The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prospectivemed56
Yep, 6k last year, although it's going up next year to about 8k outside London: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

A big chunk of that is means tested (starting to reduce from a household income of £25,000), although according to the student finance people here on TSR it's only your parents' or partner's income that's taken into account, not yours.

So would it be more in london? sorry just had a look at the link, that's good news!
(edited 8 years ago)
ok I have a question - I know this might not be the right thread but I feel like home here by now (maybe you can direct me to the right thread)

You know with the loans coming in for masters, I have two questions:
1. I have an MSci degree, would I still get a masters funded?

2. If I did masters and it was funded, could I get graduate entry medicine funded still?

I am considering to do a specialized masters if I do not get in.
Offer from Southampton today - pretty much the best Christmas present!! Happy is an understatement. :biggrin:

We have decided on the Southampton thread that there doesn't seem to be a specific way that offers are going out (i.e. not alphabetical, by UKCAT score). Best of luck to those still left to hear, and to anyone who hasn't got any interviews, don't give up: last year I had 4 pre-interview rejections and this year I have an offer and two more interviews to come!!
Well done. Massive congratulations, I think that is the best Christmas present ever. You must be elated.

I am resigned to going insane over the holiday period as I won't find out anything from Exeter until late January.
Original post by SummerSunshine
Offer from Southampton today - pretty much the best Christmas present!! Happy is an understatement. :biggrin:

We have decided on the Southampton thread that there doesn't seem to be a specific way that offers are going out (i.e. not alphabetical, by UKCAT score). Best of luck to those still left to hear, and to anyone who hasn't got any interviews, don't give up: last year I had 4 pre-interview rejections and this year I have an offer and two more interviews to come!!

Well done!

Well done and congratulations . May I ask few questions? Can they make an offer without an interview, what was your UKCaT score and what has changed from last year that your credentials grown . Thank you
Original post by Lanela
Well done and congratulations . May I ask few questions? Can they make an offer without an interview, what was your UKCaT score and what has changed from last year that your credentials grown . Thank you

Thank you :smile:

They definitely don't give offers without interview.

Last year my UKCAT score was quite low (697.5) which is why I didn't get any interviews; this year I got 807.5. I also have more work experience this year, but I think that my large UKCAT increase is the main factor.
Anyone know what kinda questions I should be expecting for King's interview in January?
Also, I've still not heard anything back from Barts, and I applied to their 4 and 5 year courses :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:

They definitely don't give offers without interview.

Last year my UKCAT score was quite low (697.5) which is why I didn't get any interviews; this year I got 807.5. I also have more work experience this year, but I think that my large UKCAT increase is the main factor.

Well done again . It seems I am in similar situation as you last year . My ukcat is very low . Any tips how to prepare ? It seems to me that any preparation book is much easier then an ectual test . Thank you
Original post by Lanela
Well done again . It seems I am in similar situation as you last year . My ukcat is very low . Any tips how to prepare ? It seems to me that any preparation book is much easier then an ectual test . Thank you

I did the Kaplan online course, read a few books and used Kaplan and Medify tests. I did not get such a good score (732.5) but it was still enough to get three interviews so far. Next year, I would spend more time on VR, cos I messed that one up.
To clarify, if I have worked for less than 3 years and am not married, I will not be eligible for the NHS Bursary in years 2-4 of my course? There does not appear to be any age criteria with respect to eligibility for the Bursary
Original post by durhamboy
To clarify, if I have worked for less than 3 years and am not married, I will not be eligible for the NHS Bursary in years 2-4 of my course? There does not appear to be any age criteria with respect to eligibility for the Bursary

You only need to be a home student to get the bursary. Part is not income assessed and part is (this bit is dependant on your age/living situation)
Original post by neuronerd
You only need to be a home student to get the bursary. Part is not income assessed and part is (this bit is dependant on your age/living situation)

Thanks for your help. I'm freaking out ever so slightly; so to recieve the approx £3,500 you only have to be a home student? The other conditions are only applicable on further amounts?
Thanks for your help. I'm freaking out ever so slightly; so to recieve the approx £3,500 you only have to be a home student? The other conditions are only applicable on further amounts?

I thought it was £1000 non assessed and another £3000ish assessed (ie under 25 based on parents income, over 25 based on own/spouse)
I thought there was 3.5k towards fees in years 2-4?

There is but you dont physically get that. You just dont get a bill for fees

Pretty sure that comes from the NHS in years 2-4.
Original post by neuronerd
I thought it was £1000 non assessed and another £3000ish assessed (ie under 25 based on parents income, over 25 based on own/spouse)

NHS bursary doesn't work on age- even if you're over 25, if you haven't supported yourself fully for 3 years they still go off your parents' income unless you're married. It's a real pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been busy starting work the last few weeks so I haven't been around much, thought I'd come say hi and see what's been happening :biggrin: I got my fourth interview invite today so I'm going to be busy in Jan and Feb, it's all quite exciting!

Congrats to those with Soton and Cambridge offers, you must be on cloud nine right now!

Commiserations anyone who has received rejections, I know from my application to midwifery how gutting they can be, stay positive!

I hope everyone is taking a bit of a break from interview prep to enjoy the holidays if you celebrate.
Barts rejection on Track!
2.i degree, 807.5 UKCAT. Looks like their new scoring system doesn't allow a high UKCAT to compensate for a 2.i!

I'm glad that I got the Southampton offer first or I would have been devastated!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending