The Student Room Group

How highly does Ronaldinho rank amongst the great Brazilians?

I find it hard to place him, he had bad patches in his career, but on the other side of things he had very exceptional times. Same thing with Zidane really who had patches of pretty damn rubbish form but had patches of exceptional world class performance.

Scroll to see replies

Ronaldo and Neymar on current form both better. Not sure on the likes of Zico though but those two are the only two in recent times that are better. Kaka probably slightly behind from his Milan days.

Ronaldo, Neymar, Ronaldinho and Kaka in that order. Ronaldinho has had a longer career than Neymar though. Ronaldinho could do everything with the ball. Probably the best manipulator of the ball I've seen in history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Lel @ suggesting Neymar is better than him:biggrin:.

Maybe a case in 10yrs but to say that now is plain stupid.
Reply 3
He is not top 5
Reply 4
Neymar is better huh. Neymar is not close at the moment imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
which ronaldinho?

there's a bald light one
and a long haired black one

lol nvm ronaldo is bald
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Lel @ suggesting Neymar is better than him:biggrin:.

Maybe a case in 10yrs but to say that now is plain stupid.

Goal rate over the past season and a half would suggest otherwise. Ronaldinho has more to his game and has had a longer period on beast form but it's not ridiculous to suggest that Neymar is better based on his current form.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jam277
Goal rate over the past season and a half would suggest otherwise. Ronaldinho has more to his game but it's not ridiculous to suggest that Neymar is better based on his current form.

As an overall player. Ronaldinho could play many positions.
Reply 8
Original post by jam277
Goal rate over the past season and a half would suggest otherwise. Ronaldinho has more to his game and has had a longer period on beast form but it's not ridiculous to suggest that Neymar is better based on his current form.

Put Ronaldinho in that team then its a different story.
He's playing with arguably the best no9 and the best player in the world ffs.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was talking about overall.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
As an overall player. Ronaldinho could play many positions.

Pretty sure Neymar plays in every position Ronaldinho did? Neymar played at ST, LW, AM for Brazil/Barcelona and he's even played at RW once or twice under Martino.
(edited 8 years ago)
Interesting thread. I also find him hard to place.

At his peak in the mid 2000s he was generally regarded as the best player in the world although I felt then that even an ageing Zidane was a more effective player.

His best years were at Barca where they hadn't become as powerful yet as they would later be (although he won the Champions League with them), he was their star. Not sure how he would have fit in to the Guardiola Barca which was much more about team first, individuals second. Ronaldinho was more of an individual player than Messi.

Overall I think he goes down as one of the game's greats but in the second tier of greats.
Top tier: Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazil), Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi
Second tier: Kaka, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Xavi, Bergkamp

edit: sorry I realised your thread was about where he fits with the great Brazilians and my post was about the modern greats in general.

Well amongst Brazilians of my lifetime I put him second to Ronaldo who I think was the most complete striker ever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
man like rk pretending he wasn't 7 years old when Ronaldinho was good
Original post by jam277
Pretty sure Neymar plays in every position Ronaldinho did? Neymar played at ST, LW, AM and he's even played at RW once or twice under Martino.

He is not as good a creative player as Ronaldinho. But yes, a better goalscorer as Neymar is mainly a striker.
Reply 13
Highest tier is reserved for Messi & Ronaldo(C) only:colonhash:

Difeo i will end you fam.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Interesting thread. I also find him hard to place.

At his peak in the mid 2000s he was generally regarded as the best player in the world although I felt then that even an ageing Zidane was a more effective player.

His best years were at Barca where they hadn't become as powerful yet as they would later be (although he won the Champions League with them), he was their star. Not sure how he would have fit in to the Guardiola Barca which was much more about team first, individuals second. Ronaldinho was more of an individual player than Messi.

Overall I think he goes down as one of the game's greats but in the second tier of greats.
Top tier: Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazil), Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi
Second tier: Kaka, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Xavi, Bergkamp

edit: sorry I realised your thread was about where he fits with the great Brazilians and my post was about the modern greats in general.

Well amongst Brazilians of my lifetime I put him second to Ronaldo who I think was the most complete striker ever.

Offtopic but I think Suarez is a better player than Neymar will ever be. He is still within that second tier obv. Along with Henry I think he is the best striker the premier league has had. Ronaldo peaked later when he joined Real.
Original post by Rk2k14
Highest tier is reserved for Messi & Ronaldo(C) only:colonhash:

Difeo i will end you fam.

I think that line was said in jest, but I do think Fat Ronaldo was probably the best striker ever when he was at Serie A playing against the best defences in the world in the most defensively minded league in the world.
Offtopic but I think Suarez is a better player than Neymar will ever be. He is still within that second tier obv. Along with Henry I think he is the best striker the premier league has had. Ronaldo peaked later when he joined Real.

I think you have a point. If I am including Neymar in that second tier of greats I think I'd have to open the door to a lot of other players, including Suarez, Henry, Ibrahimovic, maybe Robben, Pirlo. The pre-injury Gascoigne would be there as well and Batistuta from the 1990s.
I find it hard to place him, he had bad patches in his career, but on the other side of things he had very exceptional times. Same thing with Zidane really who had patches of pretty damn rubbish form but had patches of exceptional world class performance.

not very high. Let himself down, hardly had a full career because of fitness issues.

Massive talent though.
Pele is Tier 1. Garrincha and Ronaldo are Tier 2. Ronaldinho is probably Tier 3 with a whole bunch of other guys.
2nd just behind david luiz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest