The Student Room Group

Pep Guardiola - next destination?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
A really good piece in the Guardian this weekend, on how Pep is exceptionally high maintenance and will need to be indulged.

Yeah I read that as well and any top team would take bit of ego massaging for Pep if it brought the trophy haul he has at clubs. After City's issues in defence and midfield yesterday, will need to spend well so it depends how much of a desire he has to spend time looking in the market for players for what he wants. Still feel the race for him is still slightly open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Aky786UK
Yeah I read that as well and any top team would take bit of ego massaging for Pep if it brought the trophy haul he has at clubs. After City's issues in defence and midfield yesterday, will need to spend well so it depends how much of a desire he has to spend time looking in the market for players for what he wants. Still feel the race for him is still slightly open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the race is open to the public, because of the contrasting narratives over which club Pep will prefer. Some say he wants a traditional club with a philosophy, while others suggest he'll welcome City with their financial and political might.

Bayern reckon his destination is sown up. Interesting.
Reply 22
Guardiola acting like Hazard leaving Lille ffs: “I want to experience the atmosphere in England and I look forward to the stadiums there. I am 44 and it is the right time. There are offers but I haven’t signed for anyone yet. When I have a new club I will let everyone know."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35234602

Pep Guardiola says he is leaving Bayern Munich to manage in England.
Reply 24
Kicker and ZDF have all reported recently he's going to City. Sky Sports Germany said today "we know 100% definitely that Pep Guardiola will join Man City next year".

He's going to City, this is just a charade in case Bayern draw City in the CL or something.
Original post by Mackay
A really good piece in the Guardian this weekend, on how Pep is exceptionally high maintenance and will need to be indulged.

I can see him going to City. I can't see it being anywhere else, other than maybe Arsenal. I get the feeling Arsenal would like Guardiola to take over the reins from Wenger, but the timing is obviously not right.

City want to be loved and universally adored as champions, so Pep's image suits that. United are altogether more nasty, willing to be hated, willing to dominate, willing to court controversy and provoke reaction, so Mourinho would be a more natural fit for that club. They'd relish him.

link?
He's obviously agreed to join City last summer or they'd never have given Pellegrini a new contract

Would completely undermine Pellegrini and ruin City's season if they announced it now. Like when everyone knew Hughes and Mancini were off and their form completely nose dived
I'm surprised he confirmed he was heading to England - assumed he would say he wouldn't discuss his future until the end of the season.

Hazard's reveal in 2012 had nothing on Kewell's when he was leaving Leeds! I thought Hazard was more self centred but he's the opposite in a way, can see it in his football at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My money is on Manchester City.
Original post by Mackay

I can see him going to City. I can't see it being anywhere else, other than maybe Arsenal. I get the feeling Arsenal would like Guardiola to take over the reins from Wenger, but the timing is obviously not right.

City want to be loved and universally adored as champions, so Pep's image suits that. United are altogether more nasty, willing to be hated, willing to dominate, willing to court controversy and provoke reaction, so Mourinho would be a more natural fit for that club. They'd relish him.

I think Guardiola is a bit of a risk in the Premier League. He might not do as well as people think.

There are four real superstar managers in the modern game: Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho. If I was chairman of a top Premier League club I would rate Ancelotti as my first choice out of them. He just ticks all the boxes and doesn't bring risk. Then probably Mourinho although you know he is likely to be difficult to work with whereas Klopp will be more positive. Guardiola would be my fourth pick out of those.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think Guardiola is a bit of a risk in the Premier League. He might not do as well as people think.

There are four real superstar managers in the modern game: Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho. If I was chairman of a top Premier League club I would rate Ancelotti as my first choice out of them. He just ticks all the boxes and doesn't bring risk. Then probably Mourinho although you know he is likely to be difficult to work with whereas Klopp will be more positive. Guardiola would be my fourth pick out of those.

Simeone
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Simeone

yeah forgot about him, he's a good shout as well - probably around on par with Klopp
Original post by Mackay
Guardiola acting like Hazard leaving Lille ffs: “I want to experience the atmosphere in England and I look forward to the stadiums there. I am 44 and it is the right time. There are offers but I haven’t signed for anyone yet. When I have a new club I will let everyone know."

Guardiola gonna put this all on twitter.

Gon say his favourite colour is blue or something.
Reply 34
Rumours today suggesting it's a straight shoot-out between City and Chelsea for Pep, with the former looking to acquire Pogba in a bid to help build his dynasty at the Etihad.

This one is just going to run and run. Wake me up when he decides and it's announced.
Original post by Mackay
Rumours today suggesting it's a straight shoot-out between City and Chelsea for Pep, with the former looking to acquire Pogba in a bid to help build his dynasty at the Etihad.

This one is just going to run and run. Wake me up when he decides and it's announced.

Well if he's picked England, the only clubs realistically in the race would be Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd.

Arsenal - still have Wenger and won't sack. Will just wait for him to retire on his own terms
Liverpool - just appointed Klopp, who FSG had been chasing for a while
Rest - not big enough/can't afford

I think Man City are just as desperate to sign Pep as Chelsea are but I think Chelsea will be more vocal about it in the papers. Man City won't want to disrupt their current season or undermine Pellegrini openly whereas Chelsea know Hiddink is an interim manager.

Both will effectively give Guardiola a blank cheque and a fair bit of power. I think Man City has a better set-up whereas at Chelsea he'll still be subject to the whims of Roman Abramovic. The fact he's sacked so many managers might be a point. Whereas Guardiola recently said around 3 years is enough at a club rather than a 20 year dynasty. Man City in the past have also talked about manager cycles of around 5 years before needing to freshen up.

Chelsea probably won't make it into next year's CL tournament either which probably makes the decision a little easier.

I'm sure Pep is playing a bit of a game. If he accepts an offer now, that's the end of it. Whereas if he plays Chelsea/Man City against each other, he can grab a little more power/control for himself before he finally accept.

Seems like Man Utd aren't that interest? Surprises me a little since he would tick all the boxes for them.
Reply 36
Original post by Zerforax

Seems like Man Utd aren't that interest? Surprises me a little since he would tick all the boxes for them.

LVG's their man reportedly, with Giggs set for the long-term. That's how they see the club going, apparently. That's not advisable, admittedly, but I think United see themselves as an altogether different outfit than the likes of Chelsea/City.
Original post by Mackay
LVG's their man reportedly, with Giggs set for the long-term. That's how they see the club going, apparently. That's not advisable, admittedly, but I think United see themselves as an altogether different outfit than the likes of Chelsea/City.

I hope they do that as I think it's a massive mistake :biggrin:

Giggs should only be given the reigns after a proper successful season where the club is in a strong position to attract players without the manager. No doubt people know who Giggs is as a player but that's not the same pull as a manager.
Reply 38
Original post by Zerforax
I hope they do that as I think it's a massive mistake :biggrin:

Giggs should only be given the reigns after a proper successful season where the club is in a strong position to attract players without the manager. No doubt people know who Giggs is as a player but that's not the same pull as a manager.

The issue for Giggs is that you now look at who deserves the United job, and a whole host of names are more experienced. He has been number two for a largely disappointing LVG tenure. He may have learned plenty from that, but Hughes is way more experienced - as are Bruce, Ince, Keane, Berg, Solskjaer, even Gary Neville.
It seems United are again briefing that they won't go for Pep as he's heading for City but also don't want to be embarrassed if they went for him and he joined City anyway. They began discussions with Ancelotti in November though, who had already had his sights on Bayern. ATM, it's looking like Giggs will be next in line unless they can lure Simeone away from Atletico (unlikely) or they are tempted by the 'devil' of Mourinho for 2 years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest