Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
What is your favourite element?

Molybdenum (Atomic number 42)
Why haven't we been back to our moon?
Reply 4
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Why haven't we been back to our moon?

Costs a lot of money for manned flights to the moon.
We can send unmanned rovers there to study the moon in more detail, and for longer. Astronauts can only stay on the surface for around 3 hours due to the high level of radiation.
The moon landings were just used as propaganda.
Would not increase our knowledge of the moon in any way.
Provides no other advantage, scientific or otherwise.
Dangerous to the astronauts; they have to deal with large amounts of radiation; from the sun, cosmic rays, etc.

There are actually plans to send humans back to the moon and to set up a permanent base there, as well as on Mars.
Original post by Kyx
There are actually plans to send humans back to the moon and to set up a permanent base there, as well as on Mars.

Indeed. My next question would be; why bother with Mars when we have the Moon not so far away. Water?
Reply 6
Original post by Kyx
Big Bang - AMA
General Relativity - AMA

Science -AMA

I shall answer all (good) questions

I'm a biologist so have a good understanding of bio and organic chem. not so much physics. Can you explain string theory?
The nucleotide sequence of one DNA strand of a DNA double helix is 5’-GGATTTTTGTCCACAATCA-3’.

What is the sequence of the complementary strand?
have you got a big test tube ?

:holmes:
Do you think humans are halting our own evolution? If so, how? If not, why?
Original post by banana virus x
the nucleotide sequence of one dna strand of a dna double helix is 5’-ggatttttgtccacaatca-3’.

cctaaaaacaggtgttagt

aha i learnt that!
Original post by the bear

Well played, sir. :adore: :congrats:
Reply 12
Original post by treenyc
I'm a biologist so have a good understanding of bio and organic chem. not so much physics. Can you explain string theory?

String theory states that all particles are essentially the same thing; tiny vibrating strings. The reason we have different types of particle is because the strings vibrate at different frequencies, so we are really hearing the particles (sort of).

The best thing about this theory is that it predicts the graviton, Scientists tried to remove this graviton, but that did not work.

That's the simplest I could put it :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by banana virus x
the nucleotide sequence of one dna strand of a dna double helix is 5’-ggatttttgtccacaatca-3’.

3'-cctaaaaacaggtgttagt-5'
Reply 14
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Indeed. My next question would be; why bother with Mars when we have the Moon not so far away. Water?

If the Earth was to be destroyed, it is likely that the moon would be too (it is possible that it wouldn't, but it still may not be habitable). However, Mars would be likely to survive, hence the human race would continue to survive.

It's all about surviving the apocalypse.
Reply 15
Original post by Munrot07
Do you think humans are halting our own evolution? If so, how? If not, why?

I don't think so; evolution is a random process. if genetic modification became the norm, then maybe so. In the past 100 years, humans have grown 4 inches taller (I think that's the correct value), but this is due to diet not evolution. Anyway; why change something that is so perfect?

I think that the evolution of humans is slowing down (it will never completely stop), but that's because we don't really need to evolve. We have hospitals that can cure previously incurable diseases; the black death is still at large, but we don't hear about it since it can be cured with antibiotics.

So; evolution will never truly stop, but it may be slowing down. we cannot really say until thousands of years in the future (whatever we become) :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by the bear

Actually, I'm more of a physicist than a chemist. when I need a test tube I 'borrow' someone else's.
Two intracellular molecules, A and B, are normally synthesized at a constant rate of 1000 molecules per second per cell. Each molecule of A survives an average of 100 seconds, while each molecule of B survives an average of 10 seconds.

A. How many molecules of A and B will a cell contain?

B. If the rates of synthesis of both A and B were suddenly increased 10-fold to 10,000 molecules per second-without any change in their average life*times-how many molecules of A and B would be present after 1 second?

C. Which molecule would be preferred for rapid signaling? Explain your answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Banana virus X
Two intracellular molecules, A and B, are normally synthesized at a constant rate of 1000 molecules per second per cell. Each molecule of A survives an average of 100 seconds, while each molecule of B survives an average of 10 seconds.

A. How many molecules of A and B will a cell contain?

B. If the rates of synthesis of both A and B were suddenly increased 10-fold to 10,000 molecules per second-without any change in their average life*times-how many molecules of A and B would be present after 1 second?

C. Which molecule would be preferred for rapid signaling? Explain your answer.

I'm no biologist so I have to research this :frown:
Original post by Kyx
I don't think so; evolution is a random process. if genetic modification became the norm, then maybe so. In the past 100 years, humans have grown 4 inches taller (I think that's the correct value), but this is due to diet not evolution. Anyway; why change something that is so perfect?

I think that the evolution of humans is slowing down (it will never completely stop), but that's because we don't really need to evolve. We have hospitals that can cure previously incurable diseases; the black death is still at large, but we don't hear about it since it can be cured with antibiotics.

So; evolution will never truly stop, but it may be slowing down. we cannot really say until thousands of years in the future (whatever we become) :wink:

What do you mean by this? :smile:

Equally do you think stuff like hospitals are good thing for overall species fitness? Obviously morally they are a good thing but from an evolutionary stand point we like to allow deleterious mutations to survive and be passed on which isn't good for our overall fitness?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending