The Student Room Group

HELP - fine piece of dental floss = stuck!

Hi,

As the title says . .I have a fine piece of dental floss stuck between my teeth; lower left, teeth 5 and 6.

I was flossing as usual on Sunday night, and the floss got stuck. Then it shred, and a small piece of the floss got stuck. I could immediately feel the pressure, so frantically tried to remove it, but to no avail. 2 days later, I am still fighting to remove it. I have tried tieing a knot in dental floss, to see if that can help move it, but no luck @ all.

I went to the dentist this evening, and he was the most uninterested dentist I have ever seen. I explained I'm in pain, but he more or less just brushed it off and tried to blame it on my wisdom tooth which is giving me problems as well. But they are both unconnected.

So I have returned home this evening in tears because it's an annoying pressure / nuisance in my teeth that I just want gone so I can have some normality back in my teeth,

So TSR, does ANYONE have any ideas as to how I could probably get this fine piece of floss out of my teeth? I should also add that this is now starting to hurt / give me toothache . .again I said this to the dentist but wasn't bothered! GREAT!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DancinBallerina
Hi,

As the title says . .I have a fine piece of dental floss stuck between my teeth; lower left, teeth 5 and 6.

I was flossing as usual on Sunday night, and the floss got stuck. Then it shred, and a small piece of the floss got stuck. I could immediately feel the pressure, so frantically tried to remove it, but to no avail. 2 days later, I am still fighting to remove it. I have tried tieing a knot in dental floss, to see if that can help move it, but no luck @ all.

I went to the dentist this evening, and he was the most uninterested dentist I have ever seen. I explained I'm in pain, but he more or less just brushed it off and tried to blame it on my wisdom tooth which is giving me problems as well. But they are both unconnected.

So I have returned home this evening in tears because it's an annoying pressure / nuisance in my teeth that I just want gone so I can have some normality back in my teeth,

So TSR, does ANYONE have any ideas as to how I could probably get this fine piece of floss out of my teeth? I should also add that this is now starting to hurt / give me toothache . .again I said this to the dentist but wasn't bothered! GREAT!

if you look in the mirror can you see a bit of the floss
Reply 2
Tried pushing water/moutwash/other liquid through your teeth?
Original post by Abzz789
Tried pushing water/moutwash/other liquid through your teeth?

I've done warm salt water, I've done mouthwash . . and it's still stuck in there!

Original post by D.SHA64
if you look in the mirror can you see a bit of the floss

No you can't see it, that's what's annoying me! It's a fine fine piece of floss which is in the gum line I think!

Watched that lol
Reply 5
Tried a toothpick?
Could get some thread out of sewing box and try that, it's thinner than floss
Original post by Abzz789
Tried a toothpick?
Could get some thread out of sewing box and try that, it's thinner than floss

Not sure a toothpick would work because my teeth are so tight together!

Thread? Tempted to try but I really don't want to give myself a nasty infection from something that's not sterile?

This might sound gross, but it's almost like I want something 'sticky' to run along the gum line which will sure enough just stick the fine piece of shredded floss. And that will just 'whip' it out!
Tempted to try but I really don't want to give myself a nasty infection from something that's not sterile?

God yeah, it's a good thing all the food and drink and air that goes constantly through your mouth is sterile. You could get infections :yes:
Reply 8
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070308210658AA16dgA
read this i hope it helps
if not vist the dentists again but try noit vist the one that you visted last time- ask for a diffrent dentist
Reply 9
Not sure a toothpick would work because my teeth are so tight together!

Thread? Tempted to try but I really don't want to give myself a nasty infection from something that's not sterile?

This might sound gross, but it's almost like I want something 'sticky' to run along the gum line which will sure enough just stick the fine piece of shredded floss. And that will just 'whip' it out!

Dump it in boiling water and give it a minute or so
try flossing with dental tape... it may dislodge the thin floss.
Reply 11
I do know how you feel. Rarely floss because the gaps in my teeth are so tight.
Tried an interdental brush?
try separating some of your toothbrush bristles away (as if you had brushed too hard and the brush was frayed) then try to brush it out using the few bristles
Original post by D.SHA64
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070308210658AA16dgA
read this i hope it helps
if not vist the dentists again but try noit vist the one that you visted last time- ask for a diffrent dentist

LoL Literally just read that before posting. But I think I will wait til weekend and go to the out of hours dentist, if I still get it out.

Original post by Abzz789
Dump it in boiling water and give it a minute or so

I will try it and see but doubt it'll budge. But all for trying anything @ the moment, just to release the pressure.

Original post by the bear
try flossing with dental tape... it may dislodge the thin floss.

I went and bought some yesterday, and it's still not budging! It's like it's such a fine piece, that only something sticky will catch it and pull it out. :/
Original post by Abzz789
I do know how you feel. Rarely floss because the gaps in my teeth are so tight.

I never use to do it, but figured if I want to try and keep my teeth for as long as possible, I better up my oral hygiene and flossing would do my teeth the world of good! :rolleyes: Now look . . .

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
try separating some of your toothbrush bristles away (as if you had brushed too hard and the brush was frayed) then try to brush it out using the few bristles

Good idea, but the teeth are tight :frown:

Original post by Sabertooth
Tried an interdental brush?

Yep, a very small one with very soft bristles. But no luck :frown:
Reply 16
Chew a toffee?
I never use to do it, but figured if I want to try and keep my teeth for as long as possible, I better up my oral hygiene and flossing would do my teeth the world of good! :rolleyes: Now look . . .

Good idea, but the teeth are tight :frown:

Yep, a very small one with very soft bristles. But no luck :frown:

Try and separate only a few bristles :smile: It usually works for me when I get things stuck in my teeth. If you have an electric toothbrush, try that too, it might help to wiggle the floss enough to pull it out
How close is it to your gums?
I had the same thing, a very fine piece of floss stuck behind my teeth. It was seriously annoying, I ended up having to ask the dentist to get rid of it.
Original post by Abzz789
Chew a toffee?

How would I get the toffee to hit the gum line between the teeth though?? . . :confused:

Latest