The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by XcitingStuart
This feels like a gateway to breeding out Muslim people in Western countries. :s-smilie:

Don't muslims have like 10 children per female. Whereas for children conceived from donated sperm, it's like 0.01 children per female.

Hardly going to make a difference.
Original post by ubisoft
No idea how race comes into this?

Race is always on the mind of brown and black people BECAUSE we have to deal with racism EVERYDAY.
I hope the people cheering this on in this thread realise the vast majority of them also wouldn't make the cut.

Over 6ft
Earn above 6 figures
Very good looking
Very intelligent
No family history of disease
No family history of male pattern baldness

The list of unspoken requirements goes on.
Reply 43
I have no problem with this so long as the women receiving these "donations" are also screened for these conditions and refused sperm on the same grounds.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Race is always on the mind of brown and black people BECAUSE we have to deal with racism EVERYDAY.

I can assure you, from a non-white perspective, this is not a race issue whatsoever
Original post by defenestrated
but it's not
this way, an increased number of babies born are healthy
while people with disabilites of any sort should be respected, it is not something you want to pass down

But saying that babies shouldn't be born with certain disabilities or neurological differences is the same as saying that you don't think people with those disabilities or people who are neurodivergent are worth less or can contribute less or live less good lives. And that IS ableism.
Wtf? :lolwut:
Britain's largest sperm bank bans men with dyslexia, autism and ADHD from donating, triggering outrage over 'eugenics'

London Sperm Bank admits it screens men for 'neurological conditions'

These include dyslexia, ADHD, autism and Asperger's syndrome

Campaigners have accused the clinic of 'eugenics' - attempting to genetically improve the human race

Fertility watchdog has launched investigation in light of the claims

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3377811/Britain-s-largest-sperm-bank-bans-men-dyslexia-autism-ADHD-donating-triggering-outrage-eugenics.html

Frankly, I'm not outraged about this because they are banning men on the autistic spectrum
but because this seems like a gateway to breeding out black and brown people in Western countries. Am I right to be worried about this?

wow, you really are two-faced aren't you :lol: jesus christ
"w/e, **** those autistic people, I only care about my own group. every group for themselves"

but to actually response to this thread - sperm banks are all about eugenics - that's the point. if it wasn't, then women wouldn't need to go there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48

Is the 5p plastic bag charge a racist conspiracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl
But saying that babies shouldn't be born with certain disabilities or neurological differences is the same as saying that you don't think people with those disabilities or people who are neurodivergent are worth less or can contribute less or live less good lives. And that IS ableism.

the quality of life is reduced, though.
if blindness could be passed down through sperm, wouldn't you say that should be banned too? (I'm not actually sure the ruling on things like that)
bottom line is, you would want your child to be healthy as opposed to unhealthy.
of course if the child ends up with disability anyway then you should support them and they can still lead a good life, but reducing the risk is definitely worth it.

besides, a lot of men won't have even considered donating sperm, it's not particularly something that's a big deal to go without doing. :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by XcitingStuart
P.S. I was joking.

You're going to have to up your troll game. There's people saying (and believing) much stupider **** on here.
Reply 51

shut up cuz. I'm brown and I don't have to deal with racism. Don't include me in your victim mentality bs. This isnt tumblr.

Yes, racism is on your mind and you have to deal with that everyday. But I (and many other disabled people) face ableism everyday too. And that's also wrong. But you don't get to find something ableist (or oppressive to any other marginalised group) and decide it's racist. The oppression you experience is wrong. But so is the oppression I experience.
Original post by defenestrated
the quality of life is reduced, though.
if blindness could be passed down through sperm, wouldn't you say that should be banned too? (I'm not actually sure the ruling on things like that)
bottom line is, you would want your child to be healthy as opposed to unhealthy.
of course if the child ends up with disability anyway then you should support them and they can still lead a good life, but reducing the risk is definitely worth it.

besides, a lot of men won't have even considered donating sperm, it's not particularly something that's a big deal to go without doing. :tongue:

Do you know why disabled people face more difficulties than abled people? Because abled people ignore the accommodations that disabled people need to access education, jobs, health care and basically everything.

And being dyslexic, autistic and/or having ADHD =/= unhealthy.
Yes, racism is on your mind and you have to deal with that everyday. But I (and many other disabled people) face ableism everyday too. And that's also wrong. But you don't get to find something ableist (or oppressive to any other marginalised group) and decide it's racist. The oppression you experience is wrong. But so is the oppression I experience.

Let's not do that. Let's not go there and pit disenfranchised groups against each other. In fact, you'll find it that disabled black men and women are doubly oppressed.
Reply 55

Do BLACK and BROWN people have to DEAL with racism in their OWN countries too?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
This is alarming: many people I know are to certain extent autistic [it's a spectrum] and are successful and beneficial. ADHD people, although may be more inclined to physical violence, are in fact less lazy, more risk-taking and entrepreneurial which is overall beneficial. Consider how many ADHD people built America. Many of us on TSR probably have a dyslexia.

We start with sperm banks but where do we go from there; the fact that a serious public body forbids such a people from donating means several conceptual implications, in primis, that these people should not multiply because their 'disease' will be passed on.

Oh how cute cosmopolitan and pacified society is today's Britain. If it was not for the ADHD of the leading warlords of the Anglo Saxons England would never even exist, and Scotland would cease to exist if it was not for the ADHD of Mel Gibson and others and it would have been enslaved by their ADHD Saxon overlords.
It is simplistic to regard mental health conditions or behavioural problems as being purely genetic. There is a wide range of rigorous evidence that shows that environmental factors are also involved.

In humans one copy of each chromosome is inherited from the female parent and the other from the male parent. This explains why children inherit some of their traits from their mother and others from their father.The pattern of inheritance is different for the small circular chromosome found in mitochondria.

Only egg cells - and not sperm cells - keep their mitochondria during fertilization. So, mitochondrial DNA is always inherited from the female parent. In humans, a few conditions, including some forms of hearing impairment and diabetes, have been associated with DNA found in the mitochondria.

Mitochondrial disorders

Symptoms include poor growth, loss of muscle coordination, muscle weakness, visual problems, hearing problems, learning disabilities, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, gastrointestinal disorders, respiratory disorders, neurological problems, autonomic dysfunction and dementia.

:colonhash:hmmmmmmmm
Do you know why disabled people face more difficulties than abled people? Because abled people ignore the accommodations that disabled people need to access education, jobs, health care and basically everything.

And being dyslexic, autistic and/or having ADHD =/= unhealthy.

so changing a worldwide system and certain people's mindsets, instead of a simple and pretty harmless ban?
People do need to make more accomodations for disabled people, I agree, but women want to have the highest possible chance that their baby will be healthy/abled and this is just reducing the risk
Reply 59
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Personally I don't see anything wrong with what they've done. Strange world where attempting to "improve the human race" is used as a criticism.

(I'm going to ignore your attempt to turn this into a race thing.)

True but the thing is that the attempt isn't exactly a good one. Numerous people suspected to have Asperger's have made incredible contributions to the human race, and from what I've read on ADHD many people with it are, though generally unfocused, capable of "hyperfocus" on things that catch their interest and it seems this may well be an asset in certain situations. I don't know too much about dyslexia and more severe autistic spectrum disorders but there are definitely tons of accomplished dyslexics.
edit: well it actually says so in the article, probably should have read it first lol
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending