The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nineteenone
me too, speaking is the worsstttttt

my other exam subject is geography and ive chosen french geography biology and english lit, but i think im gonna change english lit..

how about you??

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French with Maths as my other exam subject

what would you change English Lit to?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French with Maths as my other exam subject

what would you change English Lit to?

whoa good luck with ur subjects :O

i think i might change english lit to chemistry or maybe PTE.... it depends on if i actually get accepted haha
Hey I'm a current student and I'm happy to take any questions you may (or may not) have XD my subjects are: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French. My entrance exams were on all of them and my interview was in maths.
Original post by AtomicAJ
Hey I'm a current student and I'm happy to take any questions you may (or may not) have XD my subjects are: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French. My entrance exams were on all of them and my interview was in maths.

Hey how did you find the maths admissions test and also how did you prepare for it? :smile:

How hard do you find French right now and do you have to do loads of essays?

Also what was the maths interview like?
Reply 1125

Hi, could you give some insight and tips on the Chemistry entrance exam please :biggrin:? Oh and as Vanilla Cupcake also asked, how was the Maths interview?

Thanks
Original post by R2-D2
Hi, could you give some insight and tips on the Chemistry entrance exam please :biggrin:? Oh and as Vanilla Cupcake also asked, how was the Maths interview?

Thanks

Hey, I did the chemistry entrance exam and tbh it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just go over GCSE content and it will be alright.

For the maths interview; it really depends on who interviews you. I got a really nice teacher and it felt more like a conversation rather than an interview. He did ask me to prove the sine and cosine rule which was alright, but he gave me the choice on what I wanted to be interviewed in and being the maths geek that I am trigonometry was the first thing that popped into my head, but in general you have nothing to be worried about.

Some people didn't even do the exam/interview, they just brought their results on results day and enrolled, so I guess that could be an option
Thought I might feed in,

I'm applying to start next year and am hoping to study French, History, Biology and PTE. The exams I'm doing are French and Biology and It think the best way to revise is probably to cover all that you've covered on your respective courses and come in on the day feeling ready to use your brain. I think the exams are more to test your common sense and ability to come to conclusions and so on, not so much what you know.

Hey I'm doing maths as an entrance exam
Is the maths test hard once you get over the logic based part of it and what topic were most of the questions based on?

How are you finding the school?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
How hard do you find French right now and do you have to do loads of essays?

Also what was the maths interview like?

I am finding French so so.. many people have dropped it and moved to another subject, I think it was the most dropped-out-of subject. Once a week we have to do an essay for homework and learn a lot of vocab for a vocab test. As someone who is half French and never had French lessons at secondary school ( I did Spanish, French was done as a home language so I just turned up for the exam), I was struggling with writing and grammar however I am picking it up quite quickly. I would say to prepare you should brush up on grammar and writing/vocab.

My maths interview was horrific XD I was so nervous that when he (I had the head teacher of all people) asked me what half of 1 was I said 5 instead of 0.5 *sigh of embarassement*. I honestly think my entrance exams saved me. He had a piece of paper, folded it in a certain way and asked me to work out the angles without giving me any. He helps you when you get stuck
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by amarocks88
Hey I'm doing maths as an entrance exam
Is the maths test hard once you get over the logic based part of it and what topic were most of the questions based on?

How are you finding the school?

Hey, the maths exam was by far my favourite. I was able to answer all of the questions confidently apart from the last one which I answered but I'm unsure whether I got full marks on it or not. However this is coming from someone who got A* in my maths GCSE. Other people found it difficult whilst others found it really good so I guess it depends on the person. It was basically like a GCSE exam tbh, if you can do past papers and get an A* then I don't think you'll have much trouble. I can't remember which topics but it was varied, like a gcse exam would be. I remember shapes angles and algebra (ofc) though.

At first I didn't like the school.. partly to do with the fact that I have social anxiety. I found it hard to talk to certain people and say hello. I also felt sort of dumb because everyone around me seemed to have gotten amazing GCSEs. Now things are better, I talk to more people and I'm a bit more confident. I dislike one of my French teachers, like REALLY dislike her, but others like her so I won't cloud your judgement (if you do French). A lot of people dislike a further maths teacher because she can come across as unnecessarily rude. Mr Handscombe is really passionate about everything, he's made efforts to learn everyone's name which is nice. He always asks us how we are etc.
Original post by R2-D2

Thanks

I did terribly in the chemistry exam, I answered only a handful of questions. Though if I were to do it again I would have done much better because I didn't revise enough for it.. last year we had to do entrance exams on all four topics rather than choosing two and as I wasn't expecting to go to the school I skipped it. Then by chance a month or so later they said they were doing a second one for those who didn't come to the first and my dad forced me to go so I did and as a result I only had a short time to revise- I chose to focus on maths and biology. Tips would be to revise GCSE chemistry, the parts that you're not as good at because anything can be on the test. From last year I remember calculations and the empirical formula

My maths interview was horrific XD I was so nervous that when he (I had the head teacher of all people) asked me what half of 1 was I said 5 instead of 0.5 *sigh of embarassement*. I honestly think my entrance exams saved me. He had a piece of paper, folded it in a certain way and asked me to work out the angles without giving me any. He helps you when you get stuck
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kennethdcharles
Hey how did you find the maths admissions test and also how did you prepare for it? :smile:

Hey, the maths exam was by far my best exam. I was able to answer all of the questions confidently apart from the last one which I answered but I'm unsure whether I got full marks on it or not. Note that this is coming from someone who got A* in my maths GCSE so it depends on how you are doing in maths. Other people found it difficult whilst others found it really good. It was basically like a GCSE exam tbh, if you can do past papers and get an A* then I don't think you'll have much trouble. I can't remember which topics but it was varied, like a gcse exam would be. I remember shapes angles and algebra (ofc) though. To prepare I did past papers (focus on the back questions as well which generally seem to be the hardest, but don't focus entirely on it)
Hey, the maths exam was by far my best exam. I was able to answer all of the questions confidently apart from the last one which I answered but I'm unsure whether I got full marks on it or not. Note that this is coming from someone who got A* in my maths GCSE so it depends on how you are doing in maths. Other people found it difficult whilst others found it really good. It was basically like a GCSE exam tbh, if you can do past papers and get an A* then I don't think you'll have much trouble. I can't remember which topics but it was varied, like a gcse exam would be. I remember shapes angles and algebra (ofc) though. To prepare I did past papers (focus on the back questions as well which generally seem to be the hardest, but don't focus entirely on it)

I'm god awful at Maths 😷. I'm quite marvellous at French though 👼.

Hey thank you very much. Just to clarify, I've heard that the entrance exams were somewhat like those ukmt maths challenge questions; would you disagree with that and say that it's simply like a gcse paper? Sorry for disturbing, I'm just fairly anxious. However I should say that I did get an A* in my GCSE mock, therefore I am a confident mathematician for my age:colondollar:
Original post by kamranali
I'm god awful at Maths 😷. I'm quite marvellous at French though 👼.

Haha I'm sure you'll do fine, sorry my wording made it seem like if you're not getting A*'s in past papers then you won't do well in the entrance exam, what I meant was the questions shouldn't be as difficult as the back questions. But you never know, maybe they changed it this year :3 Good luck!
Thanks so much that really helped.

Do you get used to going to school on a Saturday what's that like?
Original post by kennethdcharles
Hey thank you very much. Just to clarify, I've heard that the entrance exams were somewhat like those ukmt maths challenge questions; would you disagree with that and say that it's simply like a gcse paper? Sorry for disturbing, I'm just fairly anxious. However I should say that I did get an A* in my GCSE mock, therefore I am a confident mathematician for my age:colondollar:

No problem :smile: Hmm from what I remember it was simply like a gcse paper but they could change it this year :3 No worries aha, in that case I have no doubt that you will do well ^.^ What subjects are you planning on taking?
No problem :smile: Hmm from what I remember it was simply like a gcse paper but they could change it this year :3 No worries aha, in that case I have no doubt that you will do well ^.^ What subjects are you planning on taking?

Alright cheers! :smile: I'm taking Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry with exams in Maths and Physics :colondollar:
Original post by amarocks88
Thanks so much that really helped.

Do you get used to going to school on a Saturday what's that like?

No problem :smile: Ngl, I hate Saturday school with a passion but you do get used to it because in a way your sleeping pattern changes (well mine does anyway) so getting up early isn't as hard. You should probably set an alarm though just in case. We do get exeats at least once every half term which is nice :biggrin: (when you don't have Saturday school) and we get an extra week of holidays (this Christmas we have three). When I went to the induction day this girl was like "saturday school is my favourite day of the week", I think she's the only one that feels this way XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending