The Student Room Group

Career in structural

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sounds interesting. Mature students can follow many different pathways to uni so that's fine - but I would have thought they would at least want evidence of your maths.
Sounds pretty damn amazing!

For the maths, maybe they will give you extra lessons or something on it?
Just have to wait and see. Good luck!
Reply 42
Just to add, this is a good book for Engineering Maths. And you can get older editions cheap on eBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-A-Stroud/dp/1403942463

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Ah, I misunderstood... so they might offer you a foundation place - but not straight onto the full degree? That makes more sense :smile:

Good luck!
Congratz.
Reply 45
Yes! That's great news.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the apprenticeship engineering or CAD?
Reply 47
It's possible the business might help fund your uni requirement at UCLAN - you'd need to have that conversation with the owner.

Re the reference - I'm sure your accountant would suffice, and s/he could solicit some suitably positive feedback from your clients too.

I can't really comment on the UCLAN admissions process - maybe double check with their office...
It appears to lead to a civil engineering technician position. I am not sure exactly what that entails, but my guess would be it is a CAD designer (used to be called draughtsmen back in the old days). Definitely worth finding out.

With an MEng qualification I don't think you'll stay at the technician level ... in fact I don't even think you'll ever be on the technician career path. A master of engineering qualification usually leads to a graduate/junior/entry level engineer position, not a technician.
Anyone who is not your freind/family can do your ucas reference. I had a guy who I went to college with, he did amazing A*A*A and I asked him to tutor me, he is in year 1 engineering and has written my reference. Just try and get talk to about how you can do well at uni like your accountant saying stuff like I believe he can succeed rather than one that just says you worked here for 10 years without talking about your motivation, capability and so on.

I hate it when they aren't very clear. Just keep asking until you are sure. No reason to not go because the staff are lazy. If they assure you, try get some sort of email confirmation and then if any trouble arises email them with the proof that they said you had a place.
Reply 50
From the info you linked it looks like it would take a couple (?) of years to go through the Technician Apprenticeship, and then they might support you through the MEng. But it would certainly take more than 5 years..., however if they are funding it then that shouldn't be a problem :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree in a certain aspect. I am gonna be doing a foundation year and if I wasn't an idiot, I'd have chosen maths lol, point is for that mistake I will literally pay 9k, even if it does take time. Uni in total will cost me like 60k 4 years, maybe 5 with accommodation. If I had the chance to do a slightly later with a good discount, or even completely paid I'd 100% do it. Hell, I will also have exp to go with it. But you are right that uni will probably land you more quickly in a higher paying role, averaging about 24.5k/25k? So as long as you live out of London, you can pay your loans of relatively quickly, or simply take your time as it's better to see it as small tax.
You can apply for both positions? 1 at the uni and 1 at the website. Hopefully the uni take you on but at least then you have a backup.
Reply 53
I can understand where you are coming from :smile:

Just be aware that the student loan used to be very cheap but now is RPI+3%. It's still cheap, but much closer to standard commercial rates than before and RPI is only going to up in the near term.
Yes, but as a fresh graduate you're probably not going to go contract because when employing contractors firms are looking for people who can come in and do the job immediately, without requiring training. This takes at least a few years of experience.
Reply 55
That's brilliant! :smile:

Which course did you settle on?
Reply 56
So you are doing the engineering foundation and then deciding? Sounds like a very good plan. :smile:
Reply 57
Thanks for the update! :smile:

Hang in there! Are the others also struggling? Can you buddy up with someone doing well...?

Fingers crossed the change of Foundation will land you on a better organised course!
Reply 58
^^the important thing :smile:

Ask the tutor/lecturer to recommend books.

Try Engineering Mathematics by Stroud. The current edition is pricey but it should be in the UCLAN library, or buy an earlier edition and save £££s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1137031204/

Oh, they have a Foundation version:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-Mathematics-K-Stroud/dp/0230579078/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest