The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

2nd year (child) student nurse - ask me anything!

Here to answer your questions about applying/interviews/course content/placements :biggrin:

First year of BSc course is the same across all fields (adult/mental health/child) so I can answer any questions about that too!

Ask away! xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What was the selection day like? I've applied for child nursing (2016 entry) at City and I had my maths, english and aptitude test yesterday x
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by Ettaxo
What was the selection day like? I've applied for child nursing (2016 entry) at City and I had my maths, english and aptitude test yesterday x

Hi :smile:

Congrats! Hope the tests went well.

The selection day is a group interview. It's really nice and relaxed, by far the nicest interview I went to! xx
Reply 3
Thank you! They did. Is there anything I need to research on or is it more general questions? Xx
Which parts of the course so far have you struggled with/disliked the most? Also, can you please tell me a bit about your placements? e.g. what tasks did you do in your first year, which bits were your favourite/least favourite and anything else you think might be helpful. Thanks :-)
Original post by Ettaxo
Thank you! They did. Is there anything I need to research on or is it more general questions? Xx

It's more general questions :smile: But I would maybe include thing's on the 6 c's and the 6 senses of nursing! xxx
Original post by Twisted_Log1c
Which parts of the course so far have you struggled with/disliked the most? Also, can you please tell me a bit about your placements? e.g. what tasks did you do in your first year, which bits were your favourite/least favourite and anything else you think might be helpful. Thanks :-)

I think the jump from first to second year is the thing I've found the most difficult to be honest! I really enjoyed first year, but I would say the assignments were the most difficult (it was just getting to grips with writing at university level really!).

My placement's in first year were health visiting (community) and I was on a short stay assessment unit (ward). I really enjoyed both of these but I loved being in a hospital setting. I got a really good baseline of knowledge and I found it so useful for my first placements of second year (I've just finished in a&e). Uni really sets you up for it, you do 75 hours of simulated practice in first year before you go out on placement so you feel really ready!
Original post by Iloveladygagaxo
I think the jump from first to second year is the thing I've found the most difficult to be honest! I really enjoyed first year, but I would say the assignments were the most difficult (it was just getting to grips with writing at university level really!).

My placement's in first year were health visiting (community) and I was on a short stay assessment unit (ward). I really enjoyed both of these but I loved being in a hospital setting. I got a really good baseline of knowledge and I found it so useful for my first placements of second year (I've just finished in a&e). Uni really sets you up for it, you do 75 hours of simulated practice in first year before you go out on placement so you feel really ready!

Thanks a lot! I was quite worried that I wouldn't feel confident enough in my skills before I go out on placement but that seems like plenty of time for me to practice and really get to grips with things :-)
Original post by Twisted_Log1c
Thanks a lot! I was quite worried that I wouldn't feel confident enough in my skills before I go out on placement but that seems like plenty of time for me to practice and really get to grips with things :-)

Yeah they teach you everything you need to know as a first year before you go out so you're really prepared :smile: and if you happen to do anything else on placement that uni hasn't taught you, the nurses and medical staff are really good to show you and support you in doing it! xxx
Reply 9
Original post by Iloveladygagaxo
Here to answer your questions about applying/interviews/course content/placements :biggrin:

First year of BSc course is the same across all fields (adult/mental health/child) so I can answer any questions about that too!

Ask away! xxx

4th year Computer Science student at City. What are your opinions of the social life here?
How man assignments and exams did you have each year
Original post by kyctellem28
How man assignments and exams did you have each year

In first year you have 4 essays, 2 exams and a practical exam plus your placements to pass. In second year you have 3 essays, 1 exam and a practical exam plus placement. And third year you have your dissertation, 1 essay, a medicines management exam and a practical exam plus placement (I think) xx
Oh okay thanks
What are the 4 essyes about and the 2 exams in first year
Original post by kyctellem28
What are the 4 essyes about and the 2 exams in first year

I'm not going to be too specific as it might change but for most modules you do, there's an essay that relates to it you need to pass in order to pass the module. one exam is to support an essay and the other exam is a biology exam then you have a practical exam too.
I am going to the test of City University tomorrow and i am a bit worried on the set question section of it, what what your set question and how did you find it? (if you remember?)
Original post by chxma
I am going to the test of City University tomorrow and i am a bit worried on the set question section of it, what what your set question and how did you find it? (if you remember?)

They're honestly nothing to worry about :smile: they're just common sense and really easy to talk about/elaborate on x
Reply 17
I'm going to do the maths & literacy test in March. How many total marks do you need to pass Maths and is the English test multiple choice questions?
Original post by emanlilo
I'm going to do the maths & literacy test in March. How many total marks do you need to pass Maths and is the English test multiple choice questions?

Hi :smile:

You need 39/50 to pass the maths and the English is made up of multiple choice/short answer questions and a short essay.

Good luck!! X
Hi I have applied to city and I will be attending a selection day next month. I was just wondering what are you term time like? Do we as nursing student have less holidays than other students? Need to know for accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending