The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

United XI: De Gea, Young, Smalling, Jones, Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini, Memphis, Martial #mufc
United subs: Romero, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair, Varela, Pereira, Schneiderlin, Rooney #mufc

Hmm.

- No youth in back line
- Herrera starting
- Rooney dropped

Maybe some changes are being made after all :curious:

From the way it's written down, i don't think it will be a Fellaini-Carrick midfield as Hayles suggested, but;

DDG
Young - Smalling - Jones - Blind
Herrera - Carrick
Mata - Fellaini - Memphis
Martial
(edited 8 years ago)
That line up is quite similar to the one we had last season on that run. Let's see if it bears the same results
Na it's probably going to be a 4-1-4-1. Fellaini on the left cm position pushing up like a second striker, Carrick as the sole DM, Herrera pushing up. Similar to the formation that was used in the second half of last season(that got you into that very good run of form).

Original post by Mo De Lemone
That line up is quite similar to the one we had last season on that run. Let's see if it bears the same results
Yeah. Depay in Youngs role, Martial playing instead of Rooney.
Finally, we're going back to what worked last season.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Finally, we're going back to what worked last season.

No idea why it took us this long to try this -__-

Would prefer Schneiderlin to Fellani though :colondollar:
Pleasantly surprised to see that rooney has been dropped.
Would have been nice to see Schneiderlin in for fellani.
Definetly more hopeful for a win after looking at that line up
Original post by hayles101
I am in the kitchen. Carving a big **** off knife. So behave.

Scenes. Van Gaal actually answers the question posed in here two months ago. Rooney or his job?

Rooney dropped today. (Although a Carrick Fellaini midfield the tube).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hayley please. Are you threatening me?
I know I'm a terrible Liverpool fan but that's not very nice, even for an evil blondie girl...

Scenes when you get tactics right for once but still lose :wink:
What formation is it? Hererra and mata need to have good games today,i fear thy need to impress lvg
Original post by trapking
No idea why it took us this long to try this -__-

Would prefer Schneiderlin to Fellani though :colondollar:

Schneiderlin is more defensive than Fellaini and makes little sense in this system. He's not got the ball playing ability of Carrick, he's not got the dynamism of Herrera and he doesn't have the aerial prowess of Fellaini(who was quite important in this system as he and Young used to overload the left).

He's chosen a good team for once. People can't really complain about his team selection today.

Original post by scrawlx101
What formation is it? Hererra and mata need to have good games today,i fear thy need to impress lvg
Most likely a 4-1-4-1 that changes to a 4-4-2 when Fellaini joins the attack.
Reply 909
Rooney is on the ****ing bench!!! Van ghaal must be genuinely scared of getting sacked
Original post by xKay
Rooney is on the ****ing bench!!! Van ghaal must be genuinely scared of getting sacked

Hahahaha its his christmas present to the fans :rofl:
Reply 911
Original post by xKay

Nah then Fellaini wouldn't be playing. He's probably saving Rooney for Chelsea.
About time in regards to Rooney being on the bench. Not sure the return to the formation of success last season is the time to try it now away vs Stoke in a must win game but think the performance might be better but the result not so good!
Hilarious that Rooney is dropped especially after he came out and defended LVG on his own accord.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roo to be the supersub
I can see it now, dropping Rooney and adding Herrera would provide more attacking play and a performance that looks well..deep down though - nothing has changed and if we win here it won't mean **** like everyone is saying..
Reply 916
Original post by The_Stig
I can see it now, dropping Rooney and adding Herrera would provide more attacking play and a performance that looks well..deep down though - nothing has changed and if we win here it won't mean **** like everyone is saying..

why not
LVG: "It was better to play Ander Herrera instead of Wayne Rooney. It is a tactical decision. I don't think it is to take drastic measures, it is to do with my gameplan."

So now he sees that Herrera > Rooney. After all this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xKay
why not

LvG doesn't strike me as the type of man to give up on his beliefs, he has experienced this at other clubs before when they hated him and didn't budge on his tactics - it got him results in the end though so he could justify it. Here, I'm not so sure - although Rooney has probably hampered our performances.. I don't think he has been a huge factor in our poor form this season
Opening 10 minutes 52% pass success rate.... embarrasing.

Latest