The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We are sinking in to mediocrity. The fact that people are more outraged by that Mourinho scarf rather than this disasterous run of results shows how bad it has gotten. This wasn't the Chelsea of last season where we drew at home and it was seen as a decent result, this Chelsea side lie 14th with 9 losses and we still can't beat them at home? Van Gaal needs to go now but I highly doubt it will happen any time soon given how brain dead the board seem to be.
United will win the next two league games, then we will go from there.
Original post by Dirtybit
To win titles obviously

I don't think Mourinho would be capable of winning a trophy with this United. Surely, in terms of tactics and man management, Jose is a sideways move from LVG rather than progress.
Scenes when Woodward is working on a deal to secure Pep which is the reason LVG isn't being sacked yet.
Original post by Mackay
I don't think Mourinho would be capable of winning a trophy with this United. Surely, in terms of tactics and man management, Jose is a sideways move from LVG rather than progress.

You are right, I'm not sure Mourinho is the man for us. He is a great manager, however he has almost always walked into teams that are already well developed, such as Real Madrid and Chelsea, this being the reason why he won trophy's almost straight away. United are more a developing team than a developed one at the moment, something I'm not sure how Mourinho would be able to manage, plus he is not always keen on youth players, which is part of United as a club.
Scenes when Woodward is working on a deal to secure Pep which is the reason LVG isn't being sacked yet.

This.

Only the best will do for Ed, so Pep it is!
To win titles obviously

With this squad? The players don't suit what Mourinho typically wants from his sides.

You don't have a target man who can hold up the ball.
You don't have a goalscoring midfield player.
You don't have hardworking wingers or they lack pace.
You don't have a hardman in midfield to dominate.

Would you give Mourinho 50-100mil in January and then another 100mil in the summer?
Original post by Zerforax
With this squad? The players don't suit what Mourinho typically wants from his sides.

Would you give Mourinho 50-100mil in January and then another 100mil in the summer?

Yeah we do:

Fellaini
Herrera
Young
Schneiderlin
Yeah we do:

Fellaini
Herrera
Young
Schneiderlin

Fellani isn't a striker though. He isn't going to give you 20 goals a season.
The same Herrera who has 28 career goals in 255 games? I don't watch Man Utd generally but is he really a goalscoring midfield player?
I don't think Young has shown enough quality to be a "Mourinho winger". Might be hardworking with the odd decent moment but he doesn't even start regularly as far as I'm aware?
Is Schneiderlin good enough? Considering the players that Mourinho has had in his midfields or at the base in the last decade. At the moment he can't even get ahead of Carrick or Schweinsteiger.
Fellani isn't a striker though. He isn't going to give you 20 goals a season.
The same Herrera who has 28 career goals in 255 games? I don't watch Man Utd generally but is he really a goalscoring midfield player?
I don't think Young has shown enough quality to be a "Mourinho winger". Might be hardworking with the odd decent moment but he doesn't even start regularly as far as I'm aware?
Is Schneiderlin good enough? Considering the players that Mourinho has had in his midfields or at the base in the last decade. At the moment he can't even get ahead of Carrick or Schweinsteiger.

Bruh, I wasn't really being serious
lol @zerf
Bruh, I wasn't really being serious

Ah fair enough. I've come across plenty of delusional Man Utd fans in the Man Utd soc thread over the years so I never know when someone is kidding :biggrin:

How many in the squad would you actually want to keep for the future?

DDG, Smalling, Shaw, P.Jones, Mata, Martial, Schneiderlin and Herrera?

Original post by trapking
lol @zerf

:colondollar:
Find it so funny how United fans have spent LVG's entire reign chanting "attack! attack! attack!" and now want him replaced with a manager famed for defensive solidity, organisation, and pragmatism.
Let's stop kidding ourselves. It's highly unlikely we're getting Pep so we should stop hoping for him. Our only option is Mourinho and we should get him ASAP. Today's better-than-usual performance shouldn't prevent LVG getting sacked. The board have to remember the season so far as a whole. One game should not change that.
Wouldn't be surprised if we're back to our normal, boring self vs Swansea with LVG at the helm which is, unfortunately, looking mightly likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what sense are Higuain, Benzema, Milito and Eto'o target men? Costa isn't a target man either, there was a reason why we did use Drogba for specific fixtures last season. Costa tends to run into wide channels and then link up the play via the ground rather than in the air. Similar to Benzema, Eto'o etc. It's lazy to suggest he just requires a target man in his system.

At Inter did he have a goalscoring midfield player? Herrera's goal record last season may or may not be a flash in the pan but there is enough to suggest he could be that man.

At Inter did he even have orthodox wingers? Is Goran Pandev a pacey option to have in that 4-2-1-3 system he liked to employ?

Also Schneiderlin is a hardman in midfield. Is he any worse than e.g. Khedira?

There are very little issues for Mourinho to have in united's system, other than the problems van gaal has at the moment(slow transition play, lack of creativity from the wingers, main striker firing blanks). Add to that the inevitable blank cheque he'll get if he does manage, the problems are fully negated.
Ah fair enough. I've come across plenty of delusional Man Utd fans in the Man Utd soc thread over the years so I never know when someone is kidding :biggrin:

How many in the squad would you actually want to keep for the future?

DDG, Smalling, Shaw, P.Jones, Mata, Martial, Schneiderlin and Herrera?

:colondollar:

Tbf the only players I honestly really care about are DDG, Martial, Shaw, Smalling. I'd also keep Pereira and Memphis due to them being young and Schneiderlin and Blind as squad players. As of the rest none of them would be safe in my eyes.
Tbf the only players I honestly really care about are DDG, Martial, Shaw, Smalling. I'd also keep Pereira and Memphis due to them being young and Schneiderlin and Blind as squad players. As of the rest none of them would be safe in my eyes.

You forgot about Mata and Herrera, bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nah Mata can go...

for me he's way too slow on the ball and get's bullied of it easily. I can play better js.
Original post by qasidb
Let's stop kidding ourselves. It's highly unlikely we're getting Pep so we should stop hoping for him. Our only option is Mourinho and we should get him ASAP. Today's better-than-usual performance shouldn't prevent LVG getting sacked. The board have to remember the season so far as a whole. One game should not change that.
Wouldn't be surprised if we're back to our normal, boring self vs Swansea with LVG at the helm which is, unfortunately, looking mightly likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People want Van Gaal out because:
1: He's tactically stubborn.
2. He plays negative overcautious football
3. He's annoying as **** in the media.
4. Causes problems with players that dent confidence due to his tactics/antics.

Yet people want Mourinho who has the very same traits plus:
1. Refuses to use the youth system.
2. Has a clear case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
3. Will probably take your entire club to court due to a breach of contract.
4. Won't be at the dugout for a decent amount of the season due to accumulating punishments or causing clubs to be fined.

Mourinho may get you to win more games in the short term(probably a title or two) but the wheels will fall off quickly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
People want Van Gaal out because:
1: He's tactically stubborn.
2. He plays negative overcautious football
3. He's annoying as **** in the media.
4. Causes problems with players that dent confidence due to his tactics/antics.

Yet people want Mourinho who has the very same traits plus:
1. Refuses to use the youth system.
2. Has a clear case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
3. Will probably take your entire club to court due to a breach of contract.
4. Won't be at the dugout for a decent amount of the season due to accumulating punishments.

Mourinho may get you to win more games in the short term(probably a title or two) but the wheels will fall off quickly.

A-****ing-men.

Basically what I've been trying to say, but I've been skirting round the point. Jam's nailed it. As you were.

Latest