The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
This is excellent bowling from broad. No need for Anderson at all here. It's just a real shame there's no spinner to contain runs, moeen going at 6 an over and bowling so many loose deliveries.
Moeen looking promising in the warm ups but leaking runs here, the big fish is gone though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Broad seems to love the responsibility when Anderson's not around, but we really need someone to support him. Woakes is bringing an element of control, which I think is what he's in the side to do, but we need Finn and/or Stokes to chip with in with a few and we're right on top.
Reply 363

That's the thing with Amla: his captaincy. He's not a bad player, obviously. He isn't cut out to be captain, though. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Great captains are born, not made.

Plenty of the best players through history have been poor captains, or not captains at whatsoever. He should relinquish the duty, but the issue is there is such a dearth of other candidates. If I was in the SA set-up, I'd be absolutely embarrassed by talk of Smith returning. That's needless.
Original post by Mackay
That's the thing with Amla: his captaincy. He's not a bad player, obviously. He isn't cut out to be captain, though. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Great captains are born, not made.

Plenty of the best players through history have been poor captains, or not captains at whatsoever. He should relinquish the duty, but the issue is there is such a dearth of other candidates. If I was in the SA set-up, I'd be absolutely embarrassed by talk of Smith returning. That's needless.

Maybe give up the captaincy to Faf or AB and just concentrate on regaining form, SA are good but great when he's in form, he's an integral part of the team. If Root was to captain the England team one day hopefully he doesn't find himself in the same situation as Amla.
Reply 365
Original post by Enginerd.
Maybe give up the captaincy to Faf or AB and just concentrate on regaining form, SA are good but great when he's in form, he's an integral part of the team. If Root was to captain the England team one day hopefully he doesn't find himself in the same situation as Amla.

Good point. A very good point, actually.

I feel Root boasts a bigger reputation for being 'one of the lads' compared to Amla, though, and will (hopefully) get his players to buy into his personality and quality.

I just hope Root doesn't shrink into a shell. He and Taylor are so diminutive, in terms of physical presence and stature at least, that I hope it doesn't make him seem weak to the press and opposition.

Root is a wonderful lad, by all accounts, and always strikes me as extremely mature, cheeky and infectious whenever he's at the crease or in front of the camera.

He is a far cry from the conservative Cook, and I have every faith he'd be a brilliant captain for the country.

I think he strays the line between serious and jovial very well. He's almost the perfect mix between somebody like Eoin Morgan, and somebody like Freddie.
WI are the only team to not have been dismissed for under 100 in a test match in the last 10 years. A strange stat, for sure. :redface:
Reply 367
As if the Windies' abject display down under was bad enough, but Sri Lanka have been skittled out for just 117 in 27 overs against NZ in Christchurch in the second ODI.

And they've just gone and dropped Guptill first ball of the NZ innings, Chameera opting for a short ball and it going straight through the fielder's hands for four.

Chameera bowled three wides in his opening over, leaving NZ with 14-0.

Don't think this one will last too much longer...
Bloody hell Yasir - just as Pakistan find a spinner to replace Ajmal, another issue occurs. It seems he may have taken a tablet to ease blood pressure but gutting he won't be in England in 2016 most likely.
Guptill taking SL to the cleaners.
Reply 370
Guptill moves to 42 off just 11 balls! 50-run opening partnership up in the 3rd over.

This is dire stuff from SL.
Reply 371
Boom! Game over, and NZ win by 10 wickets.
Sri Lanka and West Indies should only play each other for the time being.
What is the follow on target for WI? Bravo playing an innings and a half, real statement towards his teammates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 374
A lot of rumours flying around that ABDV will be retiring from international cricket at the end of this series with England, but he's dismissed those this morning. Thank God. He's my favourite player.

There's no doubt that he needs to be managed, though. I think he needs to drop keeping wicket, personally, in a bid to elongate his Test career and remain integral for SA in all three forms of the game.
Always impressive to see someone carry their bat through the innings. He'll be disappointed in his game management at the end of the innings. Don't know why Piedt ran on the 5th ball.
Reply 376
Professional job by England to make short work of the tail and mop up the rest of the SA order. Broad is bowling excellently, he really is. He has always been somebody who seems to over-deliberate and think too much about his deliveries during his run-up, but he seems to be performing naturally now.

He spoke yesterday about how he feels at the height of his powers, and he definitely is in red-ball cricket. It's telling that Anderson has been absent for his best performances in an England shirt this year, which suggests he's ready to step up when the latter retires and calls it a day.

I think he still has something to offer us in white-ball cricket, especially ODIs, but when he's in this sort of Test form, there's every sense in keeping him for red-ball cricket where he can unleash the ultimate amount of carnage on the opposition.

We'll definitely look back at this era of Broad as his pomp.
Guptill you monster!
Anyone else seen that 6 by Andre Russell against Shane Watson in the warm up? Don't think I've ever heard a better noise from a cricket shot.
Reply 379
Excellent work by Guptill, in truth. Devastatingly brutal from the minute he was dropped first ball.

As for WI vs. Australia... at least the visitors played with more intent and purpose than the opening two days, eh? Their resilience was always bound to crumble, and it duly did. They need to be banished from Test cricket against the elite nations until they can compete, in my honest opinion. It's just a waste of time otherwise.

A funny line from Andy Zaltzman on Cricinfo about WI:

"Watching their "display" in Hobart, it was possible to conclude that some of the current side would have struggled to get in as spectators in the 1980s, let alone as players."

Quick Reply

Latest