The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stickman
I applied to both. Received offers to both.

Why can't you just apply to both? Both are respectable universities at the global scale.

UCL's Engineering department isn't as strong as Imperial's. However at UCL you will learn more practical/employability skills. At Imperial, no doubt you will learn to be an excellent electrical engineer but that is not all what employers are looking for.

Imperial is situated in the most expensive part of London whereas UCL is situated more towards King's Cross/Euston where commuting is possible so you can live in a cheaper area. Not to say Imperial isn't commutable, but you'll tend to live in more expensive places.

With Imperial you will have access to excellent facilities in terms of electrical engineering. With UCL the facilities aren't as nice but they're definitely on par to create excellent students. Bear in mind that the London Centre for Nanotechnology is at UCL which is shared between Imperial and UCL anyway.

I only have one choice left on UCAS.

I think the interview at imperial is putting me off, plus the social life. How did u find the interview? And also what are ur offers for each one?
Original post by Jonnyss
I only have one choice left on UCAS.

I think the interview at imperial is putting me off, plus the social life. How did u find the interview? And also what are ur offers for each one?

My offers two years ago were A*A*A and A*AB for Imperial and UCL respectively.

Interview at Imperial was fine. Didn't get asked any technical questions. Just on my interest. Actually I remember there was a graph in there somewhere, but it was all manageable. Strangely I found my UCL interview tougher with a nasty integration question but they don't do interviews anymore.

Social life at UCL is much better than at Imperial I can confirm.
My offers two years ago were A*A*A and A*AB for Imperial and UCL respectively.

Interview at Imperial was fine. Didn't get asked any technical questions. Just on my interest. Actually I remember there was a graph in there somewhere, but it was all manageable. Strangely I found my UCL interview tougher with a nasty integration question but they don't do interviews anymore.

Social life at UCL is much better than at Imperial I can confirm.

Where are u studying now?
Hi , can anyone pl advise if change in offer is common.
I received offer from Univ of Southampton on 4th Dec for M Eng (EEE) with my predicted scores as follows:
Maths 95% , English 95%, Physics 95%,Chemistry 90% , Biology 90%
My offer was
85% overall , 90% Maths , 85% Physics and 70% English.
In offer conditions they mentioned "you will need to send us your grade 10 (which is equivalent to GCSE) qualification certificate".
So immediately after getting my offer , I emailed them my grade 10 mark sheet (but scan of just part of it where marks are visible because that document is very broad and was tough to get full scan). I got reply asking for a better copy. I sent again , they said they need to have full scan. Finally 2 days ago , I got it scanned from professional scanner shop and sent the full paper scan. They received , replied " we have received , thanks , it is ok now , pl continue to check your UCAS track for changes".

I was confused that when I already have their offer , what more do I need to check UCAS track for .
Today I got UCAS notification that my Univ of Southampton offer is changed.
Of course it is changed for better as they have relaxed/reduced my Maths condition from 90% to 85%--I am happy obviously.

Is this very common? Has any1 else too experienced something of this sort.

Can I hope Imperial too to send me changed offer making it bit more relaxed:-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kind3110
Hi , can anyone pl advise if change in offer is common.
I received offer from Univ of Southampton on 4th Dec for M Eng (EEE) with my predicted scores as follows:
Maths 95% , English 95%, Physics 95%,Chemistry 90% , Biology 90%
My offer was
85% overall , 90% Maths , 85% Physics and 70% English.
In offer conditions they mentioned "you will need to send us your grade 10 (which is equivalent to GCSE) qualification certificate".
So immediately after getting my offer , I emailed them my grade 10 mark sheet (but scan of just part of it where marks are visible because that document is very broad and was tough to get full scan). I got reply asking for a better copy. I sent again , they said they need to have full scan. Finally 2 days ago , I got it scanned from professional scanner shop and sent the full paper scan. They received , replied " we have received , thanks , it is ok now , pl continue to check your UCAS track for changes".

I was confused that when I already have their offer , what more do I need to check UCAS track for .
Today I got UCAS notification that my Univ of Southampton offer is changed.
Of course it is changed for better as they have relaxed/reduced my Maths condition from 90% to 85%--I am happy obviously.

Is this very common? Has any1 else too experienced something of this sort.

Can I hope Imperial too to send me changed offer making it bit more relaxed:-)

Are you currently studing in Italy?
Original post by Pier Paolo
Are you currently studing in Italy?

No , I am studying Indian curriculum in Dubai .
Didnt think International students went through UCAS
Guys.. I'm just curious whether surrey EEE Can work as electrical engineer after graduate ?
Also how good of surrey EEE?
Original post by rexleong
Guys.. I'm just curious whether surrey EEE Can work as electrical engineer after graduate ?
Also how good of surrey EEE?

Yes if you graduate with an EEE degree you're most likely to be open to many electrical and electronic engineering companies. But that doesn't stop you from applying to construction firms either. But that can't be said about civil engineers trying to work for ARM for example.

Surrey is excellent in terms of EEE. Definitely an institute where research quality is high, and if you want to go further in the academia side of things Surrey is on par with Cambridge/Imperial.
Yes if you graduate with an EEE degree you're most likely to be open to many electrical and electronic engineering companies. But that doesn't stop you from applying to construction firms either. But that can't be said about civil engineers trying to work for ARM for example.

Surrey is excellent in terms of EEE. Definitely an institute where research quality is high, and if you want to go further in the academia side of things Surrey is on par with Cambridge/Imperial.

Thanks for the reply mate...
the surrey EEE is it similar as Electrical and power engineering ?
Original post by rexleong
Thanks for the reply mate...
the surrey EEE is it similar as Electrical and power engineering ?

No idea. Better to ask a Surrey student that themselves. But on the bare title and what I can gather there would be a lot more power engineering involved (ie energy generation, transmission lines, phase, power etc) rather than the electronics themselves (analog devices for example)
I am a BTEC student and i need some help with an Industrial Process Controllers assignment. Can anybody help please??
Anyone heard from Bristol and Southampton in the new year?
Original post by hedgemonkey
Anyone heard from Bristol and Southampton in the new year?

Southampton yesterday sent me an invitation to a Visit Day. I received an offer from Bristol in November, nothing new in these days.
Yeah what's up? Am doing that unit PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Talhanut
I am a BTEC student and i need some help with an Industrial Process Controllers assignment. Can anybody help please??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am making a presentation on EEE and i would love it if anyone who is currently studying it now to give me some pointers on what i could potentially talk about because I have no idea where to start :biggrin:
Thanks
Original post by Christone96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am first year student and I am having problems with the subject. I am attaching the questions with this message, can you help me with any of them.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 298
Original post by MahuduElec
Hey, I applied to Imperial, UCL and Southampton as well! Manchester and Bath as other 2 (chose Bath over Bristol).

I applied just under a month ago, and have 3 offers and two interviews left. Which one do you want to go to the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I applied for EEE at imperial, UCL, Leeds and Sheffield and engineering at Cambridge.. Did you hear back from any of your others uni's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 299
Original post by james355
Has anyone been to Nottingham or Sheffield? How do they compare to Cardiff?
Thanks

Where did you end up applying if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest