The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
I actually think a lot of it will have to do with how SA deal with spin. You've got to say, on the face of it at least, England have the potential to cause more problems for SA than vice versa with Moeen getting some turn. This pitch looks to be a spinner's friend, too.

Yeah, it's odd. Especially given the fact the Windies have faced Australia just a few months ago, and toured down under half a decade ago. You'd have thought that the fans would have responded better to an elongated tour against NZ, rather than Australia facing them for two Tests before heading over to their backyard before the World Twenty20.

Windies haven't won a Test against Australia for almost a quarter of a century. Such a shame to see a great cricketing nation in dire straits.

Spin will play a part, for sure. Especially with SA batting last, but how England do tomorrow morning will be vital. I am still not sure about Moeen as a test bowler though, he has done well in England but when he has played away from home, he hasn't done so well. A good start to the series, either way.

Agreed, it is strange. I think the reason why is because it's the start of NZ's home season.

I am confident that with the right team and management, WI can become a good team again, but it will take a couple years at least.
Reply 341
Unless there is a complete makeover at the WICB, this downward spiral will just continue and continue for Windies cricket.

The slide that has been happening over recent years is seemingly never-ending, and the players' mentalities aren't helping. They gave up yesterday, once Khawaja and Burns had cemented themselves at the crease. Dropped catches, fumbles, toothless bowling devoid of imagination and ideas.

This is basically batting practice for Australia, let's be honest. The only thing the Windies will win in Australia any time soon is the toss.
Reply 342
From 247-5 to 267-9. A feeble effort from the England tail.
Reply 343
Original post by Mackay
From 247-5 to 267-9. A feeble effort from the England tail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Broad and finn making that push for 300, which is still a good total here.
When did Steyn become so pedestrian? Used to seeing him around 140-145kph, but down at around 130 during this test.
Reply 345
Original post by The Wavefunction
When did Steyn become so pedestrian? Used to seeing him around 140-145kph, but down at around 130 during this test.

Steyn average speed on day one: 82.96 mph
Steyn average speed on day two: 78.17 mph

He was in such a rich vein of form yesterday, kicking off with three maidens, including a wicket maiden. Today, though, he has gone for between four and six runs per over, every single over. I wonder if his injury is rearing its head again.
Original post by Mackay
Steyn average speed on day one: 82.96 mph
Steyn average speed on day two: 78.17 mph

He was in such a rich vein of form yesterday, kicking off with three maidens, including a wicket maiden. Today, though, he has gone for between four and six runs per over, every single over. I wonder if his injury is rearing its head again.

I don't care how accurate he bowls, 78mph won't get him much success in test cricket. 83mph is just about quick enough providing he's accurate and moving the ball.

Could also be his age catching up with him. 32 now and been playing for 10+ years I believe. Probably a combination of both.

Hopefully he gets back up to his normal pace, give or take, as he gets back into things.
Reply 347
I don't care how accurate he bowls, 78mph won't get him much success in test cricket. 83mph is just about quick enough providing he's accurate and moving the ball.

Could also be his age catching up with him. 32 now and been playing for 10+ years I believe. Probably a combination of both.

Hopefully he gets back up to his normal pace, give or take, as he gets back into things.

We saw that with the ease Bairstow was playing him with. He was knocking the ball off quite comfortably. Steyn looks like he's picked up a knock to be honest. It may be his legs and age, but I'm unconvinced. He merely looks like he's playing in the knowledge that his joints/muscles aren't quite right.

Besides, he managed to pick up 4-70 without any kind of rhythm. Only the likes of Steyn can manage to do that.
Reply 348
That is a dreadful leave from van Zyl. He completely lost his off stump there, and Broad strikes early. A great start from the England bowlers. Traditionally, day two in Durban is seen as the 'moving day', with ten wickets on average. We're seven down with four hours left of play. It's certainly living up to that reputation.
Yasir Shah ffs :sigh:
Christ. Just checked the Aus v WI scorecard. Absolutely pathetic effort from the West Indies, they should be ashamed. I reckon Ireland and Afghanistan would do them over at the moment.

Can you be demoted from playing test cricket?
Couple of fun facts..

Adam Voges averages over 500 against the West Indies.

The 35 run stand for the West Indies opening partnership was their highest that they've put on all year.

The 35 run stand for the West Indies opening partnership was their highest that they've put on all year.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak

but yasir shah has shot himself in the foot big time - hopefully banned for wt20 for when india play pakistan looool make them play a crap spinner haha
Couple of fun facts..

Adam Voges averages over 500 against the West Indies.

Voges is a good player, it's just that England tortured him in the summer, just like that did to all the other aussies.

Anyway SA vs ENG should be a good series #proteafire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 354
Christ. Just checked the Aus v WI scorecard. Absolutely pathetic effort from the West Indies, they should be ashamed. I reckon Ireland and Afghanistan would do them over at the moment.

Can you be demoted from playing test cricket?

It's ridiculous. Minor counties would be putting up a better fight right now.

Original post by Louis.
Yasir Shah ffs :sigh:

At least it's diuretics and nothing more sinister.

Shades of Warne back in 2003. Remember he did the same, and was banned? He said he took them for his mother, who wanted him to lose weight. Ha!
Yasir Shah?! Why?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even though the scoreboard is looking pretty good, I would've loved to see Amla in form. Excellent player, hasn't really batted well since recieving captaincy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 357
Original post by Enginerd.
Even though the scoreboard is looking pretty good, I would've loved to see Amla in form. Excellent player, hasn't really batted well since recieving captaincy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as they need replacements for Smith and Kallis, I think that Amla's captaincy is a much greater and more pressing concern for SA right now. Replacing such legendary figures will never happen until somebody naturally comes to the fore, you can't rush those things.

SA should be concerned with Amla's captaincy, which is a pale imitation of the former's.
Original post by Mackay
As much as they need replacements for Smith and Kallis, I think that Amla's captaincy is a much greater and more pressing concern for SA right now. Replacing such legendary figures will never happen until somebody naturally comes to the fore, you can't rush those things.

SA should be concerned with Amla's captaincy, which is a pale imitation of the former's.

Agreed.

Regarding Yasir, I've read he was injured just before being tested so maybe he was given it by the team doctor to speed up the recovery process? Not quite sure and hopefully it's nothing too serious. Should've known better tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shameful display by WI, but you don't really expect anything else.

Amla is showing how hard it is to get yourself into some good form after being in a bad patch for a while. He is more than good enough to get himself out, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest