Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading - 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByronicHero
Not at all - you will be fine.

Just worried because i have been looking at the prices of the first year accommodation, after receiving an unconditional offer to study ba economics, and it looks very expensive in comparison to somewhere like Leicester
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Stephanohav
Just worried because i have been looking at the prices of the first year accommodation, after receiving an unconditional offer to study ba economics, and it looks very expensive in comparison to somewhere like Leicester

It would be, but it is still very easily affordable despite Reading selling their cheap accommodation (Sibly Hall) a few years ago. Leicester will obviously be the cheaper place to study and to live but that's because nobody really wants to live in Leicester. If you intend to get a part-time job then you will have far more money than you need even if you are - like me - far too profligate after five or ten ales.

Finances are important but don't persuade yourself that you must attend X university because you would have less disposable income elsewhere. If the courses are equally as attractive to you, and neither place particularly stands out then I would go for the cheapest place, however.
Original post by Hello278910
Can anyone tell me why only some people have been offered lower grades if they firm Reading???

It's because not all programme areas have joined the 'strategic offer making' regime that the University has introduced. The same goes for the 'academic excellence' policy which allows admissions tutors to make unconditional offers to those with the predicted grades and very good GCSE results. For the BSc Real Estate programme area, for instance, we have joined the 'strategic offer making' scheme but have decided not to make any unconditional offers this year.

It's a sign of the times and most universities are using similar methods to manage their recruitment process. Overall, it should work in your favour....so look on the bright side!

Joe Doak (UG Admissions Tutor for Real Estate & Planning)
Offer for Law! AAB :smile:
Reply 224
I hold an unconditional offer for politics and IR (:
It would be, but it is still very easily affordable despite Reading selling their cheap accommodation (Sibly Hall) a few years ago. Leicester will obviously be the cheaper place to study and to live but that's because nobody really wants to live in Leicester. If you intend to get a part-time job then you will have far more money than you need even if you are - like me - far too profligate after five or ten ales.

Finances are important but don't persuade yourself that you must attend X university because you would have less disposable income elsewhere. If the courses are equally as attractive to you, and neither place particularly stands out then I would go for the cheapest place, however.

Thanks for the advice. Was wondering if you have any information on Wessex Hall and st George's hall? like distance from uni, number of students, whether its sociable, thank you the advice is appreciated
Thanks for the advice. Was wondering if you have any information on Wessex Hall and st George's hall? like distance from uni, number of students, whether its sociable, thank you the advice is appreciated

Hi, sorry I wasn't in either of those halls . Have you taken a look at the information here?

If not, James might be better placed to help you.

James A
Hi, sorry I wasn't in either of those halls . Have you taken a look at the information here?

If not, James might be better placed to help you.

ta :tongue:

have a look through the first post in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1736782

It should answer all of your questions :smile:
Original post by James A
ta :tongue:

have a look through the first post in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1736782

It should answer all of your questions :smile:

You just quoted a post where I also linked to that thread :tongue:
You just quoted a post where I also linked to that thread :tongue:

dammit!! :lol:
Course applying for: Politics and Modern History
I got offered a place in early November which is unconditional if I firm it :smile:
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

I'm currently at Reading, so if there is anything you would like to know about campus life or anything you are unsure about, feel free to ask.

Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer

Hi, I'm wondering if Reading allows students to take extra modules for some courses?
Reply 232
anyone applied for Business?
Hi guys, I've applied for Law! Anyone else?
Original post by kkboyk
Hi, I'm wondering if Reading allows students to take extra modules for some courses?

Hi,

At Reading most courses (minus some courses which are NHS funded like Speech and Language Therapy) allow you to choose 20 credits worth of optional modules, from university wide subjects. So you can take a language such as Spanish or Italian, which is worth 20 credits, or you can take other modules. For example I took Introduction into Food and Agriculture, and Humans and the Environment. Both of these were from the Agriculture Department and each module was worth 10 credits. So I guess to answer your question, there is the opportunity to take modules that aren't part of of your subject, is this what you meant?

Hope this has helped and get back to me if you have any other questions.

Emma :smile:
2nd year human and physical geography
Reply 235
Does anyone know how many guests are we allowed to bring on an applicant day?
If any of you need any ideas or advice of what to and not to do in the town then let me know- I've lived here for 16 years
Original post by RK1998
Does anyone know how many guests are we allowed to bring on an applicant day?

Most universities accept a maximum of 2 guests.
Original post by SideShowWill2
If any of you need any ideas or advice of what to and not to do in the town then let me know- I've lived here for 16 years

Is the town rough? Is there much to do? And is nightlife good?
Reply 239
Original post by kkboyk
Most universities accept a maximum of 2 guests.

Yup thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending