The Student Room Group

Should I join the gym?

I'm skinny fat and want to lose fat and build muscle. I'm on a budget and the gyms in my area are all around £25 a month.

I am either going to run/do press ups etc. at home (any thing else I can do??) or join the gym to lift weights and use their machines.

Is it worth the price? Somebody help please!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannah194
I'm skinny fat and want to lose fat and build muscle. I'm on a budget and the gyms in my area are all around £25 a month.

I am either going to run/do press ups etc. at home (any thing else I can do??) or join the gym to lift weights and use their machines.

Is it worth the price? Somebody help please!! :smile:

Does your gym offer classes? £25 is quite pricey for a student . I only pay £16 a month and this includes classes, sauna exc
Reply 2
Original post by blossommango97
Does your gym offer classes? £25 is quite pricey for a student . I only pay £16 a month and this includes classes, sauna exc

Yes, most of them are free :smile:

Im not a student any more, just graduated :frown:
Reply 3
You can do a decent upper body workout with just bodyweight exercises (though a few push ups won't do it) but I don't think you can do much worthwhile for your lower body without weight. You almost certainly don't have the cash on hand to buy equipment you kind of need join a gym.

Have yo checked if any are doing new year deals? Like my gym does 12 months for he price of 9. Lots do offers cause they know most who join in January won't stick at it long so you want them stuck in a contract
Reply 4
Original post by BKS
You can do a decent upper body workout with just bodyweight exercises (though a few push ups won't do it) but I don't think you can do much worthwhile for your lower body without weight. You almost certainly don't have the cash on hand to buy equipment you kind of need join a gym.

Have yo checked if any are doing new year deals? Like my gym does 12 months for he price of 9. Lots do offers cause they know most who join in January won't stick at it long so you want them stuck in a contract

I've had a look but no offers on yet should I look again after NY? :smile:

I am on a temporary work contract so could have to move with a few months' notice, can't really do a 12 month gym membership
Exercises makes you metabolism works better and ameliorate circulation of the blood. So, get rid of your doubts!
Reply 6
Original post by RoseScott
Exercises makes you metabolism works better and ameliorate circulation of the blood. So, get rid of your doubts!

Reply 7
I've had a look but no offers on yet should I look again after NY? :smile:

I am on a temporary work contract so could have to move with a few months' notice, can't really do a 12 month gym membership

Might as well check but most doing offers will have started promoting them already
go for it

more importantly, find a good PT
Reply 9
Currently doing bodyweight + kettlebell excercises which you could probably do at home tbh, you could just buy a weight from like argos or something n do it at home if you have the space.

I'd probably recommend joining the gym if youre serious though
Not possible to lose fat and build muscles at the same time.
Reply 11
Original post by Schrodi's cat
go for it

more importantly, find a good PT

Do I need a pt? :smile:
It depends what you really want to do. I joined one and got bored so quickly. I have the option of pay as you go, which is imo so much easier.

Yes to gym and no to a PT.

All the information you need is on google. Anyway, there are much better things to be spending money on than an over-priced spotter.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Original post by BatmanRH

Is that because you need to eat a lot (of protein) to build muscles?

I think maybe she meant toning the muscles, rather than actually gaining mass.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Is that because you need to eat a lot (of protein) to build muscles?

I think maybe she meant toning the muscles, rather than actually gaining mass.

Want to do both but not at the same time :smile:
Original post by hannah194
want to do both but not at the same time :smile:

Oh I see, I misread at first, So bulk up before loosing weight?

What is your planned set for doing it at home?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by BatmanRH

You are talking rubbish. Gaining muscle mass is to do overloading your muscles so they increase in size as a response. Gaining fat is eating excess calories and the body changes into fat to be stored in fat cells.

The two processes are unrelated. Body builders eat excess calories because they have to exercise to overload their muscles and that takes a lot of energy. Adding muscle only take a few more grams of protein a day than a non body builder needs.

Lots of body builders can eat twice the calories of a normal person without gaining fat and even loose it because its all burned as energy.
(edited 8 years ago)

yes, but I mean, there must be someone who works in the gym and can tell you what to do properly

Quick Reply

Latest