The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kcl chance for us student???

Hi there! I'm a student from the US interested in studying law at either KCL, Queen Mary London, SOAS, City, or Westminster (this is in order of desire to study at particular school and, consequently, difficulty of acceptance). I was wondering what these schools prioritize from their applicants. Test scores? Job experience? Extracurriculars? UCAS doesn't ask for a transcript upload or send-in and it seems like GPA and class grades are all self-reporting. Do individual schools ask for transcripts once they've made an offer or do they not check at all??

I know a lot of upper echelon UK schools look at AP scores for US applicants. I've been in the AP program since freshman year and have scored consecutive 3s (attributed largely to an extracurricular/academic overload) and one 4 in AP Language and Composition. I don't know whether I should even send my scores since 3s are considered quite low on the scoring spectrum. Maybe 3s for the City and Westminster are ok but I'm afraid it may be discouraging to the better schools. Advice?

Stats:
GPA:
4.0/4.0
ACT:
composite: 29
English: 34
Mathematics: 28
Reading: 28
Science: 27
SAT SUBJECT TESTS:
U.S. History: 670
Biology M: 650
Literature: 620
World History: 590
Spanish: 530
PSAT:
180 (placing me in the 88th percentile)
AP EXAMS:
Lang: 4
US History: 3
World History: 3
US Government: 3
Psychology: 3
Biology: 3
CLASS RANK:
Top 14%-20% (my school only gives range)
EXTRACURRICULARS:
Debate: 4 years (won multiple awards, qualified/competed state twice, captain junior year)
Model UN: 3 years (won multiple awards, won awards at Harvard, Stanford, UC Berkely, UChicago, Northwestern competitions, held executive position all 3 years)
School Newspaper: 3 years (editor-in-chief second and third years, section editor first year)
Band: 2 years (won two 1st place medals at soloist competitions outside of school as well, selected to play exclusive concerts at state level, played instrument for 6 years including the 2 years in highschool)
Marching Band: 2 years
Scholastic Bowl: 2 years
Literary Magazine: 1 year
RECOMMENDATION:
Got an amazing recommendation from my AP Lang. teacher.
JOB EXPERIENCE:
Tutor: 8 years
Babysitter: 6 years
Instrument Instructor: 3 years

Alright! That's about it. I'm getting pretty nervous at this point since the deadline is fast approaching. I'd really appreciate any information and advice concerning my chances in applying to the schools listed, applying for law, and applying as an American student in general. (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump bump bump
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Wow all of this sounds good

Hope you get into your desired university.

Good luck.
You’ve got a great chance for all of them, and pretty good to KCL as well. Generally speaking, UK unis don’t care about anything except test scores, so SAT I/II, ACT & AP. ECs they only look at if they are relevant to your course, so debate and model un, and it’s not that important compared to your test scores. I’m an American and I got into KCL this year (for History) with a 2040 SAT, 544 AP, 720 US History, 650 Lit, 640 world history. No uni I applied to asked for a transcript, they just want self-reported test scores, not sure if I have to send in official transcript/test scores when I firm. I can really only speak about KCL, don’t know anything about the others. Law is competitive there, but don’t stress, your scores are pretty strong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Monarching
You’ve got a great chance for all of them, and pretty good to KCL as well. Generally speaking, UK unis don’t care about anything except test scores, so SAT I/II, ACT & AP. ECs they only look at if they are relevant to your course, so debate and model un, and it’s not that important compared to your test scores. I’m an American and I got into KCL this year (for History) with a 2040 SAT, 544 AP, 720 US History, 650 Lit, 640 world history. No uni I applied to asked for a transcript, they just want self-reported test scores, not sure if I have to send in official transcript/test scores when I firm. I can really only speak about KCL, don’t know anything about the others. Law is competitive there, but don’t stress, your scores are pretty strong.

Thanks for the response! Really reassuring. (: So do you think I should omit (since they're mostly 3s) or include the AP scores? I can't imagine getting away with self reporting in the US. It's a bit weird that they allow it on UCAS too though. Couldn't someone just lie about their scores to increase their chances of getting in?
Ok just checked my offer letter:
"Please note that you may be required to present original documentation to confirm your academic, and if applicable, EnglishLanguage qualifications at enrollment."
I certainly wouldn't recommend lying about any qualifications, but they check just in case anyone might.
Check this website -
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/offices/north-america/usa/undergraduate.aspx
It has the entry requirement for USA undergrads. They seem to count 650 on the SAT II as a 5 on AP, so I'd defiantly report your SAT IIs, they're your strongest scores in addition to your ACT. For APs I'm not sure, 3 is a pass, but they mostly want 4s and 5s, so its really up to you. I wouldn't omit the 4, and I think you can report only the scores you want to, but again I'm not sure, maybe they want you to report them all. You need three scores generally, and Law is A*AA, and they convert it like this (from that website):A*AA 555 AP650+ SAT II in each subject
You ACT score is amazing!! I am a student from the US as well, gonna apply to KCL for economics. I only have an "average" SAT score, since I am Chinese, so I kinda screwed the reading part. But for KCL, they only look at APs and SATs, I emailed them, they said they don't look at GPAs.

Are u takin any APs this year? you can ask your teachers for predicted scores!

Have u applied yet?
Reply 7
Original post by kathytheskater
You ACT score is amazing!! I am a student from the US as well, gonna apply to KCL for economics. I only have an "average" SAT score, since I am Chinese, so I kinda screwed the reading part. But for KCL, they only look at APs and SATs, I emailed them, they said they don't look at GPAs.

Are u takin any APs this year? you can ask your teachers for predicted scores!

Have u applied yet?

Thanks. (: No, I haven't applied yet. I don't know whether I should send AP scores too or just rely on my ACT/SAT-S to get me in...
Well i have no idea what those grades are :L
Original post by aakro
Thanks for the response! Really reassuring. (: So do you think I should omit (since they're mostly 3s) or include the AP scores? I can't imagine getting away with self reporting in the US. It's a bit weird that they allow it on UCAS too though. Couldn't someone just lie about their scores to increase their chances of getting in?

They will probably require some proof that you've got the grades/scores that you've self-reported at the start of the course. If you're accepted post-qualification (that is, after you've got your high school diploma and AP/SAT/ACT scores in hand), then they'll expect you to show the appropriate documentation. If it was easy to lie on UCAS, everybody would be doing it. :wink:

Original post by aakro
Thanks. (: No, I haven't applied yet. I don't know whether I should send AP scores too or just rely on my ACT/SAT-S to get me in...

If you apply through UCAS, you'll need to include the AP scores. It's not a choice; you're supposed to list all qualifications that you hold and omitting anything is considered an equivalent offence to lying about your grades/scores.
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
They will probably require some proof that you've got the grades/scores that you've self-reported at the start of the course. If you're accepted post-qualification (that is, after you've got your high school diploma and AP/SAT/ACT scores in hand), then they'll expect you to show the appropriate documentation. If it was easy to lie on UCAS, everybody would be doing it. :wink:

If you apply through UCAS, you'll need to include the AP scores. It's not a choice; you're supposed to list all qualifications that you hold and omitting anything is considered an equivalent offence to lying about your grades/scores.

Oh wow, didn't know that. Thank you for telling me though!!
Reply 11
Original post by Monarching
Ok just checked my offer letter:
"Please note that you may be required to present original documentation to confirm your academic, and if applicable, EnglishLanguage qualifications at enrollment."
I certainly wouldn't recommend lying about any qualifications, but they check just in case anyone might.
Check this website -
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/offices/north-america/usa/undergraduate.aspx
It has the entry requirement for USA undergrads. They seem to count 650 on the SAT II as a 5 on AP, so I'd defiantly report your SAT IIs, they're your strongest scores in addition to your ACT. For APs I'm not sure, 3 is a pass, but they mostly want 4s and 5s, so its really up to you. I wouldn't omit the 4, and I think you can report only the scores you want to, but again I'm not sure, maybe they want you to report them all. You need three scores generally, and Law is A*AA, and they convert it like this (from that website):A*AA 555 AP650+ SAT II in each subject

No, no. Of course I won't lie. It's totally out of the question. Now I'm thinking to just take a few more SAT II and get better scores. That would also mean I'd apply after the January 15th deadline. On UCAS, though, it says that's acceptable for international applicants. With a course as competitive as law, I don't know if I should risk applying late.....
Original post by aakro
No, no. Of course I won't lie. It's totally out of the question. Now I'm thinking to just take a few more SAT II and get better scores. That would also mean I'd apply after the January 15th deadline. On UCAS, though, it says that's acceptable for international applicants. With a course as competitive as law, I don't know if I should risk applying late.....

I once considered applying late, but then the uni isn't obligated to look at your application... So I would not risk it...

Wait.. It's mandatory to put ALL of our qualifications?? I got 450 on SAT math level 1 but 700 for math level 2...

It's taken on the same day.. if I report 700 for math 2 on UCAS, but then I send both on them (cuz it's taken on the same day, I have to send both), will it affect me?????
Reply 13
Yeah KCL is easy to get into.
Reply 14
Original post by Yael

That 13% acceptance rate would disagree.
Original post by Yael

For law, it's quite competitive.

Original post by aakro
That 13% acceptance rate would disagree.

This is a nonsense. KCL has a 13% acceptance rate, but Cambridge has a 20% acceptance rate? I think acceptance rate, in this context, refers to the percentage of the overall applicants who go onto take a place at the uni. It does not, I think, refer to the rate of offers as you think it does. Why KCL's is so low compared to Oxbridge is probably because many of the people who apply to KCL receive offers, but many likely receive offers from other higher ranked universities and end up taking places there. A better barometer for competitiveness is UCAS points upon entry.
Reply 16
Original post by callum_law
For law, it's quite competitive.

This is a nonsense. KCL has a 13% acceptance rate, but Cambridge has a 20% acceptance rate? I think acceptance rate, in this context, refers to the percentage of the overall applicants who go onto take a place at the uni. It does not, I think, refer to the rate of offers as you think it does. Why KCL's is so low compared to Oxbridge is probably because many of the people who apply to KCL receive offers, but many likely receive offers from other higher ranked universities and end up taking places there. A better barometer for competitiveness is UCAS points upon entry.

That's true. Actually KCL is right next to the Chancery Lane.

Yes 13% acceptance rate is a propaganda.
Reply 17
Original post by Yael
That's true. Actually KCL is right next to the Chancery Lane.

Yes 13% acceptance rate is a propaganda.

KCL isn't up there with UCL, LSE, etc because it's "easy".
Original post by aakro
KCL isn't up there with UCL, LSE, etc because it's "easy".

You're right. It isn't up there with UCL and LSE.
Reply 19
Original post by callum_law
You're right. It isn't up there with UCL and LSE.

All three are in the Russel Group category, notorious world-class universities distinguished, among other factors, for difficulty of admission. While I agree that 13% is a likely inaccurate stat for real acceptance rate, it doesn't make KCL an "easy" university as Yael claimed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest