The Student Room Group

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rkhan57
Yes, we say we are a democracy, yet the head of our state is not elected?!

The head of our state is the PM... :facepalm:
Reply 181
Original post by NoDadNotTonight

No, the PM is our Executive.
There are many arguments for and against the abolition of the monarchy however why should we interfere with a system that works effectively and efficiently. The monarchy doesn't interfere with our freedoms and liberties like people have been suggesting... That's ludicrous! I think you'll find that a man in Britain and one in France will have basically the same amount of rights and liberties. The monarchy does bring in money through its crown estates and tourism and yes it may be a weak argument but that in itself shows that the monarchy acts to improve the UK rather than detract. Tell me abolitionists, what monarchical structure do you think you want to ban? The largely ceremonial, politically neutral monarchy we have today or the absolutist monarchies that have been so common throughout northern Europe throughout the 17th and 18th centuries? Britain has been seen throughout the 20th century to be under extremely well functioning governance and why change that? Abolishing the monarchy could lead to the prime ministerial role taking that of a presidential one distancing itself from the commons and the lords so why cause all this political upheaval which could lead to a wealth of instability when the current system is working as it is intended to. Also lets not forget how the monarchy has embedded itself in our culture. Diana's funeral left the nation in tears whilst Kate and Will's wedding attracted viewers upwards of 20 million.
Original post by NoDadNotTonight

The Queen is our Head of State. Who's face is on the money? :facepalm:
Original post by rkhan57
Yes, we say we are a democracy, yet the head of our state is not elected?!

That doesn't mean we aren't a democracy. We still vote in MPs into the House of Commons, have elected councils and elected governments in Wales, Scotland and NI in there regional parliaments and assemblies. I believe you are mixing up republicanism with democracy.
Abolishing the monarchy will kill the tourism sector.
I couldn't care less what happens to the monarchy or the morons who worship them like they are gods. It doesn't really affect me whether we keep them or not.
Reply 187
Original post by chopkins1997
That doesn't mean we aren't a democracy. We still vote in MPs into the House of Commons, have elected councils and elected governments in Wales, Scotland and NI in there regional parliaments and assemblies. I believe you are mixing up republicanism with democracy.

I understand that but the Queen has the most powers much more than parliament, and she is not elected? Surely democracy is about what the people want.
Original post by rkhan57
I understand that but the Queen has the most powers much more than parliament, and she is not elected? Surely democracy is about what the people want.

She has so much power that she pretty much has to do what parliament tell her to do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by Jammy Duel
She has so much power that she pretty much has to do what parliament tell her to do...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, she can refuse the royal assent, she has the utmost power
Reply 190
Original post by rkhan57

Dude. She has no power at all. That is the point of the Magna Carta, to limit the power of royals. Please elaborate on what the HM the Queen can do
Reply 191
Original post by rkhan57

We have a constutional monarchy, and we do want the Queen, polls show that over 80% respect her and want her to stay
Original post by rkhan57

She can, but won't unless it is something truly absurd. Do you know when the last time it happened was? Queen Anne, and that was on the advice of her ministers. What does inappropriate use really entail? A constitutional crisis and a potential end to the monarchy. As inbred as the monarchies of Europe may have been, few of them are idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by sw651
Dude. She has no power at all. That is the point of the Magna Carta, to limit the power of royals. Please elaborate on what the HM the Queen can do

Original post by sw651
We have a constutional monarchy, and we do want the Queen, polls show that over 80% respect her and want her to stay

Why do we need her if she has no power then? She is not elected so you cannot possibly say that we UK citizens want her, there should be a referendum to decide.

Original post by Jammy Duel
She can, but won't unless it is something truly absurd. Do you know when the last time it happened was? Queen Anne, and that was on the advice of her ministers. What does inappropriate use really entail? A constitutional crisis and a potential end to the monarchy. As inbred as the monarchies of Europe may have been, few of them are idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay but technically she can use her powers even if the consequences are bad for her.
Original post by rkhan57

I think you'll find that the prime minister now retains the powers of the royal prerogative. The monarchy in theory very powerful has used little of its power since the 18th century.
Reply 195
I think you'll find that the prime minister now retains the powers of the royal prerogative. The monarchy in theory very powerful has used little of its power since the 18th century.

Again, like I have already said, she may not use her powers but she can if she wishes. Why should she even have a opportunity to use them powers.
Used to really dislike having a monarchy but then I grew up a little bit.

Let's face it though, the reason they are still around isn't because of money.

It's because us Brits are desperate to cling onto every little bit of tradition and heritage we have - Britain isn't the world power anymore and they haven't been for a long time but we're a very proud nation and we still haven't lost that spirit I don't think.

They would never be voted out, even if they were costing us a lot.
Original post by rkhan57
Again, like I have already said, she may not use her powers but she can if she wishes. Why should she even have a opportunity to use them powers.

She can't use her powers though. As I have said previously her powers of royal prerogative now lie with the prime minister. If the queen attempted to use her powers of Royal prerogative it would probably lead to a constitutional crisis which would in turn lead to there being greater restrictions on the monarch or even the abolition of it.
Reply 198
She can't use her powers though. As I have said previously her powers of royal prerogative now lie with the prime minister. If the queen attempted to use her powers of Royal prerogative it would probably lead to a constitutional crisis which would in turn lead to there being greater restrictions on the monarch or even the abolition of it.

Okay for example, Queen refuses to give a royal assent to a piece of legislation. She CAN do this and yes the consequences may be bad for her but the damage will have already been done.

The bottom line is, why must someone who has not been elected have any powers whatsoever.
Original post by rkhan57
Okay for example, Queen refuses to give a royal assent to a piece of legislation. She CAN do this and yes the consequences may be bad for her but the damage will have already been done.

The bottom line is, why must someone who has not been elected have any powers whatsoever.

It has never been tested!

Hundreds of years and not once tested, if/when it was the law would be changed and the bill passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending