The Student Room Group

Opinion: most underrated university among the general public

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnGreek
UCL is a better uni than Warwick

Obviously I disagree. I'm not sure if it's better on all subjects, but definitely from my viewpoint(maths and physics), Warwick is much better.

(excluding stuff like Maths and Economics) - so he should have mentioned it :'( <-- sad face

As above. Maybe for other subjects UCL is on this level.
Reply 21
You forgot UCL -_-

I just mentioned 5 top universities on top of my head calm down if i forgot to include your beloved UCL even doe i think Warwick>UCL i agree UCL is a top university alongside the 5 i mentioned relax yourself
Reply 22
Original post by morgan8002
Obviously I disagree. I'm not sure if it's better on all subjects, but definitely from my viewpoint(maths and physics), Warwick is much better.

As above. Maybe for other subjects UCL is on this level.

Warwick also has the upper hand on business and accounting related subjects but they are both top notch universities lets just leave it at that.
Reply 23
I'm pretty calm kiddo, all I posted in response to you was this:

Definitely. I personally think that it's the location that lets it down a lot, due to the isolation/poor nightlife etc. It just seemed like a town that I wouldn't really want to live in during the most exciting years of my life :s-smilie:

Kiddo? Your 17 ffs and applying for university while i am already a university student :I
Reply 24
Something which is not demonstrated in your writing skills.

Let's drop it.

Wont change the fact that i am older than you and therefore you cant call me kiddo.
Reply 25
manchester....

top 50 in world rankings and considered abroad as one of englands best unviersities along with the elite few.

yet in the UK, it doesn't have the same recognition.
Reply 26
UMIST, it doesn't exist anymore.
Reply 27
Original post by lad1997
manchester....

top 50 in world rankings and considered abroad as one of englands best unviersities along with the elite few.

yet in the UK, it doesn't have the same recognition.

I think the international league tables are always different to domestic league tables they always seem to contradict but yeah i agree Manchester deserves more recognition.
Reply 28
Original post by INF10
I just mentioned 5 top universities on top of my head calm down if i forgot to include your beloved UCL even doe i think Warwick>UCL i agree UCL is a top university alongside the 5 i mentioned relax yourself

UCL has a higher world rep. nearly all degrees will serve you well in the working enviroment.

warwick has lower international rep. Its maths, economics and physic departments are amazing. but the rest is okay
Reply 29
Leeds
Reply 30
Original post by lad1997
UCL has a higher world rep. nearly all degrees will serve you well in the working enviroment.

warwick has lower international rep. Its maths, economics and physic departments are amazing. but the rest is okay

Warwick is very highly rated by employers and nearly all its degrees will serve you well in working environment just like UCLs, and Warwick Business School and its economics and maths deprtments are renowned internationally hence warwick students are represented in ivy leagues such as wharton harvard mit etc, i am not bashing ucl i just stated that in my opinion warwick>ucl thats all
Keele I think is quite underrated.
Original post by Nicholas Nelson
Oxford Brookes, I don't go there but apparently it's not as bad as people say it is. Then again this is TSR and you are considered a failure if you don't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

I actually think it is overrated, people tend to compare it to the likes of Leicester and UEA, but as an ex-poly it has no right to be anywhere near those unis.
Three universities which suffer from domestic rankings well below their reputation and research quality because of expansionist business models adopted in the last twenty years:

Edinburgh
Manchester
Nottingham
Original post by strangesquark
St. Andrews. It's pretty high in the rankings but I don't hear many people say they want to go there. Maybe because of the location?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wilson_smith
Three universities which suffer from domestic rankings well below their reputation and research quality because of expansionist business models adopted in the last twenty years:

Edinburgh
Manchester
Nottingham

They're just underrated because of lower entrance grades compared to Oxbridge. Everyone sees it as Higher Entrance Grades=Higher Quality Uni/Course.
Original post by strangesquark
St. Andrews. It's pretty high in the rankings but I don't hear many people say they want to go there. Maybe because of the location?

Location is probably a factor, yes. But another factor is its limited course offerings - for example, it has no engineering or law departments, for example (both quite popular courses).

Ultimately, most people aren't looking to apply to a university merely because of its positions in the various rankings.
Reply 37
Kings is overated. Know a few graduates from there, didn't help them get jobs in their field (biomedicine).
Reply 38
Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial

Do any of the other unis even matter?
Original post by Free_Icecream_Yo
They're just underrated because of lower entrance grades compared to Oxbridge. Everyone sees it as Higher Entrance Grades=Higher Quality Uni/Course.

That was partly my point in attributing their decline in domestic rankings to their expansion in departments and student numbers. Although despite having 13,000 more students than Warwick - as many as some smaller universities - Edinburgh has equal average entry grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending