The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I kinda agree. But I think it should only be increased to 18. Which theres not much point but still.
Well, with the info you gave in the OP, 17 year olds should be the least likely to drink drive then :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Skeptyle
Well, with the info you gave in the OP, 17 year olds should be the least likely to drink drive then :smile:

that is true, but still the most likely to crash
Reply 4
I don't think so, I started driving at 17, I'm 22 now and I've never been involved in an accident. Also it's actually quite difficult for a 17 year old to even begin driving as insurance is so high, so they would be the ones to drive more carefully to avoid even higher insurance in the future. Also say the driving age limit was increased to say 21 that would still be a 'new' thing and would thus attract immaturity towards it.
No. Think of all the time that would be wasted.
Reply 6
How about we lower the drinking age so they can drink in a pub:biggrin:
Reply 7
No. Your capactiy to learn is better when younger.
How about if you fail first time you should have to wait 6 months before re-applying. Or instead make the error allowance lower.
Reply 9
No it should be lowered imo. A lot of people ie my dad drove a car before age of 17. He started driving at 13 I think, which means he now has around 40+ years of driving experience. I'm not saying lower it to 13 but 16 would be a good age. Also I would've loved to have taken my driving lessons earlier. Driving earlier has its benefits.
Reply 10
Original post by SmellyProtein
How about if you fail first time you should have to wait 6 months before re-applying. Or instead make the error allowance lower.

people who pass 1st time are statistically most dangerous. They have the least time learning before they can go out on their own
Original post by arfah
A lot of people ie my dad drove a car before age of 17. He started driving at 13 I think, which means he now has around 40+ years of driving experience. .

The U.K. Age for driving has been 17 since 1930

Arguably, given the amount of traffic and complexity of the roads/cars now 18 could be better.
Personally, I think all drivers should have to learn road sense on mopeds or small motorcycles.
Make a mistake and it hurts. Most bikers make good drivers
Reply 12
Original post by tobie123
It is ridiculous that at 17 you are allowed to drive a car but aren't old enough to drink in a pub. I think 17 is too young to be driving, especially for boys who are still immature at that age. Most 17 year old drivers crash soon after passing

Maybe they should have a certain amount of lessons before taking the test.
Reply 14
I know this would be controversial but maybe the age for girls and boys being able to drive should be different. Keep girls at 17 but increase boys to 19 or 20. this would take boys passsed the school years where they drive to and from school or college with a car full of their mates, which is when most of accidents happen
nah, because most 17 year olds aren't really going to be driving *until* they're 18 anyway. and if they pass their test at 17? well it's not a matter of age, is it? it's a matter of the actual test :hi:
Reply 16
Original post by chikane
Maybe they should have a certain amount of lessons before taking the test.

yes that may work. I got a lift last night from a lad on my footy team, just passed yesterday and had only turned 17 in november. It was his first time driving in the dark, he had no confidence
I think it's less to do with age and more to do with stupidity. I've seen some proper idiots on the road who are obviously 30+. If you're sensible/mature at 17 and can drive a car with care and consideration for other road users then why shouldn't you be legally allowed to drive when there are absolute twonks driving who are 30/40/50/60?
What people often don't think about is how problematic changing the minimum driving age would be. The majority of people learning to drive and taking their tests are people who've just turned 17. If the age was increased to 18 then there would be an entire year when no one would become old enough to drive. You'd then have to work out what to do with all the unemployed driving instructors, examiners and theory testing staff.
Reply 19
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I think it's less to do with age and more to do with stupidity. I've seen some proper idiots on the road who are obviously 30+. If you're sensible/mature at 17 and can drive a car with care and consideration for other road users then why shouldn't you be legally allowed to drive when there are absolute twonks driving who are 30/40/50/60?

There are ofcourse exceptions, but the majority of 17 year old boys are still immature. I know I was at that age, and both me and lots of my mates had crashes because we weren't ready to be driving

Latest

Trending

Trending