The Student Room Group

Nose job?

Has anyone on here had rhinoplasty? I'm considering getting a nose job next year but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money and recovery time. Any advice would be appreciated :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A girl who I work had it done a year or so back and it does look good. She's not entirely happy but I think that's her overscrutinising because she'd always been self conscious about her nose, but it has made her look better. I remember she said she freaked out when she was reading stuff online before the op because people are disproportionately likely to write online if they are one of the ones who has had a bad experience. So always bear that in mind if you are doing online research. She was off work for a few weeks and said the recovery was pretty rough for a bit but you just have to look at it as a few weeks out of your life and beyond that you have the rest of your life to enjoy your new nose.

And I think general good advice is don't overscrutinise your nose just look at your face as a whole (like most people do) rather than always focusing on it because if you overfocus you get a distorted image compared to how everyone else sees you and that can lead you to be never happy even if you have a nose job. It's the same with all sorts of things - people that have their teeth crowned can end up looking miles better than before but if they are micro-scrutinising they end up finding faults and being unhappy.
Reply 2
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A girl who I work had it done a year or so back and it does look good. She's not entirely happy but I think that's her overscrutinising because she'd always been self conscious about her nose, but it has made her look better. I remember she said she freaked out when she was reading stuff online before the op because people are disproportionately likely to write online if they are one of the ones who has had a bad experience. So always bear that in mind if you are doing online research. She was off work for a few weeks and said the recovery was pretty rough for a bit but you just have to look at it as a few weeks out of your life and beyond that you have the rest of your life to enjoy your new nose.

And I think general good advice is don't overscrutinise your nose just look at your face as a whole (like most people do) rather than always focusing on it because if you overfocus you get a distorted image compared to how everyone else sees you and that can lead you to be never happy even if you have a nose job. It's the same with all sorts of things - people that have their teeth crowned can end up looking miles better than before but if they are micro-scrutinising they end up finding faults and being unhappy.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I am kind of worried that I won't be happy but it's not something I've obsessed over, I think I'll only get it done if I have to have septoplasty anyway, thanks again!
I used to want rhinoplasty but decided it's not worth the money. Money I didn't have.
Reply 4
Omg finally I have found someone else wanting a nose job. I am only 18 but I'm on a gap year and I'm trying to earn money this year to get it done before uni. I'm really nervous about getting it and how my parents may react and stuff. Message me if u want it would be great to have someone to talk about it with and support eachother. I have researched it thoroughly and considered it very carefully for a long time now :smile: x
Original post by may_1
Omg finally I have found someone else wanting a nose job.

Well, you've technically known me for some months now. :rolleyes: :wink:
I want one too, I think I'd look better with one.

I want my nasal hump removed so my nose looks straight from the side, and I want my nose 'moved' as I think it's slanted to the left a bit.
Reply 7
Original post by Pharmaholic
I used to want rhinoplasty but decided it's not worth the money. Money I didn't have.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it does seem like a lot, I definitely don't have the money right now either lol just whistful thinking haha
Reply 8
Yeah I wanna get a nose job too in the near future.
I asked a friend of mine who got it done
She was thrilled with it but recovery sucked. And honestly, it's a pretty subtle difference between the new nose and the old one. For the record, she didn't go in expecting a rhinoplasty to dramatically change the look of her face and was pretty realistic about what specific aspects of her nose she didn't like.
Hey,

I had a rhinoplasty procedure in the summer of 2014. It was performed by a Harley Street surgeon, and cost around £6,500. I had a follow up 'revision' surgery in 2015 - this was to correct a few little things. That cost £2,100, it was just the hospital fee and the anaesthesia. So, in total it was close to £10,000.

My nose was a source of insecurity for me, I hated it so much. I had a deviated septum which made my nose appear crooked somewhat and it affected my confidence so much that I had to get it fixed. I saved up for a few years and had it done.

Was it worth it? Yes, it is the best decision I have made, it's changed my life for the better. You have to find the right surgeon for you, though. Don't listen to people who say 'it isn't worth the money, you'll get over your nose!!' as that is utter nonsense. If it's genuinely affecting your standard of living, you should most definitely do it.

The worst thing was the recovery as it takes well over a year for your nose to fully settle down. It will look swollen and piggy like for the first six months. So, you have to be patient once you have your cast off.
Original post by may_1
Omg finally I have found someone else wanting a nose job. I am only 18 but I'm on a gap year and I'm trying to earn money this year to get it done before uni. I'm really nervous about getting it and how my parents may react and stuff. Message me if u want it would be great to have someone to talk about it with and support eachother. I have researched it thoroughly and considered it very carefully for a long time now :smile: x

Ah cool! I'm 19 :smile: I've been thinking about it for a while now, I totally get what you mean about the money though, I've talked to my parents and they're kind of against it but we'll see. Absolutely message me, it is a scary thing to do tbh, even trying to convince your family lol
Original post by Strawberry68
I want one too, I think I'd look better with one.

I want my nasal hump removed so my nose looks straight from the side, and I want my nose 'moved' as I think it's slanted to the left a bit.

Well I'm sure you look great regardless but I have a bump on mine too so I get what you mean, I tend to really notice it as I pass a mirror and it does make me self conscious tbh thanks for your reply! :biggrin:
Original post by Blondie987
Ah cool! I'm 19 :smile: I've been thinking about it for a while now, I totally get what you mean about the money though, I've talked to my parents and they're kind of against it but we'll see. Absolutely message me, it is a scary thing to do tbh, even trying to convince your family lol

If you require a septoplasty, as you've stated above, and your parents don't happen to be ENT surgeons, just tell them that you're getting a septoplasty and that any changes are the unintended consequences of that purely functional surgery. :colone:

Of course, that would only work if you're comfortable lying to your parents and if the changes are subtle enough. :rofl:
Original post by ivy.98
Yeah I wanna get a nose job too in the near future.
I asked a friend of mine who got it done
She was thrilled with it but recovery sucked. And honestly, it's a pretty subtle difference between the new nose and the old one. For the record, she didn't go in expecting a rhinoplasty to dramatically change the look of her face and was pretty realistic about what specific aspects of her nose she didn't like.

Hey! Thanks for your reply, yeah that's another thing I'm worried about, apparently the swelling doesn't go down for ages and I won't be able to take much time off work if I'm gonna pay for it lol I think I'm pretty realistic but I'd really like to get a consultation anyway just to see what they can do :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I had a rhinoplasty procedure in the summer of 2014. It was performed by a Harley Street surgeon, and cost around £6,500. I had a follow up 'revision' surgery in 2015 - this was to correct a few little things. That cost £2,100, it was just the hospital fee and the anaesthesia. So, in total it was close to £10,000.

My nose was a source of insecurity for me, I hated it so much. I had a deviated septum which made my nose appear crooked somewhat and it affected my confidence so much that I had to get it fixed. I saved up for a few years and had it done.

Was it worth it? Yes, it is the best decision I have made, it's changed my life for the better. You have to find the right surgeon for you, though. Don't listen to people who say 'it isn't worth the money, you'll get over your nose!!' as that is utter nonsense. If it's genuinely affecting your standard of living, you should most definitely do it.

The worst thing was the recovery as it takes well over a year for your nose to fully settle down. It will look swollen and piggy like for the first six months. So, you have to be patient once you have your cast off.

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear you're happy with your surgery and it all went well :biggrin: I think I may have a deviated septum too as I've always had trouble breathing through my nose and it is a little crooked, that could be me overanalysing but i guess it would be best to speak to a consultant, thanks for mentioning the costs too, it's more than I would have thought tbh but that was really useful :h:
Original post by Hydeman
If you require a septoplasty, as you've stated above, and your parents don't happen to be ENT surgeons, just tell them that you're getting a septoplasty and that any changes are the unintended consequences of that purely functional surgery. :colone:

Of course, that would only work if you're comfortable lying to your parents and if the changes are subtle enough. :rofl:

Haha, we'll see, I'd probably let slip though I'm terrible at lying, thanks for your reply! :biggrin:
10k for some changes to my nose , no thanks ^^ . However , if it makes you feel better , go for it.
Original post by Blondie987
Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear you're happy with your surgery and it all went well :biggrin: I think I may have a deviated septum too as I've always had trouble breathing through my nose and it is a little crooked, that could be me overanalysing but i guess it would be best to speak to a consultant, thanks for mentioning the costs too, it's more than I would have thought tbh but that was really useful :h:

Glad it was useful!

A piece of advice; please, please do not get a rhinoplasty from an ENT surgeon on the NHS If your main reason for the procedure is aesthetics. Do some research on surgeons from around the world and book a consultation.
My nose is godly.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
10k for some changes to my nose , no thanks ^^ . However , if it makes you feel better , go for it.

You're right, it is a lot of money, and if you're not prepared to spend it, you shouldn't go through with it. Thankfully money isn't that much of an issue for me and I was able to go through with it without much regret haha

But rhinoplasty procedures are a lot cheaper abroad (US) and they are highly regarded surgeons. But I felt it was more convenient that I have it done at home, in the UK. That's just me, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending