The Student Room Group

Clear my confusion about Average bond enthalpy question?

So if a reaction is endothermic then it would take energy in from its surroundings. Correct?

Say for example the total reactants equate to 400jkmol and the products are 800kjmol. Then this would clearly be an endothermic reaction as the products gain energy.

My question is, when you find out the enthalpy change it is a negative. ( reactants- products. Eg 400-800=-400) This indicates that it is an exothermic reaction. Hence my confusion. Please help, I know I must of misunderstood something. Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Questioness
So if a reaction is endothermic then it would take energy in from its surroundings. Correct?

Say for example the total reactants equate to 400jkmol and the products are 800kjmol. Then this would clearly be an endothermic reaction as the products gain energy.

My question is, when you fidnd out the enthalpy change it is a negative. ( reactants- products. Eg 400-800=-400) This indicates that it is an exothermic reaction. Hence my confusion. Please help, I know I must of misunderstood something. Thanks

Using your numbers.

Energy required to break bonds of reactants = 400
Energy released in forming bonds of products = 800

Therefore, nett energy change is a release of 400. Exothermic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you.

I have one more question about Hess's law. Question 2b.
image.jpg
I keep getting -154 as the answer, however the answer is +154kj.
Attachment not found

^^This is my working out so you can see how I got it
Reply 3
I realise that some of the molecules aren't correctly put, please forgive me (it's hardly relevant to my answer)
I realise that some of the molecules aren't correctly put, please forgive me (it's hardly relevant to my answer)

See below
Original post by TeachChemistry
See below

At what level of education is this taught? I'm only in year 11 but it looks like something I could have a go at
Reply 6
Original post by Mayhem™
At what level of education is this taught? I'm only in year 11 but it looks like something I could have a go at

AS chemistry.
Original post by Mayhem™

Hess cycles are year 12
AS chemistry.

Hess cycles are year 12

Thanks!
Reply 9
See below

Does it matter which way the arrows are pointing? my book shows it pointing down for combustion and arrows point up for formation.
(edited 8 years ago)

My question is, when you find out the enthalpy change it is a negative. ( reactants- products. Eg 400-800=-400) This indicates that it is an exothermic reaction. Hence my confusion. Please help, I know I must of misunderstood something. Thanks

Hun its product-reactants not the other way round.

So 800-400=+400

Therefore deltaH + hence endothermic reaction
Does it matter which way the arrows are pointing? my book shows it pointing down for combustion and arrows point up for formation.

The values in your book are formation.
Reply 12
Original post by RonnieRJ
Hun its product-reactants not the other way round.

So 800-400=+400

Therefore deltaH + hence endothermic reaction

I was talking about calculating enthalpy change in average bond enthalpies.

image.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
The values in your book are formation.

Ahah right. That makes a whole lot more sense now. Thank you so much.
I was talking about calculating enthalpy change in average bond enthalpies.

image.jpg

Yeah still. No offence that book is ****

Ok when you work out enthalpy change using bond enthalpies follow these:

- work out bond enthalpies of products
- work out bond enthalpies of reactants
- find the difference between the two (take whichever is larger away from the smaller)
- if dH products>reactants, stick a + to the enthalpy change
- if dH reactants>products, stick a - to the enthalpy change.

That is it
Reply 15
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah still. No offence that book is ****

Ok when you work out enthalpy change using bond enthalpies follow these:

- work out bond enthalpies of products
- work out bond enthalpies of reactants
- find the difference between the two (take whichever is larger away from the smaller)
- if dH products>reactants, stick a + to the enthalpy change
- if dH reactants>products, stick a - to the enthalpy change.

That is it

Okay, sounds simpler. Thanks :P

Quick Reply

Latest