The Student Room Group

A level choices for Medicine at Uni

I'm really conflicted about choosing my A-Levels, I'm definitely doing Chemistry and Biology but I'm split between: Maths, Physics, French, Psychology? I'd really appreciate some advice!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ursila16
I'm really conflicted about choosing my A-Levels, I'm definitely doing Chemistry and Biology but I'm split between: Maths, Physics, French, Psychology? I'd really appreciate some advice!

Maths and french.
Some unis will want maths, others won't. Have a look at what entry requirements the unis you're interested in want.

My friend got into medicine with bio, chem, maths and food tech.
Another got into dentistry with bio, chem and good tech. She dropped maths after AS.
Another medic in my school did bio, chem and maths.
And a third medic I know of did bio, chem and psychology.

I'd say, as long as you have bio and chem, you're good to go!
Bio and Chem are pretty much essential. With A level reforms pick another 1 or 2 subjects that you know you will commit to and achieve the best in as A levels are mostly linear now (With the exception of Maths)
Computing
Ict
General studies
Politics
Reply 5
Original post by judogainz
Maths and french.

thanks, that was my original plan! but i guess ive gotten more and more confused
Reply 6
Original post by Pharmaholic
Some unis will want maths, others won't. Have a look at what entry requirements the unis you're interested in want.

My friend got into medicine with bio, chem, maths and food tech.
Another got into dentistry with bio, chem and good tech. She dropped maths after AS.
Another medic in my school did bio, chem and maths.
And a third medic I know of did bio, chem and psychology.

I'd say, as long as you have bio and chem, you're good to go!

Thanks, that helps a lot, I'm just worried as to whether psychology is seen as a soft subject and if French is too 'common' now, I know it's important to be different when applying for uni's!
Reply 7
Original post by Questions27168
Bio and Chem are pretty much essential. With A level reforms pick another 1 or 2 subjects that you know you will commit to and achieve the best in as A levels are mostly linear now (With the exception of Maths)

Yeah, I guess so, it's just very stressful!
Biology, chemistry and whatever else you like and think you'll do well in (is it two subjects now or just one?).

To confirm, you don't need maths or physics. Psychology and/or French would be fine.
Yeah, I guess so, it's just very stressful!

Don't be stressed it's not worth it. You'll most likely have a chance to change in the first 2 or 3 weeks if you dislike a subject :smile: And don't feel pressurized to pick all facilitating subjects either. Pick 3 you know you will excel at.
Original post by Democracy
Biology, chemistry and whatever else you like and think you'll do well in (is it two subjects now or just one?).

To confirm, you don't need maths or physics. Psychology and/or French would be fine.

Medicine schools as of 2017 will accept 3. We aren't sure if doing 4 will be advantageous yet. :smile:
Medicine schools as of 2017 will accept 3. We aren't sure if doing 4 will be advantageous yet. :smile:

Thanks :smile: So will future year 12s do three A levels and no AS levels?
Reply 12

Thanks, it means a lot!
Reply 13
Don't be stressed it's not worth it. You'll most likely have a chance to change in the first 2 or 3 weeks if you dislike a subject :smile: And don't feel pressurized to pick all facilitating subjects either. Pick 3 you know you will excel at.

I guess so, that's what everyone's been telling me, I guess I'm just worried about not standing out enough to med-schools!
Maths and physics.
Doing three sciences and maths is easy because you have a similar mindset for all of them, and they're connected material wise together too
Reply 15

I'm not going to be doing AS's but I'm still picking four, I hate the new system, as even if you do drop a subject you have nothing to show for that one years worth of work!
Reply 16
Original post by RonnieRJ
Maths and physics.
Doing three sciences and maths is easy because you have a similar mindset for all of them, and they're connected material wise together too

Thanks, I'm just worried that I might seem to 'one sided'. Do you think I'd be at a disadvantage if I did?

That depends on the school :smile: Some are doing 4 and dropping one after an as that's not counted towards the final grade (so dropping for no qualification) , other schools aren't offering any as exams at all (since it's pointless really) so students are advised to do 3.
I guess so, that's what everyone's been telling me, I guess I'm just worried about not standing out enough to med-schools!

Don't worry! Med schools are interested in work experience and volunteering as well as just grades so do what you enjoy. You'll stand out if you have a passion for a subject even if that's not maths or physics.

I don't really think it would make much difference at all. I'd just pick your 2 best/favourite subjects out of that list.

Note, however, the exception is that if you want to apply to Cambridge, then you should do 3 science/maths subjects, ideally Bio, Chem, and Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest