The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by victoriaB1995
That's what I intend to do anyway: I was quite lucky obtaining those scholarships and since my ambitions do not lie in academia, I am not that bothered about Cambridge :smile:

I'm surprised LSE gives scholarships so early though.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Got an invitation to interview on the 8th of January for MPhil in Psychology and Education. So excited to have finally heard back. Anyone else?
Also interview tips would be greatly appreciated. Its on skype as well!
Original post by 05autyt
Got an invitation to interview on the 8th of January for MPhil in Psychology and Education. So excited to have finally heard back. Anyone else?

Yeah, same here for the 6th. Scary stuff.
Do anybody know if having an interview is a standard procedure for PhD international applicants? Whenever I read about people having interviews, they've been MPhils.
Reply 704
Original post by Young Oldman
Do anybody know if having an interview is a standard procedure for PhD international applicants? Whenever I read about people having interviews, they've been MPhils.

It depends on your subject. In the Arts and Humanities, it is usually not required, but sometimes your prospective supervisor will want to have a chat with you on the phone or Skype (it's called "informal interview").
Reply 705
Original post by lostkauze
Yeah, same here for the 6th. Scary stuff.

It's cruel to set deadlines and interviews in the first week of January.

Nice holidays.:colonhash:
Original post by k.anne
For the writing sample, did most of you use an excerpt from your Master's dissertation? If so, how did you go about selecting which sections to display?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't have to be an excerpt from your dissertation - as you've identified it can be hard to choose which part! It's fine to submit an earlier essay to demonstrate how you structure a piece from start to finish and take the reader through your argument convincingly.

I actually chose to submit the study which I thought they'd find most interesting - the research was carried out during an Erasmus-funded study abroad, best experience ever and it showed in my writing.
(edited 8 years ago)

University policy is that all candidates who have a potential chance of being made an offer should be interviewed (can be via Skype or phone like Josb says, subject to ID checks) - different departments interpret 'should' differently, but across the university as a whole there seems to be a trend towards moving to more interviews.

The only applicants who must be interviewed, as it stands at the moment, are candidates for part-time postgrad degrees, regardless of nationality.
Hello,

I would like to ask those who have had to fill in the 'financial undertaking form' as part of a conditional/academically unconditional offer if they have encountered any problem with the university.

Is Cam really 'fussy' with the evidence - or do they just want a formal confirmation on paper that I understand that the uni will not help me out in case I run out of funds and that I have a realistic plan how to fund my studies? My parents' income has been extremely low in the past few years but it's surely going to be better and we have savings and the help from my grandparents if necessary.

I think my anxiety arises from what my personal tutor once told me. She heard of a student who got an offer for the same course that I'll be doing (grad medicine) and then couldn't do it. That's because she struggled to persuade her father who was divorced from her mother to sign the sheet declaring that he will contribute financially. She probably had several meetings with the uni and then withdrew upon recommendation. Still, it scares me out because I am planning to withdraw from my other choices as it is logistically difficult for me to attend the interviews in January and because I hope that some other lucky people can have their chance for a place at those interviews instead.

Thank you!
The sweet potato.
Reply 709

I am a PhD in Engineering applicant, and I got a request for an informal interview from my prospective supervisor yesterday. So I guess that it depends on the subject or the prospective supervisor on whether a PhD applicant gets interviewed.
Original post by omoz
I am a PhD in Engineering applicant, and I got a request for an informal interview from my prospective supervisor yesterday. So I guess that it depends on the subject or the prospective supervisor on whether a PhD applicant gets interviewed.

Hello, I applied to Engineering as well. Which group did you applied for?
Reply 711
Original post by YeloSweetPotato

Is Cam really 'fussy' with the evidence - or do they just want a formal confirmation on paper that I understand that the uni will not help me out in case I run out of funds and that I have a realistic plan how to fund my studies?

I think my anxiety arises from what my personal tutor once told me. She heard of a student who got an offer for the same course that I'll be doing (grad medicine) and then couldn't do it.

Cambridge makes it quite clear that you will not be able to commence your studies unless you can prove you can finance it. What your tutor told you was correct.
Hi Young Oldman, I applied to Civil Engineering Group, but so far my Self-Service status remains "Under Consideration by Department". How about you?

Hello, I applied to Engineering as well. Which group did you applied for?
Hi Omoz, would you mind letting me know when you submitted your application and which group you applied to? Thanks. I applied to Civil Engineering Group, but so far my Self-Service status remains "Under Consideration by Department".

Original post by omoz
Reply 714
Original post by phantompower
Hi Omoz, would you mind letting me know when you submitted your application and which group you applied to? Thanks. I applied to Civil Engineering Group, but so far my Self-Service status remains "Under Consideration by Department".

I applied to the fluid engineering/turbomachinery group. I submitted my application on 28th November and final reference went in on 8th December. My status still remains "Under Consideration by Department.'
Hi Young Oldman, I applied to Civil Engineering Group, but so far my Self-Service status remains "Under Consideration by Department". How about you?

Hi man, I applied to bulk superconductivity group. I am still under consideration, I will probably remain so until January or so.
Thanks. May I know when you submitted your application? I submitted mine on 1 Dec.

Hi man, I applied to bulk superconductivity group. I am still under consideration, I will probably remain so until January or so.
Thanks. May I know when you submitted your application? I submitted mine on 1 Dec.

Dec. 2 but last rec letter was submitted around 14 Dec if I remember correctly.
Accepted at my first choice, Kings! What a relief.
Anyone know about how candidates are selected for Cambridge Trust, when we hear from them, and what awards they give and how many?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending