The Student Room Group

Opinion: most underrated university among the general public

Fair warning: I realize that this thread might end up consisting of a bunch of people arguing and defending that their university is underrated, but I genuinely want to know what people think. Please try and support your claim with evidence/statistics rather than pure conjecture, as to why you chose that particular university.

I think a lot of younger people (myself included) are perhaps too heavily influenced by rankings when choosing our five universities. While rankings do have their use, they should by no means be a deciding factor. For an example, some universities have shot up in rankings (i.e. domestic rankings) due to the methodology used, which measure aspects that do not properly reflect the quality of institution. I think some solid and respectable universities are losing out on massive amounts of viable students due to their position in the guardian and thecompleteuniversityguide rankings. Meanwhile, some other universities are enjoying tremendous growth in number of applicants and popularity due to their position in the aforementioned rankings, which might not be a fair representation of the university. Just because some universities have a lower student satisfaction (just an example) than others, doesn't mean that they're not as good. In my opinion, student satisfaction is not at all relevant or an appropriate use of measurement, when determining the quality of a university.

If you were to pick a university that you think don't receives enough credit or recognition among the general public of the UK, which would it be? As mentioned previously, please do not just state a university without explaining your reasoning.

Scroll to see replies

Sussex? I hear it used to be considered Balliol by the sea but doesn't get bundled into the top tier of unis most of the time
Reply 2
Original post by cazzem
Fair warning: I realize that this thread might end up consisting of a bunch of people arguing and defending that their university is underrated, but I genuinely want to know what people think. Please try and support your claim with evidence/statistics rather than pure conjecture, as to why you chose that particular university.

I think a lot of younger people (myself included) are perhaps too heavily influenced by rankings when choosing our five universities. While rankings do have their use, they should by no means be a deciding factor. For an example, some universities have shot up in rankings (i.e. domestic rankings) due to the methodology used, which measure aspects that do not properly reflect the quality of institution. I think some solid and respectable universities are losing out on massive amounts of viable students due to their position in the guardian and thecompleteuniversityguide rankings. Meanwhile, some other universities are enjoying tremendous growth in number of applicants and popularity due to their position in the aforementioned rankings, which might not be a fair representation of the university. Just because some universities have a lower student satisfaction (just an example) than others, doesn't mean that they're not as good. In my opinion, student satisfaction is not at all relevant or an appropriate use of measurement, when determining the quality of a university.

If you were to pick a university that you think don't receives enough credit or recognition among the general public of the UK, which would it be? As mentioned previously, please do not just state a university without explaining your reasoning.

Leeds Trinity. It's a wonderful university. It's very small, but the lecturers are people who genuinely want to teach, rather than just disgruntled researchers.

The staff are all genuinely helpful and approachable. If you have a problem, they will help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leicester.
caltech
Oxford Brookes, I don't go there but apparently it's not as bad as people say it is. Then again this is TSR and you are considered a failure if you don't get into Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 6
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Imperial imo.
Would agree with bath and sussex
Original post by JohnGreek
Oxford.

Jk - I'd say Bath, which isn't RG or that well-known in my circle, but is great at Architecture and Engineering.

Spoiler

I agree. It's around 6th for my course, but a lot of people ignore it because it's non-RG.
Reply 9
You forgot UCL -_-

What do you mean?
You forgot UCL -_-

I don't think they did.
Most underrated...

UCL and UEA.

Most overrated...

KCL and Durham.
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe UEA as well, I hadn't even heard of it until I came to applying for unis
You forgot UCL -_-

This thread is about underrated universities.
Oxford and Cambridge (people need to realise oxbridge are good) not to mention LSE, Warwick and UCL again are massively underrated universities on TSR especially by the finance community.
Durham. It is one of the intellectual trinity: Doxbridge.
University of Michigan
Georgia Institute of Technology
St. Andrews. It's pretty high in the rankings but I don't hear many people say they want to go there. Maybe because of the location?
Reply 18
I'm going to throw it out there: Dundee. It's not a RG, but it's recently been voted the number 1 university in Scotland and I can see why. I love how the campus is so compact, and how anything you need is literally 5 minutes away. While I've had some issues with the Disability Services over mh issues (this has been resolved) there is a lot of support on hand.
UEA good for med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending