The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nat3001
I left school with only GCSE's in 1997 😳
I'm part way through an access to health science diploma so am no help to you at all! Sorry 😀

Oh! thank you anyway :smile:
Anyone got an offer from Adult Nursing for Northumbria (Sept 2016)?

I've got an offer but not seen many postings on here - would be great to hear from people :smile:
Reply 1582
Original post by JJW182015
Oh that's fine then
Thank you:smile:

Sorry I forgot to say that I did the Maths and English on a different day. If you're doing both then maybe allow 4 - 5 hours! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, just wondering if anyone could explain what the literacy tests are like?
I understand what I need to revise/learn for the numeracy one, but I do not get what I should be revising for the literacy one. Any tips would be really grateful!

Also I'm so nervous for the interviews for child nursing - has anyone got any tips on what I should be prepared for? :smile:
Hi there. I was wondering, how long on average did you all have to wait to receive a response from your chosen Unis?

I sent mine off to my five (Kings, Kingston, BCU, QUB and LSBU) and while I have received confirmation that they have received my application, I have yet to hear anything else off them since the 17th (the day that I completed and submitted my UCAS application), be it an interview offer or a rejection.

Now of course it's the Xmas period, so I would expect it to take a while for them to look through my application and respond, but I'm getting very nervous...

I get that horrible feeling that I'm going to get rejected :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bamber73

I've got an offer but not seen many postings on here - would be great to hear from people :smile:

Hi, I got an offer from Northumbria for Sept 2016, can`t wait to get stuck in.
Original post by Male nurses rock

I got an offer alsooo
Original post by Bamber73

Hey! I got an interview offer for Northumbria for Adult Nursing :smile:
Hi :smile: Does anyone know if theres a maths test at the Northumbria Interview?
Reply 1589
I was wondering if anyone has got an offer from Coventry or University of East Anglia? so happy I have offers from them!

Kings College London rejected me after my tests& interview (I think they rejected me because of the tests)

I have a test day at DMU and an interview at Nottingham in January.

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Original post by mitalj
I was wondering if anyone has got an offer from Coventry or University of East Anglia? so happy I have offers from them!

Kings College London rejected me after my tests& interview (I think they rejected me because of the tests)

Hi, sorry to hear that you got rejected from Kings I'm sure you will get offers from the other universities. I was wondering how the Kings English and maths tests were?
Original post by mitalj

Hi there, sorry to hear about your rejection. How was the interview process?

Did they do the test and interview on the same day? And did they let you know there and then, or did they let you know later on?

Good luck to you with the other two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody had an interview at kings? I attended the test day and passed and am there for interview next Thursday. I know there's a non-disclosure agreement but how was the actual interview itself without giving too much info?
Reply 1593
Original post by D-Student
Hi there, sorry to hear about your rejection. How was the interview process?

Did they do the test and interview on the same day? And did they let you know there and then, or did they let you know later on?

Good luck to you with the other two!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now looking back at it, I wouldn't imagine my self in central London as it is very manic and expensive. The interview at kings was fine, the staff and student helpers made me feel comfortable. The interview questions weren't too hard I struggled with the English test. As I live outside of London I had the tests and interview on the same day. They got back to me through UCAS about 2 weeks later. Hope this helps you! Thank you :smile:
Original post by fc93
Sorry I forgot to say that I did the Maths and English on a different day. If you're doing both then maybe allow 4 - 5 hours! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the heads up.
Original post by Male nurses rock

Hi,
can i ask what did you wear to your interview/interviews because I feel over dressed in a suit and underdressed in casual smart. Do you know what I mean? If you have any suggestions it'll help a lot.
Thanks
Original post by mitalj

Congratulations on all your offers!
I would also like to apply to Kings and Nottingham next year so I was wondering what a level options you took and your predicted grades :smile:
Thank you
Original post by lilyolivia123
What options did you take and what are you predicted grades thank you :smile:

I applied for Adult Nursing. I am studying chemistry, Biology and Geography.My predicted grades are AAB. :smile:
got an offer from coventry
Original post by lilyolivia123
What options did you take and what are you predicted grades thank you :smile:

Hi,
Thought I'd help you.
Options that you should consider are things like human biology or chemistry at AS/A2.
Dont worry yourself much about science, I did worry that I'd get rejected for not passing GCSE science but it doesn't seem to matter if you've got a decent grade or equivalent.
Obviously you need some knowledge of the human body so I would suggest if not "hard" sciences then psychology instead.
Psychology has helped a lot with me, getting a decent grade in that would help a lot because it's quite a lengthy and a difficult qualification especially with the new specification changes.
If your college offers vocational courses I would strongly recommend health and social care - it's even offered at a level at some colleges so that would be a good bonus (specifically level 3) or you could do the national extended diploma in health and social care for I think it's 2 - 3 years but I'm unsure. this subject is equivalent to 3 a levels and can be be accepted for studying nursing.
Also another a level is sociology. I don't think it's classed as scientifically beneficial as psychology is but it's still a social science that would also be useful.
Religious studies (theology) is apparently good for applying to nursing. I wouldn't really think so myself but I can see why because it gives you knowledge on different religions, offering different perspectives
Tackling prejudices blah blah. You can see how this is an alright a level for nursing.
Other diplomas you could take are something like childcare and development but I don't know if they still teach it you'll have to look into it.
Apparently general studies but I wouldn't recommend it really as a lot of universities don't take/accept it.
English is a good one
Maths maybe
Languages- I think this is a good one and will definitely stand out on your application.
Physical education- I hate PE but I suppose you learn about keeping the body healthy and such as you would be advising your patients on maintaining their own health.
others like: law, geography, economics could be seen as useful.
I took psychology, sociology and health and social care. Predicted grades A,B and distinction*
Sorry if it's lengthy but I was bored so I thought I'd help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending