The Student Room Group

Imperial College of London.....Ms in Petroleum Geosciences...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lostrita
Hi guys may I ask does a first class honours degree student in accounting and finance but from lower ranking university have opportunities to be offered a place in any business related majors from business school of IC? Quite worried about the ranking influence. Will GMAT be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ranking of the instituiton doesn't matter, the fact that you got a first does. You have an excellent chance at getting in if you can show your enthusiasm for the topic.
Reply 21
Original post by Oilfreak1
Ranking of the instituiton doesn't matter, the fact that you got a first does. You have an excellent chance at getting in if you can show your enthusiasm for the topic.

However I did heard people saying that.. A 2.1 from Southampton has better chance and worth more than..shall we say.. A first from Nottingham Trent. Is it also true? I'm from a post-1992 uni and currently reviewing GMAT as a supplements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lostrita
However I did heard people saying that.. A 2.1 from Southampton has better chance and worth more than..shall we say.. A first from Nottingham Trent. Is it also true? I'm from a post-1992 uni and currently reviewing GMAT as a supplements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Southampton? Definately not maybe a university with a strong background in finance such as UCL or Warwick would give you an edge when applying but nottingham trent and southampton both fall under then non G5 category so no difference. There are people at icl with first degrees from essex etc. So i'd worry more about your application instead of the university you went to.

Just read your post properly, your 1st is flat out superior to a 2.1 from southampton.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Exactly , all you need is to provide the university with email address of the referee, the university will itself contact and coordinate him or her for reference.
Any one received an offer yet? I was told by admissions they have a huge backlog and could take 6-8 weeks for a decision to be made :/.
After a fresh wave of rejections for graduate jobs not feeling too hopeful about my chances of getting into ICL now.
Any one received an offer yet? I was told by admissions they have a huge backlog and could take 6-8 weeks for a decision to be made :/.
After a fresh wave of rejections for graduate jobs not feeling too hopeful about my chances of getting into ICL now.

Nope, but I only finally submitted my application on the 3rd. I was waiting to hear back from one of my referees and the transcript office so couldn't apply any earlier unfortunately! I think they're still waiting on my tutor to send a reference, and I haven't got my official transcript to send yet either so I'm not expecting to hear back for a while!

Don't know about your course, but the scholarship interviews are supposed to be late Jan/early Feb - maybe they prioritise applications for scholarships to get it sorted in time, but I'd hope we would have heard back by then!
Original post by rosiesaurus
Nope, but I only finally submitted my application on the 3rd. I was waiting to hear back from one of my referees and the transcript office so couldn't apply any earlier unfortunately! I think they're still waiting on my tutor to send a reference, and I haven't got my official transcript to send yet either so I'm not expecting to hear back for a while!

Don't know about your course, but the scholarship interviews are supposed to be late Jan/early Feb - maybe they prioritise applications for scholarships to get it sorted in time, but I'd hope we would have heard back by then!

Guess i'll just have to be patient then =T. Just so anxious, if employers think I don't have enough relevant experience can't help but wonder if postgraduate admissions will have the same attitude.

6-8 weeks it is :P

Edit: one of my referees wasn't listed due to the backlog of applications they're facing atm, if you're facing the same issues it's a good idea to call them instead of adding to the pile of emails they have lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Guess i'll just have to be patient then =T. Just so anxious, if employers think I don't have enough relevant experience can't help but wonder if postgraduate admissions will have the same attitude.

6-8 weeks it is :P

Edit: one of my referees wasn't listed due to the backlog of applications they're facing atm, if you're facing the same issues it's a good idea to call them instead of adding to the pile of emails they have lol.

Haha well if that's true then I'm screwed too - I have no work experience at all :P
I'm sure it will be fine, there are so many people who go straight from undergrad to postgrad, not everyone will have experience :smile: good luck all the same!

I had an automatic email to say one of my referees had submitted, and my tutor is notoriously bad at responding to emails so that's probably more the issue...

All the same, I will probably call them about my transcript - as I had to submit something on the application I just uploaded screen caps from Mystudentrecord and emailed to say that I'd send official documents when I had them...not ideal but no other way around it!
X.

Update: I GOT AN OFFER!!!
Now just fingers crossed for scholarships so I can actually accept! :biggrin:
Update: I GOT AN OFFER!!!
Now just fingers crossed for scholarships so I can actually accept! :biggrin:

Congrats when did they let you know? Looking kinda bad for me having applied in december and still being under consideration :/
Congrats when did they let you know? Looking kinda bad for me having applied in december and still being under consideration :/

Only yesterday! If i'm honest I thought it would be an automatic rejection because there was something wrong with my application as it came so soon!

I heard they weren't looking at any applications til the 4th, and maybe they work in reverse chronological order? Mine would be virtually at the top of the pile as I applied so late, so I wouldn't worry!

Fingers crossed for you :smile:
Reply 31
I applied on the 3rd and received my offer the same day as you! Has anyone heard anything about actually coming to the open day though?
Original post by GeoPaul
I applied on the 3rd and received my offer the same day as you! Has anyone heard anything about actually coming to the open day though?

I have an open day on the 20th but still not actually received an offer, hoping its down to it being a different course.
Reply 33
I have an open day on the 20th but still not actually received an offer, hoping its down to it being a different course.

What course have you applied for?

I know the Pet Geo MSc open day is on the 29th, but I haven't received anything to say I'm actually invited.. but it's getting quite close to the time.
Original post by GeoPaul

I know the Pet Geo MSc open day is on the 29th, but I haven't received anything to say I'm actually invited.. but it's getting quite close to the time.

Metals and Energy finance, same school (well kind of its both in earth sci and the business school). It would probably best to email them expressing your interest to attend the open day.
Original post by GeoPaul

Are you under consideration for scholarships?
I don't know if I need to 'accept' my offer so that they know I'm interested in attending, to gain an invite to the open day, or if I should wait to accept until I know if I am offered a scholarship?

:/
Reply 36
Are you under consideration for scholarships?
I don't know if I need to 'accept' my offer so that they know I'm interested in attending, to gain an invite to the open day, or if I should wait to accept until I know if I am offered a scholarship?

:/

I got given an offer already, so I'm assuming I am. I don't think you'd need to accept it, after all the open day is designed to see if you like the course. Hopefully we'll hear something within a week or so :smile:
Original post by GeoPaul
I got given an offer already, so I'm assuming I am. I don't think you'd need to accept it, after all the open day is designed to see if you like the course. Hopefully we'll hear something within a week or so :smile:

I just got the email today, the interviews/open day are on the 29th.
Hadn't quite twigged that that's the Friday after next!
eek!
Reply 38
I just got the email today, the interviews/open day are on the 29th.
Hadn't quite twigged that that's the Friday after next!
eek!

Yeah I got the same one!
Original post by GeoPaul
Yeah I got the same one!

Not really sure what to do in terms of preparation, I guess just why Imperial, why the course etc?

The train fares though :s-smilie: A direct return would cost me £90 D:
Luckily found national express coaches for £15 return, but I have to be up at 4 am :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending