The Student Room Group

Controlled Assessment English

If I'm on a A in controlled assessments for English Language which is 40%, what will I need to get in the exam to get an A or even better and A* overall at GCSE? Thanks
With an A overall in your coursework as its worth only 40% rather than 60% you would most likely need an A in exam to get an A*/A. The boudnaries for English Langauge are low!
Original post by Aaron2515
With an A overall in your coursework as its worth only 40% rather than 60% you would most likely need an A in exam to get an A*/A. The boudnaries for English Langauge are low!

how about to get a C overall with an A in ur coursework
Original post by Helpmepickone
how about to get a C overall with an A in ur coursework

Obviously with an A coursework definitely go for the A. However, with having an A coursework you could probably get an D in the exam possibly a very high E and still just pass with a C.
Obviously with an A coursework definitely go for the A. However, with having an A coursework you could probably get an D in the exam possibly a very high E and still just pass with a C.

there is any E in our exam board
if u get below a D then its a U
so cos i got 87.5% in my coursework
if i get a D then i would get a C right
there is any E in our exam board
if u get below a D then its a U
so cos i got 87.5% in my coursework
if i get a D then i would get a C right

Are you on the AQA board cause you can get an E. And yes if you got a D you would definitely get a C. But thinking about it as I got a C coursework and a D in the exam I still got a C so with your A courseowrk and if you get a D in the exam you will probably get a B overall. :smile: I was not good at English at all my teacher was atrocious. Not an excuse as I got As in RS, classics and History
Are you on the AQA board cause you can get an E. And yes if you got a D you would definitely get a C. But thinking about it as I got a C coursework and a D in the exam I still got a C so with your A courseowrk and if you get a D in the exam you will probably get a B overall. :smile: I was not good at English at all my teacher was atrocious. Not an excuse as I got As in RS, classics and History

well done on that tho
but no there isn't an E in AQA
well done on that tho

I'm sure there is as a friend of mine got an E in English Aqa haha
I'm sure there is as a friend of mine got an E in English Aqa haha

o
well then thats fine
Reply 9

OCR

There is an E on all exam boards, all subjects for GCSE. For AQA English Language you will get an E if you get between 120-149 UMS overall.
Original post by Compost
There is an E on all exam boards, all subjects for GCSE. For AQA English Language you will get an E if you get between 120-149 UMS overall.

o ok
well how much do i need to get in the exam to get a C overall
i got 70 out 80 in my controlled assessment
which is an A and i was off by 2 marks for an A*
baring in mind the language exam is out of 8
do u know wat i need roughly
o ok
well how much do i need to get in the exam to get a C overall
i got 70 out 80 in my controlled assessment
which is an A and i was off by 2 marks for an A*
baring in mind the language exam is out of 8
do u know wat i need roughly

UMS grade boundaries are the same for all subjects, 90% or more - A*, 80-89.9 - A, 70-79.9 - B etc. All exam raw marks are converted from raw to UMS and the conversion varies every exam season - you can look up past conversions on the exam board websites.

AQA English Language is out of 300, 120 from the controlled assessment and 180 from the exam. Your controlled assessment mark has yet to be moderated and then converted from a raw to a UMS mark (and the conversion rate won't be decided until next summer) so there is no certain mark for it. However, if we call it a mid A, that would be 85% UMS =.0.85 x 120 = 102UMS. To get a C overall you need at least 60% UMS, that's 180/300UMS, so you need another 78/180 UMS from the exam, that's a lowish E grade.
Original post by Compost
UMS grade boundaries are the same for all subjects, 90% or more - A*, 80-89.9 - A, 70-79.9 - B etc.

AQA English Language is out of 300, 120 from the controlled assessment and 180 from the exam. Your controlled assessment mark has yet to be moderated and then converted from a raw to a UMS mark (and the conversion rate won't be decided until next summer) so there is no certain mark for it. However, if we call it a mid A, that would be 85% UMS =.0.85 x 120 = 102UMS. To get a C overall you need at least 60% UMS, that's 180/300UMS, so you need another 78/180 UMS from the exam, that's a lowish E grade.

so can u tell me wat mark i need to get a B
just the mark
thanks
so can u tell me wat mark i need to get a B
just the mark
thanks

As I said, you always need at least 70% UMS for a B, so that is at least 210/300 UMS for AQA English Language..

Quick Reply

Latest