The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FedoraTheExplora
Manchester United's Ryan Giggs is to take over from LvG in the next coming days, possibly before Christmas, says Jan Age Fjortoft http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03csz7c

About time.

skeptical of giggs taking over for 2 reasons

Can we trust the board to give him an adequate amount of time and a solid amount of money for him to work with in his first transfer window? (appointing him now could be risky since he has 0 experience in the market at all - does he even look like he knows whats going on when hes sat on the bench?)

Can we trust him to bench underperformers?
Original post by trapking
I would prefer Giggsy to take charge instead of Mourinho....I have a feeling Mourinho would just ruin our club. So pls Woodward don't you dare get Mourinho

And Giggsy would give preference to Herrera and actually play players in their positions, he's been helping Memphis and Herrera improve their games!

but does he deserve the job? it seems that we as a club are obssesd with the class of 92 taking over as backroom staff but lets be honest what experience does giggs have? 3 games as a manager and quite alot as a player...not enough for me plus if he really wanted the job he'd have left with phil neville and got some experience as a manager (he could have done a sherwood)

At this rate id rather take ole gunnar solskjaer rather than giggs...
Original post by scrawlx101
skeptical of giggs taking over for 2 reasons

Can we trust the board to give him an adequate amount of time and a solid amount of money for him to work with in his first transfer window? (appointing him now could be risky since he has 0 experience in the market at all - does he even look like he knows whats going on when hes sat on the bench?)

Can we trust him to bench underperformers?

I think Giggs will be backed for the Jan transfer window if he's given the job for 2/3 years. If he's only there till the summer and waiting for Pep to take over might not be backed. I think you're slightly under valuing the experience and learning giggs could have gained learning from Sir Alex.

I think it's unfair for all the criticism saying he's part of the problem of the style we're playing. If you're the assistant manager, and you have a manager like Van Gaal who's very strict and goes about his way of football. Only way for Giggs to have a positive relationship with the manager is to learn from what Van Gaal is trying to teach.

Sir Alex is infamous for getting the most out of what could be said average players. Giggs could be the one to elevate everyone's performances. Given the authority to play the "United" way.
Original post by Seabear11
Does everyone think that this is giggs chance to show that he can lead the club?
Not too sure where Pep comes into this. I like to think he'll be coming to us but with all his links to the city directors. Not too sure where he'll end up.
Personally would think thats the ideal scenario, give giggs the job till the summer. Let pep come in, Giggs assistant manager again. Learn from another manager.
Not too sure how long he'll appreciate being the second man at the club, or if he wants to try his hand as a manager somewhere else.

Mourinho is a strange one. I'm only hesitant to sign him, cause it means we given up on Pep.
Or that pep already has agreed to take over at city. Which would be a shame. If that's the case, I still think Giggs should be given a 2/3 yr deal to see how things goes.

if pep goes to city and giggs misses out on a top 4 place would you take Mou?
but does he deserve the job? it seems that we as a club are obssesd with the class of 92 taking over as backroom staff but lets be honest what experience does giggs have? 3 games as a manager and quite alot as a player...not enough for me plus if he really wanted the job he'd have left with phil neville and got some experience as a manager (he could have done a sherwood)

At this rate id rather take ole gunnar solskjaer rather than giggs...

nah i would say just give it to Giggsy for the time being but in the background Woodward should be working extremely hard to find a decent replacement whether that's Pep or someone else (other than Mourinho).....we need a fresh completely new approach of attacking football.

I wish Pochettino would come to Utd his style would be perfect for our team! (very similar to Klopps).
He'll be gone by Chelsea

Reply 766
@hayles101 Dont you think hiring mourinho could be detrimental though? hes not known for persisting in youth plus his arrival almost gurantees mata's exit(would you be happy with this?) and who knows maybe he might not even trust martial to play uptop(just look at the lukaku situation - he didnt trust him even though he had two very good seasons on loan)....Do you think that if we get him the board will encourage him to promote youth and play attacking football?

Mourinho was after Martial and Shaw and has also publicly praised Januzaj
if pep goes to city and giggs misses out on a top 4 place would you take Mou?

Well we don't know what's going on in the background.
Who knows pep might have already agreed to take over from us?
Very unlikely if he already knew where his next club is when he announced he's leaving a week ago?

If Giggs is given funds and backed for this January, I don't see the board sacking him 6 months into his contract. So no i don't think i would take Mourinho. The only situation where Mourinho should be coming in, in my opinion is right now and Giggs remains as assistant manager. Don't think its fair to give Giggs 6 months unless going in he knows he's just an intern manager and he's aware of the situation of going back to assistant manager come next season.
You guys are just horrible.

Been spending my lunch break reading the same **** on here for three days now FFS.
Original post by Dirtybit
Mourinho was after Martial and Shaw and has also publicly praised Januzaj

how is adnan nowadays? the lack of news of him as of late is worrying...
Wow, on almost every tweet on the official Man Utd page regardless of what it is there are so many LVG out comments :rofl:

Didn't think it was that bad :lol:

"Put LVG in Santas SACK" lmao
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Been spending my lunch break reading the same **** on here for three days now FFS.

I mean you've contributed with the same 'you guys are the worst, you guys are horrible' too. Obviously this is gonna get discussed the most.
@hayles101
Dont you think hiring mourinho could be detrimental though? hes not known for persisting in youth plus his arrival almost gurantees mata's exit(would you be happy with this?) and who knows maybe he might not even trust martial to play uptop(just look at the lukaku situation - he didnt trust him even though he had two very good seasons on loan)....Do you think that if we get him the board will encourage him to promote youth and play attacking football?

to be honest if giggs takes over he really needs to step up and drop underperformers and if LVG continues i hope he takes on board all the critcism and gets us playing better...playing martial on the left and persisting with mata(sorry but someone has to say this,he's not been performing for quite sometime now and hes going missing in games- need to get him more involved or just drop hiim for certain games) and rooney(LVG needs to accept that playing him uptop isnt working) is hurting us going forward imo and the centre midfield is just brittle with fellaini at CDM(Idk whether LVG is instructing him to press up its leaving gaps in our midfield allowing players to slice carrick open)....

I think, regarding the issue of Jose promoting youth, that he is sometimes unfairly criticised for this, at Real Madrid you cannot really promote youth so I don't blame him for that, not sure about Inter as I don't follow that league :redface:

At Chelsea, he had to sell Lukaku because of financial fair play- although now the decision looks absurd as Lukaku is a beast but at that stage a 27m offer from Everton was very high - perhaps you could say like us paying 36m for Martial :tongue: But still he bought Zouma (I think) and used him - he gave some youth team players like the Cheek guy a chance and praised him in public. Also at Chelsea, do you think he could afford to use youth players with Abramavich, who is ready to sack any manager if the results go badly.

At United he would get more freedom imo and would have to adapt to our culture and time will tell if he - firstly - gets the job - secondly - adapts :smile: Personally if LVG goes he's my first choice due to PL experience - I reckon Pep will not be as strong as he's used to managing the best team in the league by a fair distance such as the Barca team and Bayern who are the best two teams of the past 5-10 years - Also his reaction will be funny to all those empty seats at the Emptyhad :biggrin:
Original post by hayles101
He wouldn't have a clue on this front though. Klopp was based in Germany the same as him. As was Schweinsteiger.

Favourite is definitely Jose, virtually everyone else thinks so bar Jan. Don't think think a definite decision has been made. Wouldn't 100% rule out the club bottling it of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giggs as caretaker whilst we work out Mourinho's contract is the most likely option tbh
Adnan is back @ Old Trafford apparently (?) and Herrera coming close to a return.... :eek:

Also rumours we might be putting in a cheeky bid for J.Rodriguez @ Real :ahee:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 775
How do you expect people to believe that when he's wearing a kit with nike?
Original post by Dirtybit
How do you expect people to believe that when he's wearing a kit with nike?

its just an old pic thats just been posted up on the official website so i just put it up.

That was an update on the website though!

Edit: I could be wrong though so take it with a pinch of salt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 777
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Aw, let's chat about women & boxing & grime on the misc thread (obviously as separate entities) x
does anyone have a link where you can watch the press conference today live?
hold up lvg stormed out of the press conference...wth? it last 4mins and 58secs according to daniel taylor?

Latest