the final grade will that dramatically affect my grade. I do Double Science by the way. And also if I get a C in my ISA but an A* in the exams what do you think I'll come out with overall?
you'll do 2 ISAs if you're doing double
Basically the ISA' are as you say worth 25% of your final grade and don't aim for a C in your ISA it is very easy to get an A* in your ISA and will help you massively I got an A* in ISA and C,B,A in my exams and still got an A overall due to the ISA. If you got a C in the ISA and A*s in all 3 papers for each Unit you would probably get an A/A* overall. Make sure you get as near to 100% in those ISA' I can't stress that enough. You should do 3 attempts of your ISA for each Unit so that's 6 in total and the best one will be sent off hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
you'll do 2 ISAs if you're doing double

But which subjects? Chemistry, Physics or Biology? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Aaron2515
Basically the ISA' are as you say worth 25% of your final grade and don't aim for a C in your ISA it is very easy to get an A* in your ISA and will help you massively I got an A* in ISA and C,B,A in my exams and still got an A overall due to the ISA. If you got a C in the ISA and A*s in all 3 papers for each Unit you would probably get an A/A* overall. Make sure you get as near to 100% in those ISA' I can't stress that enough. You should do 3 attempts of your ISA for each Unit so that's 6 in total and the best one will be sent off hope this helps :smile:

I personally find ISA's hard and the exams easier. Do you have any exam techniques for the ISA's ? Thanks
Original post by funky23
I personally find ISA's hard and the exams easier. Do you have any exam techniques for the ISA's ? Thanks

So did I! :u:
Listen to any advice your teacher tells you, read around the subject you're doing ISA on (Paper 2 especially) , E.G if it's endothermic reactions, read online, in revision guide, textbook and you'll have a better chance in aceing paper 2!

If you're doing Paper 1, especially for Chemistry, but also other sciences, check out the nuffieldfoundation.org.uk for practical ideas, they are really helpful!

For sources on your data sheet, try and deliberately do 2 different ones, eg: one in a book with more info related to your practical and one website only with information on the topic. Then you can ace the 3 marker on sources with simple arguments. :wink:

Make sure you practice the 9 marker, if I were you, get this done first in the exam! Then worst is first and done!

Any further questions, just ask, I hope something helped! :smile:
Original post by funky23

It's good that you find exams easier as the exams are 75% so your in a good position. Basically every question for the ISA paper is the same but diffenrt in the sense of the content if that makes sense so there the same type of questions and layer out the same with the same amount of questions and just learn how to answer each question and the revison element is very small. Learn all about anomalies what that means and if there are anomalies and apply them to the graph. Learn all this kind of stuff http://sciencegcseisamethods.blogspot.co.uk
Reply 7
Original post by funky23
Can anyone tell how they work, how many I do and if they are only 25% of the final grade will that dramatically affect my grade. I do Double Science by the way. And also if I get a C in my ISA but an A* in the exams what do you think I'll come out with overall?

I think you can attempt up to 3 ISAs for Science and 3 for Additional Science (one for each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics) but only one will be submitted for each GCSE.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
I think you can attempt up to 3 ISAs for Science and 3 for Additional Science (one for each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics) but only one will be submitted for each GCSE.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest