The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Of course! Praying and hope these worries don't stop you having a good Christmas :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was smart, you see I didn't schedule he next appointment until the 29th which is their first one after Xmas! :wink:

Good too see you have contingency plans for communion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
I was smart, you see I didn't schedule he next appointment until the 29th which is their first one after Xmas! :wink:

Good too see you have contingency plans for communion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, nice thinking :ahee: And thanks :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Hello everyone, I don't post here much but was wondering if I could ask for prayers? I'm having some medical worries lately and would appreciate some thoughts to our Lord :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying, here's a few promises from God's word :smile:

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)

" Answer me, O LORD, for Your loving kindness is good; According to the greatness of Your compassion, turn to me" (Psalm 69:16)

"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living". (Psalm 27 v 13)

Matthew 6:27 "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"
Hewwo everyone, just thought i'd pop in to wish you all a merry Christmas ^_^

And now back to my hole under the bridge once more.
Original post by Racoon
Praying, here's a few promises from God's word :smile:

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)

" Answer me, O LORD, for Your loving kindness is good; According to the greatness of Your compassion, turn to me" (Psalm 69:16)

"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living". (Psalm 27 v 13)

Matthew 6:27 "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

Thanks Racoon I appreciate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Hewwo everyone, just thought i'd pop in to wish you all a merry Christmas ^_^

And now back to my hole under the bridge once more.

same to you - and a happy new year!
Hey everyone.

The other day, I got a message on TSR from someone who wasn't a Christian but was following a different religion. It was just a short message, just encouraging me and saying they liked the way I handled replying to people (many of whom were hostile) on the 'God and Religion' thread.

Now I've had a few messages like that in the past, and they are so encouraging, and I just wanted to further that encouragement to you all.

I have made so many mistakes in the past, being excessively blunt and confrontational when arguing online (particularly because irl I tend to be eager for correction and critical of myself). But we should be gentle as the bible says numerous times. Keep doing what you're doing guys. Just as there are many who don't agree, there are also those who don't type anything, but just read the entire conversation, like the one who messaged me. There are people who are reading what you say, are seeing the love of God there, and who knows, may come to know God for themselves.
Original post by Pride
x

Aw that's sweet x Nice to see there's people still on here debating in a pleasant way now that a lot of the older ones have disappeared - I must try and argue with you sometime, evidently! I had a quick browse but the religion section seemed quite samey. May kick the Ask a Christian thread in the butt a bit.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Aw that's sweet x Nice to see there's people still on here debating in a pleasant way now that a lot of the older ones have disappeared - I must try and argue with you sometime, evidently! I had a quick browse but the religion section seemed quite samey. May kick the Ask a Christian thread in the butt a bit.

Yes, or you could always find Christians to talk with in person.
Original post by Pride
Hey everyone.

The other day, I got a message on TSR from someone who wasn't a Christian but was following a different religion. It was just a short message, just encouraging me and saying they liked the way I handled replying to people (many of whom were hostile) on the 'God and Religion' thread.

Now I've had a few messages like that in the past, and they are so encouraging, and I just wanted to further that encouragement to you all.

I have made so many mistakes in the past, being excessively blunt and confrontational when arguing online (particularly because irl I tend to be eager for correction and critical of myself). But we should be gentle as the bible says numerous times. Keep doing what you're doing guys. Just as there are many who don't agree, there are also those who don't type anything, but just read the entire conversation, like the one who messaged me. There are people who are reading what you say, are seeing the love of God there, and who knows, may come to know God for themselves.

Amen :smile:
Romans 5:8 - but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
1 John 4:9-11 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
http://bibleatlas.org/regional/assyria.htm

Very interesting link to some history of Assyria
Thanks for all prayers offered for me. Midnight mass was fine (coughing fit during the homily aside :colondollar: ) :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey sisters and brothers :h:
I wanted to share this book with you that I am about to buy and read. It's called 'Searching for Jesus' by Robert Hutchinson. The book is about new research concerning Jesus historically; some may argue that the book is biased because of Robert's religious beliefs as he is a Christian. Though Robert is an award-winning writer and author who studied philosophy as an undergraduate, moved to Israel to learn Hebrew, and earned a graduate degree in New Testament.

Some reviews:
"This entertaining book, setting its scenes with plenty of local color, demonstrates just how far the modern skepticism about Jesus has overreached itself. Questions remain, but Robert Hutchinson reminds us that we do not need to be browbeaten by those who say that only negative answers are available."
- N. T. Wright, Ph.D., University of St. Andrews

"Robert Hutchinson's new book -- Searching for Jesus: New Discoveries in the Quest for Jesus of Nazareth --is a significant and very welcomed contribution to the discussion about the 'Historical Jesus.' In his book, Hutchinson reviews recent archaeological finds and new directions in New Testament scholarship that challenge some of the older theories. He does it with great clarity and in a lively and intriguing way."
- Israel Knohl, Ph.D., The Hebrew University, Jerusalem.

So I'm quite intrigued to read it. Has anyone heard of the book yet or read it themselves yet? It seems cool so definitely priority on my reading list.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey sisters and brothers :h:
I wanted to share this book with you that I am about to buy and read. It's called 'Searching for Jesus' by Robert Hutchinson........

So I'm quite intrigued to read it. Has anyone heard of the book yet or read it themselves yet? It seems cool so definitely priority on my reading list.

Hi, thanks for that, I know someone who'd enjoy the read :smile: I'll pass the info on.
Original post by Racoon
Hi, thanks for that, I know someone who'd enjoy the read :smile: I'll pass the info on.

You're most welcome, God bless x
'Suppose there exists a Shakespeare play whose fifth act had been lost.**The first four acts provide, let us suppose, such a wealth of characterization, such a crescendo of excitement within the plot, that it is generally agreed that the play ought to be staged.**Nevertheless, it is felt inappropriate actually to write a fifth act once and for all: it would freeze the play into one form, and commit Shakespeare as it were to being prospectively responsible for work not in fact his own.**Better, it might be felt, to give the key parts to highly trained, sensitive and experienced Shakespearian actors, who would immerse themselves in the first four acts, and in the language and culture of Shakespeare and his time,*and who would then be told to work out a fifth act for themselves.

Consider the result.**The first four acts, existing as they did, would be the undoubted ‘authority’ for the task in hand.**That is, anyone could properly object to the new improvisation on the grounds that this or that character was now behaving inconsistently, or that this or that sub-plot or theme, adumbrated earlier, had not reached its proper resolution.**This ‘authority’ of the first four acts would not consist in an implicit command that the actors should repeat the earlier pans of the play over and over again.*It would consist in the fact of an as yet unfinished drama, which contained its own impetus, its own forward movement, which demanded to be concluded in the proper manner but which required of the actors a responsible entering in to the story as it stood, in order first to understand how the threads could appropriately be drawn together, and then to put that understanding into effect by speaking and acting with both*innovation*and consistency.

This model could and perhaps should be adapted further; it offers in fact quite a range of possibilities.**Among the detailed moves available within this model, which I shall explore and pursue elsewhere, is the possibility of seeing the five acts as follows: (1) Creation; (2) Fall; (3) Israel; (4) Jesus.**The New Testament would then form the first scene in the fifth act, giving hints as well (Rom 8; 1 Car 15; parts of the Apocalypse) of how the play is supposed to end.**The church would then live under the ‘authority’ of the extant story, being required to offer something between an improvisation and an actual performance of the final act.**Appeal could always be made to the inconsistency of what was being offered with a major theme or characterization in the earlier material.**Such an appeal—and such an offering!—would of course require sensitivity of a high order to the whole nature of the story and to the ways in which it would be (of course) inappropriate simply to repeat verbatim passages from earlier sections.**Such sensitivity (cashing out the model in terms of church life) is precisely what one would have expected to be required; did we ever imagine that the application of biblical authority ought to be something that could be done by a well-programmed computer?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5658
... What?
Original post by Aula
... What?

It's a quote from a lecture by NT Wright on the authority of scripture. This was under the heading 'the authority of a story' which tried to answer how a story can be authoritative. This was an example of how the bible is to new used by the church.

http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Bible_Authoritative.htm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending