The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Such a shame. A decade ago, they had Hierro, Okocha, Djorkaeff, and welcomed Anelka not long after. Heck, even a couple of years ago they had Gary Cahill, Daniel Sturridge and Jack Wilshere on loan.

The way it's going, it could be any club these days. The likes of Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry, Leeds, Bolton, and even further down teams like Hereford have collapsed. It's almost a guessing game on who it could be next.
Original post by TornadoGR4
The way it's going, it could be any club these days. The likes of Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry, Leeds, Bolton, and even further down teams like Hereford have collapsed. It's almost a guessing game on who it could be next.

My money's on Charlton. There is a festering resentment for the way the club is ran among the Valley faithful right now, according to all accounts.
4,700 Wrexham fans at Stoke.

Lennon to remain as Bolton manager after the internal investigation into what the heck was going on with his mistress.
4,700 Wrexham fans at Stoke.

I'm one of those 4,700 in that picture. We sold out our ticket allocation but I know there were a few more Wrexham fans sitting in the home ends. We couldn't even qualify for the first round this season.
Just couldn't get any worse for Bolton at the minute.
Original post by Rock Fan
Just couldn't get any worse for Bolton at the minute.

It's sad that Bolton are on the brink yet Sky Sports news is dominated by LVG, Mourinho and all that noise. I mean, I understand why they get the headlines, but it's disappointing that an out of work manager has so much more coverage than the future of an established and once prominent football team.
It's sad that Bolton are on the brink yet Sky Sports news is dominated by LVG, Mourinho and all that noise. I mean, I understand why they get the headlines, but it's disappointing that an out of work manager has so much more coverage than the future of an established and once prominent football team.

Literally said this to my flat-mate last weekend. We were watching Sunday Supplement, and I was gobsmacked two fifths of the show were dedicated to Mourinho. He hadn't even been sacked by that point, too. There was no mention of Bolton - an FA Cup winning club - being in disarray and near the brink of extinction.
The worst bit is that people literally sit there and lap up all these non-stories about Mourinho etc. and his next crazy adventure. They're the same people who think that non-league clubs shouldn't be given time on TV for the FA cup so they can can watch their beloved Manure or Chelski instead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Literally said this to my flat-mate last weekend. We were watching Sunday Supplement, and I was gobsmacked two fifths of the show were dedicated to Mourinho. He hadn't even been sacked by that point, too. There was no mention of Bolton - an FA Cup winning club - being in disarray and near the brink of extinction.

The beautiful game. Not so much.
In other Football League news, lol @ Port Vale's skipper telling their fans to "shut up and support" the team ahead of their Boxing Day match.

You can see why Smurfwaite is looking to sell the club...
Gonna try catch a couple of Blyth Spartans games now I live up that way. £10 a ticket for the same quality of football I'd see at Elland Road :cool:
By the way, the Football League has signed a three-year extension with Sky Bet for their sponsorship, so I imagine we can all look forward to more 10 in 10 ventures and the like.
I love watching the Championship, but I feel Sky really need to be aware of how far fans have to travel, particularly as they like moving fixtures about for TV purposes. Boro going to Brighton at 12:30 was ridiculous for the fans, and moving our boxing day clash with Forest to Sunday leaves us disadvantaged for Derby's trip to Elland Road just 2 days later.

Steve Evans agrees & attacked the FL: http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-lufc-news/leeds-united-evans-accuses-football-league-of-trying-to-keep-united-in-the-championship-1-7640332
I love watching the Championship, but I feel Sky really need to be aware of how far fans have to travel, particularly as they like moving fixtures about for TV purposes. Boro going to Brighton at 12:30 was ridiculous for the fans, and moving our boxing day clash with Forest to Sunday leaves us disadvantaged for Derby's trip to Elland Road just 2 days later.

Steve Evans agrees & attacked the FL: http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-lufc-news/leeds-united-evans-accuses-football-league-of-trying-to-keep-united-in-the-championship-1-7640332

It's not just Sky that are doing it, which is the galling thing. BBC have been guilty with the whole Liverpool/Exeter debacle.
If you want to moan about tv games the worst has to be the season Newcastle were in the championship and had their away game at Plymouth moved to a Monday night. A bad enough journey at the best of times without forcing any fan to realistically need to take 2 days holiday to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
If you want to moan about tv games the worst has to be the season Newcastle were in the championship and had their away game at Plymouth moved to a Monday night. A bad enough journey at the best of times without forcing any fan to realistically need to take 2 days holiday to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember that game, it was during ash cloud chaos as well
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carlisle had to go to Plymouth midweek this season, too. Imagine that.
Complete sell-out for Derby v Fulham, with over 30,000 home fans expected.

It's a shame I've had to give my ST away for today as I'm working. ****ing retail :frown:
Always a shame to see Boxing Day fixtures cancelled because it's such a good day for football across the UK, but there seems to be a fair few more this year up North. Disappointing for those fans.

Quick Reply

Latest