The Student Room Group

The boy who cried wolf

[video="youtube;VM2nivOatWI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2nivOatWI[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Iran are one of the most detestable entities on the planet, OP. They must never be allowed anywhere near a nuclear weapon and much of their own population (as in the normal people) finds their leadership to be insane just as much as we do. So what is your point here?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by KimKallstrom
x

Incorrect there on several fronts - factually as well as analytically.

And i don't mean to disrespect you either.
Are Iranians still hanging people in public?

Does Israel publicly execute people for things like being gay?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Are Iranians still hanging people in public?

Does Israel publicly execute people for things like being gay?

having been to Iran numerous times I can say no.
You are brainwashed by the media, actually go to Iran and see what happens there instead of reading biased propaganda
Original post by homeland.lsw
You are brainwashed by the media, actually go to Iran and see what happens there instead of reading biased propaganda

Does Jewish run media photo shop the pictures then?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Does Jewish run media photo shop the pictures then?

Show me pictures, at the moment I don't care what you say because it doesn't mean anything
Of course Israeli media will do anything to put Iran under a bad light, they probably do photoshop the pictures.
And I didn't know Iran was bombing Palestine just like Israel is. In fact when was the last time Iran has shown aggression to any nation?

http://www.mojahedin.org/newsen/40231/Martyn-Day-MP-from-Scotland-blasts-human-rights-abuses-in-Iran
Show me pictures,

http://www.mojahedin.org/newsen

there are plenty of pics on this resistance website.

"not only in Iran but across the world"
And I'm sorry but this is coming from a group that politically opposes the republic, of course they are going to say things like that...
"The People's Mojahedin of Iran or the Mojahedin-e-Khalq is an Iranian opposition movement in exile that advocates the overthrow of the Islamic Republic of Iran."
Reply 10
Original post by Tawheed
Incorrect there on several fronts - factually as well as analytically.

And i don't mean to disrespect you either.

Netanyahu's shrill predictions aside it is pretty apparent Iran was working towards a bomb until recently.
Original post by the bear
http://www.mojahedin.org/newsen

there are plenty of pics on this resistance website.

???
Show me pictures, at the moment I don't care what you say because it doesn't mean anything
Of course Israeli media will do anything to put Iran under a bad light, they probably do photoshop the pictures.
And I didn't know Iran was bombing Palestine just like Israel is. In fact when was the last time Iran has shown aggression to any nation?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/iran-executes-hundreds-brutal-crane-hangings-mega-prison-outside-tehran-1508986

Irans just giving the people in Palestine the means to continue the tit but tat artillery barrages. They're helping the Palestinians to become victims.
"not only in Iran but across the world"
And I'm sorry but this is coming from a group that politically opposes the republic, of course they are going to say things like that...
"The People's Mojahedin of Iran or the Mojahedin-e-Khalq is an Iranian opposition movement in exile that advocates the overthrow of the Islamic Republic of Iran."

Good. the sooner the Theocratic nutjobs are deposed the better for the whole world.
Original post by the bear
Good. the sooner the Theocratic nutjobs are deposed the better for the whole world.

I hate to break it to you, but Iran isn't some devout Muslim country, where everyone follows the five pillars etc.
Iranian women hardly cover their hair in public, alcohol and drugs are smuggled in to the country. And now as the sanctions are lifted Iran will slowly grow economically and might even become a superpower. Iran is one of the largest producers of oil in the world.
This opposition movement will not be able to stop the state but I think you know that already.
And regarding capital punishment, what about China, North Korea, Yemen, The US, Japan, Thailand, Sri Lanka?
I hate to break it to you, but Iran isn't some devout Muslim country, where everyone follows the five pillars etc.
Iranian women hardly cover their hair in public, alcohol and drugs are smuggled in to the country. And now as the sanctions are lifted Iran will slowly grow economically and might even become a superpower. Iran is one of the largest producers of oil in the world.
This opposition movement will not be able to stop the state but I think you know that already.
And regarding capital punishment, what about China, North Korea, Yemen, The US, Japan, Thailand, Sri Lanka?

i am not an opponent of capital punishment. i would be happy to have it restored in this country for judicial purposes, not as a political weapon.
here is a recent update on the fun times in Persia:

1. According to the UN Special Rapporteur, Iranian authorities practice “widespread and systematic” torture to elicit confessions and punish prisoners. Flogging and amputation are judicially sanctioned “punishments.” Other abuses entail severe beatings with blunt instruments, suspension, electroshocks, burnings, mock executions, and threats of rape. Some detainees are held incommunicado for weeks or months without charge or trial. No independent monitoring of prison conditions is permitted.

2. Iran grossly violates freedom of expression

The Iranian government has cracked down hard on those who express dissenting views. Journalists, bloggers, and social media users face the possibility of arrest, arbitrary detention, long term-exile, and even capital punishment for criticizing the regime. 40 to 60 journalists had been imprisoned on charges ranging from “assembly and collusion” to “insulting the Supreme Leader,” according to the UN Secretary General. Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian was detained for more than 10 months without trial; since May, he has participated in two closed-door hearings, but so far no decision has been reached.
Blogger Mohammed Reza Pourshajari was given a four-year prison sentence for alleged “propaganda against the state,” insulting the Supreme Leader, and defaming Islam. In February 2014, Arash Aslani received an eight-year sentence for anti-government remarks he had posted on social media. Also, 12 Iranians were arrested for producing a YouTube video that showed them dancing to the song “Happy.” Between March 2013 and March 2014, 28 students were arrested and eight student publications were banned.

3. Iran severely represses religious and ethnic minorities

Discrimination against ethnic and religious minorities continues unabated both in law and in practice. The Baha’i community has borne the brunt of government discrimination. Its members are prohibited from entering universities and government employment. They routinely encounter prohibitions on their right to assembly and worship, and to engage in private employment. The government’s media engage in malicious campaigns to vilify the Baha’i faith. Members of the Baha’i faith are portrayed as a fifth column seeking to destabilize the country. Leaders of Iran’s Baha’i community have been imprisoned; the Special Rapporteur identified at least 126 Baha’is in detention as of August 2014. Revolutionary Guards destroyed a Baha’i cemetery in Shiraz as well as places of worship. Christians, too, are vilified by the regime. At least 49 Protestant Christians are imprisoned, with some receiving prison sentences as long as 10 years for engaging in religious activities deemed threats to national security.

In October 2013, four Christians received eighty lashes each for consuming wine during communion, and in the past two months alone, 18 Christian converts were reportedly sentenced to prison on charges of evangelism, creating house churches, and propaganda against the regime. Iranian authorities often threaten Christians with the charge of committing apostasy, which carries the death sentence. Arabs, Azeris, Baluchis, and Kurds also face persecution.
Reply 17
Original post by Aj12
Netanyahu's shrill predictions aside it is pretty apparent Iran was working towards a bomb until recently.

It's pretty interesting you feel that way.

Israel's own intelligence MOSSAD themselves disagree:
Leaked cables show Netanyahu’s Iran bomb claim contradicted by MossadFrom: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/23/leaked-spy-cables-netanyahu-iran-bomb-mossad

"But in a secret report shared with South Africa a few weeks later, Israel’s intelligence agency concluded that Iran was “not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons”. The report highlights the gulf between the public claims and rhetoric of top Israeli politicians and the assessments of Israel’s military and intelligence establishment."

In fact, even the Mossad Israel’s intelligence agency contradicted and discredited Netanyahu’s claims in 2012. The intelligence group reported that Iran is “not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons”according to leaked documents.

In today’s speech, the Prime Minister who also happens to receive over90% of his campaign funding from the United States also voiced in his address to Congress that Iran was “gobbling up all the nations.” It should be noted that Iran, a nation that is by no means a beacon of freedom, has not actually invaded any nation unless provoked in modern times
Reply 18
Original post by Aj12

Israel are even more hysterical now about Iran than they were before. Even after assurances and good-will from the iranian government and people, to bring confidence that they never were going for a bomb.

Why? Because Nethanyahu knew this, as did his intelligence. The aim of his game had little to do with this nuclear bomb hysteria he's been barking since the 80's or 90's.

It had everything to do with isolating Iran, bringing sanctions on it, and politically constraining it to weaken it and its influence.

As a shia i can tell you it's forbidden by Fatwa - and this can't be something you just break by the way- but the majority if not almost every scholar that nuclear bombs and nuclear weapons are harram - they are forbidden. This was reiterated by Ay. Khamanei several times. A fatwah is binding, if you go back on it, you will undermine the extensive religious following in Iran and globally. It's a grave, grave issue. If Iran built , or even proceeded to use a nuclear bomb, there would be a massive uproar- it simply would not be allowed to take place.

Lastly , here was a quote from someone before who summed it up better than i could have(hope she doesn't mind me using it):

Original post by Illiberal Liberal

Netanyahu has been crying about Iran's imminent nukes since 1992, anyone who takes his screeching seriously needs to get their head examined as far as I'm concerned. Also, note the irony in the only nation in the region with nuclear weapons (several hundred, in fact) which isn't a signatory to the NPT, and doesn't allow IAEA inspectors into any of its nuclear sites, going to such lengths to curtail the civil nuclear energy programme of a NPT-signatory which has stated its opposition to nuclear weapons and has international inspectors at all its sites around-the-clock.
Original post by Aj12

They are believed to have carried out some minor research on delivery systems until 2003, but that's the extent of it. Hardly "working towards a bomb until recently".

Let's not forget that Saddam used chemical weapons against Iran, to devastating effect, when Iraq invaded Iran in 1980. The world did nothing (except continue to fund and equip/assist Saddam). Iran had WMDs at the time (chemical and biological), yet refused to reciprocate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending