The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chelsea drew at the bridge to a newly promoted side & Man Utd dropped out of the Top 4, Arsenal got peppered but I'd say it could've been much worse. That victory against City & Leicester dropping points really fell nicely for the gunners.
Original post by AR_95
Except we've just won it.

So basically you've summed up why Wenger should have retired already.

Yeah, but I've been on your side of that debate for years.
Original post by LΓΊcio
with a superior GD I might add. I'd take a 4-0 embarrassment to be where you are.

In comparison to Liverpool? Maybe. But our +17 took a massive beating tonight to make it +13. Does not help matters at all, especially when City and Spurs thumped their opposition today.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Yeah it was, that doesn't change :u: x And good for you! :congrats:

Can't handle the banter
Original post by LΓΊcio
Yeah I understand that - we all do it and you aren't the only one.
How do you think i've been feeling seeing us beat Chelsea/City/Leicester only to lose to Watford/Palace/Newcastle?

I look back at the year we bottled the league and think to myself "what if Toure didn't gift WBA the ball and lose us 2 points that day?" or "what if we could hold a 3 goal lead against Palace?".
Football is crazy and every so often you have a terrible, terrible day.
However when all is said and done, you picked up the same amount of points as Leicester today. If you don't let this get to you, you're fine.

All things considered, you're 2nd place and 2 points off the pace after 18 games, with a superior GD I might add. I'd take a 4-0 embarrassment to be where you are.

The problem with looking at just '18 games' is that it neglects the future schedule.

We've got City, United, Liverpool, Spurs and Stoke away in the second half of the season. We really, really could have benefited from not giving up ****ing stupid points in the first half.
If Carlsberg did Boxing Days :yeah:
Wow this guy just said Southampton weren't better than us. Our fanbase is deluded. I'm done.
Two dreadful performances in two calendar years for you lot at St. Mary's. At least last season there was a bit of context, with Southampton flying up in the top six after a really strong start to the season.

Had all your lads been on the ale last night?
In comparison to Liverpool? Maybe. But our +17 took a massive beating tonight to make it +13. Does not help matters at all, especially when City and Spurs thumped their opposition today.

Leicester are still only on +12 - thats what I mean.
If they manage a draw vs City, you can still go back top with a win.

Like I said, it's only one game.
Your collapse isn't due for another few months so don't worry just yet.

Original post by Reluire
Nice to see Wanyama render Ozil useless. Lifeless play from Arsenal tonight - and they rightly paid the price.

Didn't see the game but it sounds like Soton got things spot on by focusing on Ozil.
You have some quality players but he's your main source of creativity. We got the same thing with Gerrard back in the Torres era.

Original post by dairychocolate
The problem with looking at just '18 games' is that it neglects the future schedule.

We've got City, United, Liverpool, Spurs and Stoke away in the second half of the season. We really, really could have benefited from not giving up ****ing stupid points in the first half.

True but I think the whole point is that you've played every team, regardless of whether it was home or away.
Look at Liverpool - our home form is pretty dire but we're one of the best teams in the league in away matches.

The meltdown is funny but it's totally unfounded based on a sample size of a single game...
Reply 2009
Original post by dairychocolate

exactly
Alright alright, please someone, just deep this with me yeah.

Their starting XL had Shane Long in it, the aim would be to try and get him in behind the defence with long balls using his pace, direct balls won't work well unless Pelle is playing. So logically, we'd sit deeper right? Lol nah, instead we push up a high line with Mertasacker and Flamini. How you gonna work a high line against an opposition who's aim it is to put in through balls for long???

ARE YOU BLUFFING? LIKE ARE YOU ACTUALLY OKAY?
She mad
Original post by LΓΊcio

True but I think the whole point is that you've played every team, regardless of whether it was home or away.Look at Liverpool - our home form is pretty dire but we're one of the best teams in the league in away matches.

Yeah but playing away does make a difference. Liverpool, Spurs and Stoke never beat us at the Emirates but they're perfectly capable of doing it on their grounds.

The meltdown is funny but it's totally unfounded based on a sample size of a single game...

Not really a meltdown, just consistent mediocrity, largely caused by recurring issues (injuries, for example) that haven't been sorted out.
Alright alright, please someone, just deep this with me yeah.Their starting XL had Shane Long in it, the aim would be to try and get him in behind the defence with long balls using his pace, direct balls won't work well unless Pelle is playing. So logically, we'd sit deeper right? Lol nah, instead we push up a high line with Mertasacker and Flamini. How you gonna work a high line against an opposition who's aim it is to put in through balls for long???ARE YOU BLUFFING? LIKE ARE YOU ACTUALLY OKAY?
Tactics aren't that simple.
dayumn Lyrical on some heated sauce :lol:
Original post by AR_95
It's not one game though cause it's not the first 3 points we've dropped. As LP has said, it's the 5th time we've failed to capitalise on results and fail to go top. This is an under performance. Regardless of Sanchez and Coq being out, we have more than enough to dispose of Southampton and if we want to win the title then we really can't excuse these dip in forms so often anymore.

Spoiler

I completely get your point and the performance was beyond horrific, but everyone is losing unexpectedly. We are still in a great position; 2 off top and now 1 ahead of City (Exactly where we were 2 games ago).
Alright alright, please someone, just deep this with me yeah.

Their starting XL had Shane Long in it, the aim would be to try and get him in behind the defence with long balls using his pace, direct balls won't work well unless Pelle is playing. So logically, we'd sit deeper right? Lol nah, instead we push up a high line with Mertasacker and Flamini. How you gonna work a high line against an opposition who's aim it is to put in through balls for long???

ARE YOU BLUFFING? LIKE ARE YOU ACTUALLY OKAY?

Deshi? Is that you?
Original post by LΓΊcio
Didn't see the game but it sounds like Soton got things spot on by focusing on Ozil.
You have some quality players but he's your main source of creativity. We got the same thing with Gerrard back in the Torres era.

I watched the whole game and Ozil barely got a chance. Giroud was given no support whatsoever and never got a decent shot on goal. And the defence speaks for itself.
Someone just said to me "Coutinho is what Arsenal fans pretend Ozil is".

Tbf tonight, Ozil did play like Coutinho usually does so hey ho.
Reply 2018
Someone just said to me "Coutinho is what Arsenal fans pretend Ozil is".

Tbf tonight, Ozil did play like Coutinho usually does so hey ho.

banterrrrrrrrr

SR would rather have Fellaini in the squad then Ozil anyway
Wenger post-match/mortem.

(edited 8 years ago)

Latest