The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
The difference between what Cech as done for the Arsenal defence vs. what Mistake Mignolet does to ours..

Our defence wasn't half as bad as yours without Cech though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Our defence wasn't half as bad as yours without Cech though

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, if our defence had more confidence then it wouldn't look that much worse than yours. Clyne is a solid defender, Skrtel can be decent at times, Sakho can be good. Moreno a liability but good offensively.

Anyway great result for you guys tonight.
Been up to my tits at work lads, so haven't had a chance to get on here after yesterday's shower of ****e.

Well, that was all sadly inevitable, wasn't it? From the third minute where they won the corner, you were thinking "here we go again" - and so it proved. I feel for the players, really, because they were obviously terrible and abysmal yesterday at Vicarage Road but how do you compensate for a mistake like Bogdan?

The goalkeeping error was what we've come to know. It was Groundhog Day. But our players just can't seem to rise above individual errors. We go into our shell, we lack character, we fail to sort ourselves out in the face of bad officiating or whatever. Contrast yesterday's game - and the Newcastle one - with how we acted against Chelsea and Southampton. It's chalk and cheese.

Mignolet is poor in between the sticks, but we see how a goalkeeper riddled with nerves like Bogdan affects us. Many were advocating him to start - and it failed. Who knew signing Bolton's second-choice goalkeeper would NOT be a good idea, eh?

As for the rest of them, they were **** all over. Henderson - ready to ping those diagonal balls and grab the game by the scruff of the neck, at least until we conceded the second - was the exception.

For what's it worth, I thought Bogdan recovered well from the mistake to show some capability in goal, but **** knows what was going on in front of him. Deeney bullied Skrtel, to the point where I'd actually be tempted to bomb him out for foreseeable because I'm just not sure what he offers us.

The front-line was anonymous, too, with Lallana and Firmino (who seriously needs to get his act together - and quick) anonymous, and Coutinho too ineffective and willing to try the sensational in a bid to turn the tide, rather than the simple.

The annoying thing - well, one of many - about Firmino is that we just don't know which is going to turn up. I thought he just couldn't play with Benteke and get on his wavelength, but his mate Coutinho was back yesterday and the pair didn't contribute anything.

Of course, there are mitigating factors. The pitch was poor, the atmosphere was on us, the pace was frenetic, and Watford are a good side.

But they aren't unbeatable.

They do very simple things - bullying defences, adopting a physical approach, using Deeney and Ighalo so much it's almost untrue. Man United and Arsenal have both been there and won, and I bet Chelsea beat them later this week.

It was another poor result when sides around us dropped points. We are five points off fourth - not irredeemable, by any stretch of the imagination - but we keep taking a step forward and two steps back. It's not on - and something needs to be done.

Klopp alluded to it, saying we can't blame officiating and our reactions/character needs to be stronger. He's on the money, but he also needs to know his squad now. Sure, he's been here since October, but we saw Benteke and Origi cause them problems, so surely we should be deploying strikers at grounds like these rather than a false nine.

Our form - which places us 15th in the form table - is increasingly worrying, and this is a festive period which is now getting away from us.

Not that I can blame a few players. The aforementioned Henderson, and also Lucas (what else can he do at centre-back) tried hard, but dropped points against West Brom, sandwiched by defeats to Newcastle (which, at the time, I felt was just one of those days and no cause for alarm) and Watford is really, really poor.

There were fundamental positioning errors yesterday, and it's either down to Klopp's instruction or our players losing their heads after an early setback. The gap between midfield and defence was amazing at times, to be honest.

It should all still be to play for given PL side's form - but we must turn a corner soon, or fear another season in lower top seven obscurity.
**** me that's a long post. Sorry, boys.

I'll be busy all week this week - if anybody wants to do the Christmas Eve members interview, quote me.
Original post by Mackay
**** me that's a long post. Sorry, boys.

I'll be busy all week this week - if anybody wants to do the Christmas Eve members interview, quote me.

You gonna post your latest one thing week?
I quite like them to be honest; nice to get behind the insults and trolling and let people's personality shine through a bit. Great idea you had here Mackay.

I guess you aren't TSR D'Or for no reason... :wink:
Watched the highlights on MOTD2 last night, even though Bogdan was terrible by dropping the first catch, he actually had the ball in both hands when Ake kicked it out of his hands to score. Goal should've been disallowed.

For the second goal, Skrtel gets a shin on it to force Ighalo wider. If it had been any other striker who wasn't on such form or had Skrtel just got a little extra on it, then that second goal was unavoidable too.

Saying that, every loose ball and clearance seemed to go to a Watford player.
Watched the highlights on MOTD2 last night, even though Bogdan was terrible by dropping the first catch, he actually had the ball in both hands when Ake kicked it out of his hands to score. Goal should've been disallowed.

For the second goal, Skrtel gets a shin on it to force Ighalo wider. If it had been any other striker who wasn't on such form or had Skrtel just got a little extra on it, then that second goal was unavoidable too.

Exactly my points.

First goal was wrong but difficult for officials to see.
Second goal was literally unavoidable. Skrtel did his job and forced the ball wide; the finish was exceptional.

However I won't use that as an excuse - we were dire and Watford were amazing. We deserved to lose that game whether Watford got a few fortunate decisions or not.
Really worried about Leicester, they will defend deep which we are going to struggle to open up and then Vardy and Mahrez are going to roast us on the counter. Skirtle is out for 3 months apparently, so that leaves Sakho who had a mare last game and not 100% fit and Toure who has zero pace.
(edited 8 years ago)

Original post by Lúcio
Exactly my points.

Second goal was literally unavoidable. Skrtel did his job and forced the ball wide; the finish was exceptional.

However I won't use that as an excuse - we were dire and Watford were amazing. We deserved to lose that game whether Watford got a few fortunate decisions or not.

The issue - for me - isn't Bodgan mistake. It's how we react to it. I'm unsure if it's a lack of character, a lack of direction, a lack of leadership, or whatever, but we go into our shells all too easily these days. It's just not what I want from a Liverpool side.

Going forward this weekend, we were probably the most abject I've ever seen us. And that includes during Hodgson's tenure when Torres had supposedly downed tools.

I'm not even sure Watford were amazing, you know. I thought we were - to a man, bar Henderson - absolutely dire. I don't treat Stoke at the end of last season as a competitive fixture, in truth, but Sunday's result was probably the worst thing I've seen since that, and for a long time before that too.

Watford play an increasingly simple game, like Leicester. Both sides aren't revolutionary. In fact, they are almost primeval. Not in the sense that they play Pulis rugby-esque tactics, but they just stick to a very very simple gameplan that works. It's the equivalent of doing the same thing over and over again on FIFA, because you know the other player can't play against it.

They completely sussed us out this weekend. They knew exactly what was going to come from us, and which personnel would be key to any success we were going to have. They made allowances for that, and completely nullified us.

It wasn't amazing, it was just very, very methodical and well executed.
Reported to be going head to head with the Toffees for out of contract Marseille keeper, Steve Mandanda.

Apparently Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Sunderland & Leicester are in for Sam Byram. He's not that good lads.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Reported to be going head to head with the Toffees for out of contract Marseille keeper, Steve Mandanda.

Apparently Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Sunderland & Leicester are in for Sam Byram. He's not that good lads.

Is he good enough to be a squad player for a side competing for top 4? We are short in the fullback positions tbh.
Original post by samir12
Is he good enough to be a squad player for a side competing for top 4? We are short in the fullback positions tbh.

No. He's good but mid-PL is his ceiling. Plays more RW role now and has piss poor pace. He has a class touch & control on him though.
Skrtel out for 6 weeks and not 3 months as rumoured.
Chances of us going for Sam Byram are 0 and unworthy of discussion, as previously concluded. Sometimes Tornado likes to post in the big club threads to make himself feel relevant.
Mandanda's not a bad keeper, is he?
Original post by mr tim

Not at all bothered. He has been a constant in our defence for nearly a decade now - and guess what? Our defence hasn't been good.
Original post by Lúcio
Exactly my points.

The reaction from our players told me everything though. Bogdan not confident enough to argue his piece and the other players just kind of shook their head and moved on.

Can you imagine Carragher in that situation? He would have EXPLODED in rage at the injustice. No leaders in that back line for us.

I think the first goal just kicked our confidence.

Original post by samir12
Really worried about Leicester, they will defend deep which we are going to struggle to open up and then Vardy and Mahrez are going to roast us on the counter. Skirtle is out for 3 months apparently, so that leaves Sakho who had a mare last game and not 100% fit and Toure who has zero pace.

While Kolo isn't physically in his peak, I think his experience will aid us. I imagine Lucas will play in every game to help provide extra cover to our backline. Can might have to drop out even if Klopp loves him.

Lovren might actually be back for the next game or two..

Knowing our up and down season, we'll probably batter Leicester :colondollar:

Original post by Mackay
The issue - for me - isn't Bodgan mistake. It's how we react to it. I'm unsure if it's a lack of character, a lack of direction, a lack of leadership, or whatever, but we go into our shells all too easily these days. It's just not what I want from a Liverpool side.

Going forward this weekend, we were probably the most abject I've ever seen us. And that includes during Hodgson's tenure when Torres had supposedly downed tools.

I'm not even sure Watford were amazing, you know. I thought we were - to a man, bar Henderson - absolutely dire. I don't treat Stoke at the end of last season as a competitive fixture, in truth, but Sunday's result was probably the worst thing I've seen since that, and for a long time before that too.

Watford play an increasingly simple game, like Leicester. Both sides aren't revolutionary. In fact, they are almost primeval. Not in the sense that they play Pulis rugby-esque tactics, but they just stick to a very very simple gameplan that works. It's the equivalent of doing the same thing over and over again on FIFA, because you know the other player can't play against it.

They completely sussed us out this weekend. They knew exactly what was going to come from us, and which personnel would be key to any success we were going to have. They made allowances for that, and completely nullified us.

It wasn't amazing, it was just very, very methodical and well executed.

Agree with most of this. I was listening to TAW and they had a Watford fan giving his view and he was saying their manager comes up with a meticulous plan for each opposition team every week. They had obviously done their homework as how to hurt us and how to stop us.

Original post by TornadoGR4

Don't really know that much about Mandanda but he looks pretty experienced and being the club captain for a long time might mean he actually has some balls.

Original post by mr tim

Ugh that's not great.. we seem to have a lot of injuries at the moment.

Agree with most of this. I was listening to TAW and they had a Watford fan giving his view and he was saying their manager comes up with a meticulous plan for each opposition team every week. They had obviously done their homework as how to hurt us and how to stop us.

Read something about their being 'moles' at Melwood leaking information on lineups, preparation etc. Hilarious. It's like something out of Dream Team.
Might actually get to see Sakho and Lovren then.

But with these fixtures coming thick and fast you'd expect a Sakho hamstring injury soon.
Original post by Mackay
Read something about their being 'moles' at Melwood leaking information on lineups, preparation etc. Hilarious. It's like something out of Dream Team.

What is the benefit of leaking? Unless other teams are paying them?

Klopp will weed them out..

Original post by Gob Bluth
Might actually get to see Sakho and Lovren then.

But with these fixtures coming thick and fast you'd expect a Sakho hamstring injury soon.

Yea Sakho is a huge worry since his body can't seem to handle it.

Latest