The Student Room Group

Stuck on Science Revision

Hi all, this is my first post, but let me just get right into it.
So I'm struggling with my science revision, although I only do the double award which I started in yr9, the problem is my school didn't give us a stable teacher for Physics and Chemistry, resulting in my classmates and I not foccusing in lessons. I also started Biology last year in yr10 and the teacher I had quite frankly couldn't teach. So both in my year 10 mocks, and the mocks I just sat in November I've been getting Ds in my core science and a low C in additional science. So I'm stuck here on my Christmas break trying to consume the content for all Physics, Biology and Chemistry since yr9. This is taking up my time to revise for my other subjects, but I thought if I'm failing in science I should focus all of my attention on it. I understand how to revise for it along with learning the topics. But I'm worried I won't have enough time. I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone else who is in this position or has been in this position before, well if so, how did you go about it, is there a quicker effective way for me to learn all this content whilst balancing out my revision with all my other subjects? I've got pretty much half of P1, C1 & B1 to learn again, along with revising P2 & C2, and I haven't even started B2 in school yet.
Well I'm sorry for the awfully long post, but if anyone has bothered to read this I would appreciate your advise, and what I should do.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _Hafsa
So I'm struggling with my science revision, although I only do the double award which I started in yr9, the problem is my school didn't give us a stable teacher for Physics and Chemistry, resulting in my classmates and I not foccusing in lessons. I also started Biology last year in yr10 and the teacher I had quite frankly couldn't teach. So both in my year 10 mocks, and the mocks I just sat in November I've been getting Ds in my core science and a low C in additional science. So I'm stuck here on my Christmas break trying to consume the content for all Physics, Biology and Chemistry since yr9. This is taking up my time to revise for my other subjects, but I thought if I'm failing in science I should focus all of my attention on it. I understand how to revise for it along with learning the topics. But I'm worried I won't have enough time. I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone else who is in this position or has been in this position before, well if so, how did you go about it, is there a quicker effective way for me to learn all this content whilst balancing out my revision with all my other subjects? I've got pretty much half of P1, C1 & B1 to learn again, along with revising P2 & C2, and I haven't even started B2 in school yet.
Well I'm sorry for the awfully long post, but if anyone has bothered to read this I would appreciate your advise, and what I should do.
Thanks.

Mnemonics are your friend.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
Mnemonics are your friend.

Thanks for the suggestion! But If I'm still struggling to learn and consume the content, I don't think mnemonics will help me get through it 😞
What you need is a specification
Your textbook
A revision guide and some notes you can find online
Read the page from the textbook a few times- close write everything you remember and repeat
Watch YouTube videos
And do past papers
Flash cards may help
If you need help on anything specific feel free to pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm. I do understand as I regrettably decided not to listen for the whole of year 9 science which resulted in me having to work twice as hard to catch up in year 10. However, it is possible though I'm sorry I don't think I can say there is some magic trick that is going to help you consume all that content.
What you have to do is effectively memorize the core science revision guide. (The CGP one if you have it?) I wouldn't recommend it normally but in your case I would considering you are struggling for time. Go through it page by page, make notes, highlight whatever you do then try practice questions on that page.
This is what I believe is the quickest way though arguably not the most effective. I do have a friend though who just memorized the revision guide and and got a very high a*
Reply 5
CGP revision guide for your specification, it was good for me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by spiritless98
What you need is a specification
Your textbook
A revision guide and some notes you can find online
Read the page from the textbook a few times- close write everything you remember and repeat
Watch YouTube videos
And do past papers
Flash cards may help
If you need help on anything specific feel free to pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really appreciate the offer for help thanks! and yup most of what's on your list I already do, so I guess it's a matter of working a bit faster so I don't consume all my time on just science and not my other subjects
Reply 7
Original post by Azula
CGP revision guide for your specification, it was good for me :smile:

Yup, I've got that, thanks for the suggestion.
Original post by _Hafsa
Thanks.

I think you're doing well so far. I agree with everything that @spiritless98 has said. I really would recommend trying out all of that. I'd also like to add mind maps. When I revise, I like to just skim through each topic and do a mind map for each. This makes each topic very simple for me to understand and memorise instead of learning from all the information in the text book.
What I think is most important is testing this stuff out firt then you can use your preferred one for science, then your other subjects. I hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Questions27168
Hmm. I do understand as I regrettably decided not to listen for the whole of year 9 science which resulted in me having to work twice as hard to catch up in year 10. However, it is possible though I'm sorry I don't think I can say there is some magic trick that is going to help you consume all that content.
What you have to do is effectively memorize the core science revision guide. (The CGP one if you have it?) I wouldn't recommend it normally but in your case I would considering you are struggling for time. Go through it page by page, make notes, highlight whatever you do then try practice questions on that page.
This is what I believe is the quickest way though arguably not the most effective. I do have a friend though who just memorized the revision guide and and got a very high a*

Thank you!, stupidly I didn't even try and catch up in yr10. I toataly wish there was a magic trick :frown:
And yeah I'm doing all of that right now, thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it works out.
Reply 10
Original post by _Hafsa
Yup, I've got that, thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome :tongue:
I literally just copied out the revision guide and I did triple science lool
Reply 11
Original post by Matrix123
I think you're doing well so far. I agree with everything that @spiritless98 has said. I really would recommend trying out all of that. I'd also like to add mind maps. When I revise, I like to just skim through each topic and do a mind map for each. This makes each topic very simple for me to understand and memorise instead of learning from all the information in the text book.
What I think is most important is testing this stuff out firt then you can use your preferred one for science, then your other subjects. I hope that helps. :smile:

Yeah that sounds very useful, I use mind maps for History, where there is so much to memorise. Thanks for the advice! :u:
Reply 12
Original post by Azula
You're welcome :tongue:
I literally just copied out the revision guide and I did triple science lool

I better nuckle down then lol :h:
check the specification make flashcards on the spec done.
The best way to learn things is to make them memorable. For example, in P2 I made little comic strips on my revision cards with jokes to help me learn and remember the processes of nuclear fission and fusion. In fact, jokes help me learn anything!
I don't know about you, but powerpoints really help me learn - I like using interactive things such as videos, animations, memes and quizzes to help me learn.
Just try and think, what is it that makes you remember the plot of your favourite movie, book or game? And how you could implement that into your academic education.
Now that I'm doing A levels, I usually go through the textbook with my post-it notes prior to each lesson and note down any questions or topics to do further reading on. So it'd be good to write down questions and ask your teachers! Even if they aren't your class teacher, most science teachers (at least in my school) are happy to help.
In terms of balancing out your time, it may help to space out your learning and revision - perhaps do one or two tasks a day for science coupled with other revision for other subjects.
The website TES is really good for finding learning resources - there are tons of them for GCSE science - I would usually start a revision session using topic triangles that I'd have to rearrange as like a starter for B1 revision for example.
Good luck! Try not to get too overwhelmed! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by alevelstruggle12
check the specification make flashcards on the spec done.

Thanks, Hope it turns out as simple as it sounds!
Reply 16
Original post by alldaydreaming
The best way to learn things is to make them memorable. For example, in P2 I made little comic strips on my revision cards with jokes to help me learn and remember the processes of nuclear fission and fusion. In fact, jokes help me learn anything!
I don't know about you, but powerpoints really help me learn - I like using interactive things such as videos, animations, memes and quizzes to help me learn.
Just try and think, what is it that makes you remember the plot of your favourite movie, book or game? And how you could implement that into your academic education.
Now that I'm doing A levels, I usually go through the textbook with my post-it notes prior to each lesson and note down any questions or topics to do further reading on. So it'd be good to write down questions and ask your teachers! Even if they aren't your class teacher, most science teachers (at least in my school) are happy to help.
In terms of balancing out your time, it may help to space out your learning and revision - perhaps do one or two tasks a day for science coupled with other revision for other subjects.
The website TES is really good for finding learning resources - there are tons of them for GCSE science - I would usually start a revision session using topic triangles that I'd have to rearrange as like a starter for B1 revision for example.
Good luck! Try not to get too overwhelmed! :smile:

Thank you! The revision techniques sound very uselful and I'll be implementing that into my study sessions. And yup most teachers at my school seem ready to help. Thanks for the website I'll check that out now. And I'll try not get too stressed :biggrin:
Original post by _Hafsa
Yeah that sounds very useful, I use mind maps for History, where there is so much to memorise. Thanks for the advice! :u:

I'm glad that sounds useful to you. Yeah, I also use mind maps for History. It's amazing how much more simple everything is! You're very welcome. :h:
MYGCSESCIENCE MYGCSESCIENCE MYGCSESCIENCE
I was predicted a D for core science and ended up getting an A thanks to that website, best revision source I promise you
Go watch mygcsescience on youtube! he is amazing. I did the core this year and was predicted an E in the beginning, however in my biology mock after watching his videos i got an A*. (in my real exam i got an A overall!) highly recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest