The Student Room Group

Biology A2 help/advice please.

It is the only subject (Edexcel) I am finding difficult. I've tried making notes, flashcards, diagrams but I just can't process Photosynthesis. :erm:

Any advice? Thank you. :blushing:
Are you doing Edexcel SNAB Biology?
what specifically dont you get
check out page 4

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Utm1y9BK3FEXgZgotV1F-CJHKwzh-Pb1NdRkF_TNmvg/edit?usp=sharing

read it 5 times and picture whats going on in your head with the aid of my diagrams
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Proxenus
check out page 4

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Utm1y9BK3FEXgZgotV1F-CJHKwzh-Pb1NdRkF_TNmvg/edit?usp=sharing

read it 5 times and picture whats going on in your head with the aid of my diagrams

Woah thank you.

I struggle with Photosynthesis mainly because there is just too much information to process. I can't remember the steps. :sad:
I know it's a lot of information, but human brains are pretty awesome and you can learn anything you put your mind to. If you keep testing yourself on it and correcting yourself when you make a mistake, you WILL be able to memorise the steps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Dinaa
It is the only subject (Edexcel) I am finding difficult. I've tried making notes, flashcards, diagrams but I just can't process Photosynthesis. :erm:

Any advice? Thank you. :blushing:

Hey! What I've found with biological processes like photosynthesis where it follows a series of steps is that it really helps if you can understand what the core aim of the pathway is. For oxidative phosphorylation, the final aim is to reduce oxygen to water and in the process, you generate ATP through the electron transport chain.

Photosynthesis is similar although you obviously have both the elctron-transport element and also the cycle element. For photosynthesis I found it useful to follow the path of the electrons. Where do they enter, what do they pass through and what do they reduce at the end? If you know that and you also learn the diagrams then if you forget one, you're very likely to remember the other. For example if you forget the order of the complexes in the diagram but you know the route of the electrons then that will almost certainly remind you (or vice versa). Unfortunately, this is the nature of biology and if you want to continue to study any of its many branches at degree level then you will have to find a way of learning these things in vast volumes. Particularly degrees in biochemistry or that are heavily biochemistry focused (I'm a 3rd year biochemist so I'd know!). Learning the huge quantities of information is often the greatest challenge of biology but it can be very satisfying when you get it to click!

PS my apologies for not making very specific references to photosynthesis, I don't know the process all that well off the top of my head, at 1am.
Reply 7
Original post by Laurasaur
I know it's a lot of information, but human brains are pretty awesome and you can learn anything you put your mind to. If you keep testing yourself on it and correcting yourself when you make a mistake, you WILL be able to memorise the steps :smile:

Thank you, I'm going to just keep repeating. :smile:

Original post by AaronSMG
Hey! What I've found with biological processes like photosynthesis where it follows a series of steps is that it really helps if you can understand what the core aim of the pathway is. For oxidative phosphorylation, the final aim is to reduce oxygen to water and in the process, you generate ATP through the electron transport chain.

Photosynthesis is similar although you obviously have both the elctron-transport element and also the cycle element. For photosynthesis I found it useful to follow the path of the electrons. Where do they enter, what do they pass through and what do they reduce at the end? If you know that and you also learn the diagrams then if you forget one, you're very likely to remember the other. For example if you forget the order of the complexes in the diagram but you know the route of the electrons then that will almost certainly remind you (or vice versa). Unfortunately, this is the nature of biology and if you want to continue to study any of its many branches at degree level then you will have to find a way of learning these things in vast volumes. Particularly degrees in biochemistry or that are heavily biochemistry focused (I'm a 3rd year biochemist so I'd know!). Learning the huge quantities of information is often the greatest challenge of biology but it can be very satisfying when you get it to click!

PS my apologies for not making very specific references to photosynthesis, I don't know the process all that well off the top of my head, at 1am.

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Dinaa
Thank you, I'm going to just keep repeating. :smile:

Thank you so much :smile:

hi my names kieron and my dog stan just died. my sister is called nicole and my mum likes carl but i dont and one time she bough him a car for crimbo and got me only a pair of chinos and it was shady, thanks:smile:
Original post by kizzahazza66
hi my names kieron and my dog stan just died. my sister is called nicole and my mum likes carl but i dont and one time she bough him a car for crimbo and got me only a pair of chinos and it was shady, thanks:smile:

send
Reply 10
Original post by kizzahazza66

lolwut
Reply 11
videos helped me the most

i do OCR but i got photosynthesis really well from this guy
[video="youtube;qD8lOZUoi58"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD8lOZUoi58&list=PLiJa1PAsFO7ovxSXepr3J6xNjJ c-Hlwsz&index=5[/video]
check out page 4

Hey those notes are really good, what exam board are they specifically for since im doing AQA?
Original post by november321
Hey those notes are really good, what exam board are they specifically for since im doing AQA?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6OS8sZ7oGTqQUJQUEI4RWpfUW8&usp=sharing

thank you so much, you are amazing! What grade did u get in biology with these notes and when did u start past papers? x

Also are there any notes for unit 4 AQA bio? i think the link only has 1,2 and 5
Also are there any notes for unit 4 AQA bio? i think the link only has 1,2 and 5

what about now? and the formatting is ****ed up
what about now? and the formatting is ****ed up

na its not that mucked up and yes its on their now, thanks! whats the difference between the general notes and optimal notes?
na its not that mucked up and yes its on their now, thanks! whats the difference between the general notes and optimal notes?

optimal are the ones that I personally need focusing and also straight to the key points where the marks are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending