The Student Room Group

Bought a Car - Pulling Away Juddering

I recently bought a car and everytime I go to pull away the car seems very juddery/kangorooey, this can be at traffic lights or in a queue.

Now I'm careful with the clutch yet no matter how careful I am the car always seems to judder or start kangorooing, all I do is set the revs, then lift up to the bite to go.

I've had the car long enough to get used to the bite point but I just cannot seem to get it pulling away smoothly and its really starting to annoy me.

I'm just wanting to ask for advice if anyone else has had this problem or any solution to it from their own experience?

(edited 8 years ago)
Apply more gas than you are at the moment? Or else you are lifting up the clutch too fast. These are the two most probable problems I think you may be experiencing?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, see thats what I thought, but it doesnt come anywhere near stalling and when I'm in a queue, if I apply too much gas the cars wants to suddenly accelerate, so I still have no idea why it judders :/
Reply 3
There are two different things here. Is it juddering because it's about to stall? If you look at the tach/rev counter, does it drop to less than 1,000rpm when it's juddering like this? If so, then you need more throttle, or to be more gentle on the clutch.

If it's juddering with a decent amount of revs (1.5k-2krpm) then you're looking at a dual-mass flywheel or clutch problem. How many miles on it?
Reply 4
Could be a worn clutch, oil on the clutch plate or worn clutch spring. Try starting on a hill and see if it has trouble there.
Reply 5
Not enough revs when trying to pull away, to quick on the clutch or wrong gear.
Get a decent second opinion by getting another more experienced driver to pull away.
If you both have an issue, it may be the car.
All cars are different
Especially the 1.4L petrol cars need a little more gas to pull away (and going down to 1.2L petrol engines need more revs lol)
Reply 8
Had this problem on my civic, had to adjust throttle body sensor and replace fuel filter.
Maybe you need to give it a bit more gas. I have a Ford KA and it is very juddery when I pull away because I have to put quite a bit of gas on it. Maybe it is the way Ford are made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Judders if you're careful... what happens if you put far too many revs on and lift the clutch up gently? Does it smooth out or is the juddering still present?
So many mansplainers here blaming it on driver’s error... and they don’t know anything about mechanics. 🤣🤣🤣
Definitely not how ford are made.
Original post by socialscience92
Maybe you need to give it a bit more gas. I have a Ford KA and it is very juddery when I pull away because I have to put quite a bit of gas on it. Maybe it is the way Ford are made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Charlieroggle
So many mansplainers here blaming it on driver’s error... and they don’t know anything about mechanics. 🤣🤣🤣

4 year old thread, now juddered to a halt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest